Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member, On The Hunt For Is, A Few Questions...

Guybrush

Hello all, new here.

I'm currently looking for a Lexus IS200 SE or sport in metallic blue or black (old shape.) Preferrably with beige interior. My partner had an IS200 about 2 years ago as a company car, but replaced it with the new 3 series, which by comparrison to the IS200 is highly gay. To rectify this, I'm getting rid of my company van and opting for car allowance, using the monthly injection of company funds to get another IS200, hurrah!

A few questions:

Is the sound system in all IS200's the same or was there the option of getting a premium sound system?

Is it better to go for a newer car with higher miles, or an older car with fewer miles?

Any particular faults to look out for when purchasing? I know about the clutch judder thing...

My partners IS smelled like a wet dog when putting on the AirCon, is this a common thing, or just worn filters?

Any advice greatly appreciated. I like the look of the forum, and will have a look around in due course.

Cheers.

Hi there, welcome to LOC!

With regard to age and mileage, I don't think either really bother the IS much, but all depends on your budget - how much are you looking to spend?

Depending on budget, I'd say at least try and get yourself one of the updated models ('51' plate onwards) as there were tweaks that made the car better, mainly being the stereo that didn't jam up. '04' onwards got full leather, and '05' on got satnav as standard.

The SE and Sport models had an uprated 8 speaker sound system - best to go for one of these.

Smelly aircon just needs to be cleaned, not really a big issue.

Good luck finding the right car :)

Welcome to the LOC

As you said the IS200 old shape i'm not sure what you mean as there isnt an old or new shape. The new Lexus IS is the 250 or 220.

As long as you look for an IS with a top loading stereo as these where the ones that didnt have all the faults. And would recommend going for a sport as you get the extras.

Mileage and age shouldnt be a problem as stated just depends on your budget. The ball joints and radiator leaking are common faults and make sure the cam belt has been changed as well as the tensioners if the car has reached 60k. The other issue with the IS is the wheel geometry and there is a fault from standard which causes poor handling and inside tyre wear so check any car for this and if spotted speak to the Dr on here (wheels in motion) and get it sorted for around £100.

Theres not much more i van think of at the minute and hope you find one soon.

Thanks for the welcome...

My budget is up to a maximum of £9000. I should get a nice one for that price. I went to see one last weekend, a blue SE with 44000 miles on it, beige leather seats and sat nav up for £8750. The only thing wrong with it was the sold sticker on the windscreen.

The information about the stereo has been most helpful. I loved the sound system in my partners old SE, I couldn't believe it was standard.

With that budget you shouldnt have a problem getting a 01 onwards with a fairly low mileage. I think the stereos are superb but then if your sat next to DJ Wozza's you wouldnt be able to hear the standard one :lol:

Once you've picked up your motor try and come along to some of the meets as well mate

Welcome to LOC :)

Good luck finding the car you're after - are you a Monkey Island fan?

I am indeed. Many wasted hours spent in front of an Amiga 1200 as a child...

Does anybody know when AutoTrader updates it's website with new cars?

Autotrader == everyday :D Traders with web sites, you (as in not trader) can do anyday, but if you use the old way, autotrader comes and takes pic, and you want it in the mag, then thurs :winky:

Hope this helps

ps, Welcome to loc

really weird !! :o

your name made me remember the old monkey islands, just got down from the loft trying to find them .....sadly couldn`t ;)

oh and another thing, welcome to LOC

I am sure you will find a nice example out there, there is a good choice about now

try and find the newest car with the lowest mileage, both high mileage and older cars will put future buyers off even though they are sound

Rikos have u heard mine ?

£6800 is what I'd try to pay or even less.

Is it full Lexus Service History ?

Check inner trye wear on front, can be sorted easily by The Dr as stated.

Enjoy your car when u get it, I love mine to bits :wub:

Not had the pleasure of listening to your stereo yet mate hopefully will do soon.

Sounds like a good car mate, as DJ Wozza has said if you do want to buy then try a really low price and work from that. Depending on where it is maybe a member from the LOC can go and have a look for you save you the initial journey.

How much did you pay in the end ?

Don't forget ASAP to go see The Dr. for wheel geometry check up !

I paid £7200 and got extended warranty, tax, and full tank of petrol thrown in (not that that will last long :winky: )

Who is this doctor of which you speak? I have read a few things about him. Where abouts is he, and how much is his check up? Can I get it done through the NHS?

Insurance quotes are coming in at around £700, with 0 NCB (because of driving company van for 4 years.) I can live with that.

Cant wait to pick it up!!

Go see the Dr. (Tony@ wheels-inmotion.co.uk or click HERE and send him a message)

Mine was close but not quite right, feels much better now.

The range of Geometry checks & adjustment is incredible

compared to a "laser 4 wheel tracking" set up most places

provide. You will not regret it, get it done within 100 miles

of delivery if I were u.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links