Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all,

I've gone and changed my engine oil with GTX Magnatec 5w 30 which my local motor shop ordered in specially.

Now I've double checked the manual which says for these temperatures it should have been 10w 30.

Also I think my son has put too much oil in, it's definitely over the full line on the dipstick and he's only got 1ltr left out of 8ltrs.

I'm taking the car to the Isle of Skye on Friday 21th July a journey of 500 miles.

My questions are, will it be ok to leave that 5w 30 oil in and will an excess of 1.5 litres do any damage?

I do hope someone can advise me.

Cheers,

BigJon.

Excess oil can do damage,your wider viscosity range could lead to a higher consumption.

Tel

As Tel says, to much oil is almost as bad as not enough, I would find a friendly garage to drain off and start again, new oil and filter change £60 -£80, engine damage :tsktsk: £££££££££££

As Colin said above 5W-30 will be fine, its really the 30 bit that's most important in your case, that's how the oil is when hot.

If your son did the oil change ask him to nip under the car and drain a bit out, could be messy but not difficult if the oil is cold.

Many thanks to all!

My lad drained a litre or so out when the engine was cold and now the level is perfect.

I read a few oil sites and they agree with you guys, stating that there is little difference between 5W & 10W, so I'm happy now.

And it's all thanks to you great, helpful souls.

Cheers lads!!!!

BigJon.