Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leather Cleaning/conditioning

My IS250 was 18 months old when I chopped it in. The passenger and rear seats were like new as 90% of the time I was the only person in it. My seat wore very well, it looked used but didn't look too bad. I never used anything on the leather.

Apparently the quality of the leather used by Lexus is very good. It's been said that they only use leather from the belly of the animal as this less prone to natural damage (bites etc.) Not sure how true it is and how much is sales and marketing spin... :unsure:

Apparently the quality of the leather used by Lexus is very good. It's been said that they only use leather from the belly of the animal as this less prone to natural damage (bites etc.) Not sure how true it is and how much is sales and marketing spin... :unsure:

A bit like the one piece Yamaha piano wood on the consoles...

It is very good quality though - not too plasticky shiny, and matt and it stays that way too. Not as good as genuine Nappa, but much better than the ripple effect elephant hide effect in some of the cars...

for those of you that clean/condition ur leather on is250/220's..what do u use? and also for those that have had it for a while now..like a year or more..whats the wear situation like?

I have used the Lexus branded Leather cleaner (pump spray bottle) on the IS200, it's pH balanced and also has some Lanolin content, but now I use Turtle Wax Platinum series Leather Cleaner & Conditioner which cleans, moisturises & protects. Does 'exactly what it says on the tin' or in this case plastic bottle :D

mm thx. just wanted to make sure the leather would last n wouldn't start cracking etc :)

The leather on my IS200 was just starting to show signs of aging when I bought it 5 years ago. At that time it was just over 2 years old. Thought it was worth treating the 250's leather with conditioner now rather than wait for it to show signs of hardening and cracking. The leather is still very soft and supple, and it's got 5 months to go for it's second birthday. Hopefully it'll stay like that if I continue to treat it. :unsure: Wife says I should try using it on myself...cheeky cow.

• 4 weeks later...

I can strongly recommend Mer Leather cleaner (blue bottle - available from Halfords). I saw it came out top in a magazine test of various products so decided to buy it when I got my IS250SE, which was 15 months/15K when I got it, and has a black interior. Every time I use the Mer on the leather, it brings up the seats beautifully - they look like new. The condition of my seats was good anyway, but I find they can look a bit dull/finger-marked and applying the Mer makes all the difference.

Only thing that bugs me about the seats is that a few of the wee ventilation holes in the leather are white. It's like a crumb, or some cleaner has got stuck in them, but serious vacuuming and other efforts make no difference. It's just a few holes that are affected but it bugs me as I want my car to look pristine :unsure:

Anyone got any ideas how that can be resolved?

Can you believe it? I've just hoovered my car, and I have the same problem. Then I saw this post!!

What I have done is wacked the seat and some do come out...in my case it was the crisps that kids have ben eating in the car!!

I got a cocktail stick and shoved some of the trickly blighters back in... :unsure:

As far as leather conditioning is concerned, I got some leather wipes from a £ shop. They do the trick...

I think anything will work, but really I am gonna get that Mer stuff if it's any good...

Basically, Leather is a skin.. so anything you would use on your own skin will work fine..

A neutral soap such as Dove will clean the leather if it's really bad... but don't go overboard with the water.

Any hand cream/lotion that contains lanolin will soften and protect the leather..

John

Hi guys

Dont be using anything too harsh on them leather seats the paint will come right off and that includes skin care products. i use Gliptone cleaner and when dry use Gliptone conditioner. these products are not available from high street stores but are on the internet, just google search for it, not to bad prices either. store bought products are rubbish at best as you have to wipe off the excess residues. if it worked properly the product would soak into the leather to condition it just like Gliptone does and not scrubbing off the crap left over from all your hard work. BUY GLIPTONE if its good enough for Rolls Royce, Bentley etc etc its good enough for our Lexus' AND IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN. twenty thousand miles and still perfectly as new condition, have kids too. Guitareth ditch that mer the holes are full of residue probably and use a cocktail stick gently to clear the holes i had the same trouble.

Hi guys

Dont be using anything too harsh on them leather seats the paint will come right off and that includes skin care products. i use Gliptone cleaner and when dry use Gliptone conditioner. these products are not available from high street stores but are on the internet, just google search for it, not to bad prices either. store bought products are rubbish at best as you have to wipe off the excess residues.

Well, to be honest I cant say I've noticed any excess residues when I use Mer.

if it worked properly the product would soak into the leather to condition it just like Gliptone does and not scrubbing off the crap left over from all your hard work.

Mer does sink right in, with no residue, but I do buff off the surfaces a couple of minutes afterwards with a dry duster as per instructions, and that brings up the leather with a nice as new shine.

Guitareth ditch that mer the holes are full of residue probably and use a cocktail stick gently to clear the holes i had the same trouble.

No, it's not residue from the Mer either. I've not had any new white holes since applying the Mer. The white spots were there before and I haven't managed to shift them by vacuuming or with Mer. I will try the idea of using a cocktail stick though, and let you know how I get on.