Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

is there any consensus emerging as to good tyres to put on a 220D.

I have done almost 43,000 KM (c 27K miles) and need to replace the tyres.

I have high wear on the outside of the passengerside front. I have had the alignement checked and realigned.

Misalignment was probably caused by hitting a pothole.

The tyre centre is recommending Vredesteins - I'm not familiar with them so I'm wary

The car came with bridgestones but I always felt they were a bit noisy.

I am just wondering if any one has any experience of other tyres.

The garage is also recommending replacing all four together.

I had expected two might be less worn and could be rotated.

Garage is suggesting that for RWD I should replace all four together.

Its funny - I always feel you can't take risks with tyres and rarely query garage advice.

Then afterwards I wonder if they realise that and play on customers fears!

Thanks for any help

From my experience, the Sportmaxx tyres were quieter. Normally that could mean that they are softer, quicker wearing, but "feel" better. WIM may be able to help?

For me the tyre noise on the Potenza's is the biggest problem.

PS - you should replace both fronts or backs, in pairs I would say - why would RWD make any difference? The wider rear tyres on anthing but the base makes it impossible to rotate tyres front to back - but as long as either Fronts or backs are replaced in pairs it should be fine...someone could be trying to "sell" you something you don't need...

i had michelin pilot primacy's and they were pretty good noise wise too on my older car

The Toyo T1-R's on my 250 are really quiet compared to the OEM fitted Bridgestone Potenza's, and that's with the reduced tyre wall to suit the 19" rims.

PS - one oother thing to remember is that garages always recommend whatever brand they have the best margins on...

It's like everything else, advice is rarely free to you...recommendations should be checked off with more than one supplier...they are there to make money and fleece anyone coming through the door. WIM seem to be the most trusted Tyre place on this forum, and by all accounts I'd give them a call for the best, un-biased advice.

Tyre make is a very subjective topic since most have a welcomed but unrelenting view of their favorite brand. Vredestein s is not one i would recommend!

The OE Bridgestone RE040 cz is specifically designed for the IS with an initial soft compound to ease the bedding in procedure. Problem is the RE040 has a symmetrical block tread design with a repetitive consistency in the block sizes to generate annoying harmonics.

A better footprint derives from a directional tread patten. The Goodyear F1 holds many awards in all manor of car clubs and i am inclined to agree with the recommendations.

Interesting to read that the Bridgestone is the OEM choice. My 220 came with Dunlops.

That's not uncommon... If you look at the sidewall the "manufactured" mark will be Japan and after the SP9090 or whatever you will see an "L" for Lexus.

Hi, Had interesting conversation with Toyo tyres on there stand at this years Fest of Speed.

Tyre noise is a issue on UK roads on the 220/250 but they claim as the original OM with Lexus

at the design stage they have produced a tyre that gives I quote "A quiet comfortable ride even at speed"

Might be worth a look.

Hi,

is there any consensus emerging as to good tyres to put on a 220D.

I have done almost 43,000 KM (c 27K miles) and need to replace the tyres.

I have high wear on the outside of the passengerside front. I have had the alignement checked and realigned.

Misalignment was probably caused by hitting a pothole.

The tyre centre is recommending Vredesteins - I'm not familiar with them so I'm wary

The car came with bridgestones but I always felt they were a bit noisy.

I am just wondering if any one has any experience of other tyres.

The garage is also recommending replacing all four together.

I had expected two might be less worn and could be rotated.

Garage is suggesting that for RWD I should replace all four together.

Its funny - I always feel you can't take risks with tyres and rarely query garage advice.

Then afterwards I wonder if they realise that and play on customers fears!

Thanks for any help

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links