Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

:sick: Can anybody out there tell me why I have started getting quite severe static shocks if I touch the window frame while closing the driver's door? If anybody has an answer, how do I stop it? The obvious one is don't touch the frame but it's just habbit so what else?

'95 GS300, Leather, 75k

Might be worth making a note of your footwear when it happens.

I've just bought a new pair of trainers and work in an office fitted with crappy nylon carpet tiles together with a large abundance of electrical equipment. If I walk over 6 feet to the door, I can't touch the metal handle without a crack of static (which can be quite a sting!)

It never happens when wearing leather shoes though.

Might be worth making a note of your footwear when it happens.

I've just bought a new pair of trainers and work in an office fitted with crappy nylon carpet tiles together with a large abundance of electrical equipment. If I walk over 6 feet to the door, I can't touch the metal handle without a crack of static (which can be quite a sting!)

It never happens when wearing leather shoes though.

Hmmm. Possible. Will try and keep a note of what's on the feet when it happens. Ta.

I'm going back a bit now, but I remember a similar thing happening when I used to get out of my dad's Cortina.

What I used to do was get hold of the door frame first whilst opening the door, and put your foot on the floor to 'earth' yourself. I seem to recall that stopped the zapping.

The car is probably very dry. Try spraying the carpets with a very small amount of water mixed with fabric conditioner. This will make the carpets more conductive. The water evaoprates but leaves the fabric conditioner molecules behind.

I used to do this years ago when static was a problem in computer rooms (before anti-static carpet was invented) - showing my age now!! :D

Also - as other people have aid, avoid wearing synthetics. You're getting bolts because YOU are charging up, not the car.