Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Bearing How Easy To Replace?

Andy-R

I need to change my front wheel bearings and could do with some advice, I basically need to know how easy they are to do, are the any special tools required and do I need a press? or can they be done by hand? don't really want to pay someone to do them if I can do them myself. :unsure:

ok cheers Fluff, looks like it's going to a garage then.

I need to get this done as well, if you dont mind when you have it done could you pm me the price so i can see a rough bench mark of cost, I need to budget for this so would be very greatful for the info

Cheers Elliott

I've had a knocking noise for about 3 weeks, i've had ball joints, wish bone, brakes, drop links, anti roll bars, bushers, shocks, and tyres all checked and there all fine, now it's starting to whine a bit so thats why i'm guessing bearings (if not then at least there done). Why do you think yours need doing are they just whining or have you had a knock aswell?

Just a rough idea £65 each for bearings from my local parts stockist, and i guess about 2 hours work at a garage about £40 per hour so I reckon about £210ish. I'm going to book mine in next week so will let you know exactly how much but different garages charge different prices for labour.

I'm getting n/s front done Tuesday, o/s is ok it's going to cost me £160 all in, i'm 99% convinced thats the problem although it's unusual for a bearing to knock!

Been in and had the bearing replaced today, knocking all gone, Happy Days.

• 1 month later...
I've had a knocking noise for about 3 weeks, i've had ball joints, wish bone, brakes, drop links, anti roll bars, bushers, shocks, and tyres all checked and there all fine, now it's starting to whine a bit so thats why i'm guessing bearings (if not then at least there done). Why do you think yours need doing are they just whining or have you had a knock aswell?

Just a rough idea £65 each for bearings from my local parts stockist, and i guess about 2 hours work at a garage about £40 per hour so I reckon about £210ish. I'm going to book mine in next week so will let you know exactly how much but different garages charge different prices for labour.

I'm getting n/s front done Tuesday, o/s is ok it's going to cost me £160 all in, i'm 99% convinced thats the problem although it's unusual for a bearing to knock!

Been in and had the bearing replaced today, knocking all gone, Happy Days.

Wandering if you can help me. Im getting a very slight knocking noise when going over very small bumps. Its almost like i can feel the knocking under my peddle so its definaltely drivers side. Garage has checked all suspension brakes e.t.c. Was this the same symptoms you were getting ?

Thanks

£65 for a bearing!!! ur having a laugh..... try find the number of the bearing and ask a bearing stockist i am sure it will be a lot cheaper

Thats how much the part is from lexus, mine totaled to over £100 as replace all the seals, nuts, clips etc, but it is smooth now :)

the seal fair enough, but the basic cost for the bearing appears to be expensive in relation to general prices of bearings from a bearing stockist - if anyone has the number of the bearing or even the size i would like to find out the cost - i wouldnt be surprised if its less than half the cost.

From the Toyota EPC...

BEARING (FOR FRONT AXLE HUB)

IS200/300: 90363-32035 (also Toyota Crown from Dec 95-Dec 03)

GS300/430 Mk.1/2: 90903-63006 (also Toyota Supra from Oct 93-May 96)

LS400 (to Jul 97): 90903-63006 (also Toyota Supra from Oct 93-May 96)

LS400 (Jul 97 to Aug 00): 90903-63011 (also Toyota Century from Aug 98)

RX300 (to Feb 03): 90369-43008 (also MR2 SW20 from Dec 89-Aug 99 plus some Camries)

SC430: 90903-63006 (also Toyota Supra from Oct 93-May 96)

But that is the toyota PN not the bearing number..

Didn't know bearings had numbers, but I suppose Toyota buy them in and add their own part number (and fat markup) to them.

But that is the toyota PN not the bearing number..

Didn't know bearings had numbers, but I suppose Toyota buy them in and add their own part number (and fat markup) to them.

exactly! thats why 65 is a fortune for a bearing - its a pity that someone doesnt have the bearing number as it takes about 1 minute to get a price which would be interesting to see.

on the bearing race there will be a number etched in or it will be on the bearing seal, even if toyota buy them in there should be a number of some sorts or it.

At least with the above data people stand a better chance of finding one for less. GS and early LS owners can use aftermarket bearings for Supras if they can find them.

• 2 weeks later...
i tried the base number as that should come up also with a result but nothing- but nachi have been known to make some strange sized limited supply bearings.

I am replacing my front wheel bearings in Lexus dealer in Glasgow, 280 pounds for each wheels. I had to do 2 sides. Hope everything will be fine after the cost.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links