Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fiberglass Sub Box

Hi all Im going to make a custom stealth sub box that fits into the side pannel of my boot (IS200 SE) and have been planning this for some time now but Im not to sure the best way to start the mould as i will need to keep the pannel.

Has anyone made one of these if so how?

I have some 126g FB mat to make it with so three or four layers might be enough but not to sure time will tell i guess with that

I will be putting JL 10W7 in to the box. Now thinking of two boxs one on each side of the boot maybe.

Any info would be of great help :unsure:

yes the bulk of the box will be at the bottom on the floor so it will not be a prob I hope.

Whats the dif with gold

you mean the gold membership?

you can get 20% off part's at your local Lexus, you can list items for sale on here, you get a cool card and tea mat. plus access to the gold members area.

Not much difference in honesty, but it's a great way to support the site!! :)

yes the bulk of the box will be at the bottom on the floor so it will not be a prob I hope.

Whats the dif with gold

you mean the gold membership?

you can get 20% off part's at your local Lexus, you can list items for sale on here, you get a cool card and tea mat. plus access to the gold members area.

Not much difference in honesty, but it's a great way to support the site!! :)

Intresting thanks

The way I remember was make an mdf (25mm for a 10W7 !!!! ) face

board for the sub (no sub hole yet) and then u tape a large plastic

bin liner or transparent plastic to the back of the face board.

Temp fix the face board in the right place.

A bit of gueswork goes on here.

The face board should have a small hole drilled in it,

and then u inject some quick dry expandable foam and fill the bag.

the foam is supposed to take on the contours of the area you want

your box to fill.

Leave a while to set, then remove gently...

You should then have a mould for your Fibreglass. :D

You may want to make one of these boxes removable so you

can still get to the jack etc.....

I don't have any more technical details to help, but I think from

this you will kinda get my idea. Bear in mind the 10W7 needs a large

area to breathe, so make sure you leave enough room for the interior

volume behind the face board to be as close as you can to the JL Audio specs.

This is not suppoesed to be a walkthru, just some advice from how I helped

a mate do it about 15 years ago in his Cosworth.

I hope this helps you out... buy the way :offtopic: I have a great official W7 kerying if you want one :winky:

Hi all Im going to make a custom stealth sub box that fits into the side pannel of my boot (IS200 SE) and have been planning this for some time now but Im not to sure the best way to start the mould as i will need to keep the pannel.

Has anyone made one of these if so how?

I have some 126g FB mat to make it with so three or four layers might be enough but not to sure time will tell i guess with that

I will be putting JL 10W7 in to the box. Now thinking of two boxs one on each side of the boot maybe.

Any info would be of great help :unsure:

Hiya

There pretty easy, done it about half a dozen times :)

I use 100g Chopstrand matting, 3-4 layers would be fine, also a trick i use to 'brace' the glass'd section is to use some 10mm rope on the 3 layer then apply lots of resin on the 4 piece of mat.

Here's a guide on Talkaudio - http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=76606

Auto Acoustics make them too, but acoustically they don't give you impressive results. IB is probably the best method, also the hardest in the IS200

I choose 4th order vented, tuned to 28Hz

Good luck

:)

Wow great link thanks Mr.Singh and thanks for the foam idea DJWozza and for the info Corsavandal.

Well with all the help I have receved from this site I have now joined gold Thanks to you all.

As for the sub box Ill keep you all posted with some pics and I hope not to many probs.

I was going to start it today but i dont have enough ressin to get far so will start next week when i get the ressin.

:offtopic: Started to fit my new head unit today but not to sure were to put the Brain?? It came with enough cable to just leave it at home :lol:

any Ideas? or try to find some room in the boot with the two amps, EQ, New brain, sat nav, free vew, disk changer and the list goes on

Thanks

sounds like ur going along the same lines as me with the stuff ur putting in the car.

really like the idea wozza about the expanding foam.

will be making 2 of these stealth boxes for mine at some point. one for either side.

trouble is u need to get the right capacity to the box. when i made the sub boxes for my del sol i used polystyrene to measure the capacity of the old box then transfered it in to the new box then cut the height to size. but it would be a different story to this.

Check out the link from Mr.Singh as it will deal with that using water just dont forget to add the displacement of the woofer to the volume.

Rember that due to the small space I am only putting ten inch woofers in.

sounds like ur going along the same lines as me with the stuff ur putting in the car.

really like the idea wozza about the expanding foam.

will be making 2 of these stealth boxes for mine at some point. one for either side.

trouble is u need to get the right capacity to the box. when i made the sub boxes for my del sol i used polystyrene to measure the capacity of the old box then transfered it in to the new box then cut the height to size. but it would be a different story to this.

I will be using the expanding foam to make a mold as that seems to be easyer and not to much work going on in the boot.

That said if my mould holds up it could be of some use to you if you want it. I go to crawley from time to time so you maybe able to get them from there if you want them?? let me know (if they are in piece)

Also I am thinking of only using MDF for the mounting of the speakers and chicken wire to form the face of the box as this is more flexable to use in the small space.

1 inch thick MDF would be my advice for the front panel so you know the mount is secure.

I have a 12W7 and really would suggest you go the 1 inch MDF route, these subs

really move a lot of air. I'd follow the website advice and a 1" think front board,

(weight of sub around 20kgs from memory,a lot of stress on front panel)

then rest of the enclosure is fabricated...

but it's your care mate so really up to u.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Well i have now put in my new head unit and could not find a plug to do the job, well that I could get ASAP ( Im a little impatient you see). So I removed the lugs from the plugs and used heat shrink to bind them togeather and protect them from shorting until I replace all the speakers and wiring.

It works a treat and sounds great.

Also I have started to fiberglass the boot pannel and it seems to be easer to use sticky plastic to line the pannel and fb stright onto that as I tried the expanding foam and got a dud can I think as I ended up with a pile of muck in boot :tsktsk:.

I have started fb in sections on the pannel will let you all know how it goes tomorrow after the first layer has gone off. :shifty:

DJ Wozza thanks as i haddent though of the weight issue you may have saved me from distruction or my box at lest thanks

Only trying to help matey with the best info I can give you,

I hope/glad if it helps.

I remember installing my W7...

Backbreaking job at the best of times...

Best of luck with the install, don't forget to post some pics on LOC

of the stages of your build if you can.

Or you could just pick up two of the StealthBoxz on Ebay cheap ;)

Stav

:winky: :winky: :winky: :winky: :winky: :winky: :winky:

Thanks for that Stav! Thats where i got mine! Might try make on for the drivers side myself

• 1 month later...

Well due to little knowledge the first one has not worked out to well mainly because I had the wrong tool to get the air out from the different layers so waiting for the right one to arrive and some time to try again. Will post again when I have gotten on with it