Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Towing With A Gs300 Sport Series 1

PhilE

Hi I'm the proud new owner of a lovely GS300 Sport Series 1. The only thing I didn't check before I bought it was towing - doh!

I have located a towbar from Watling but Lexus say I need and oil cooler for the auto box and an extra radiator. I only tow a tiny 14' caravan but I understand nothing about auto boxes so the questions are:

Do I really need an oil cooler for my little van?

What damage am I risking if I don't?

Do I realy need an extra rad?

Would I not get obvious warning of overheating from the Temp guage or am I missing something?

Cheers all

Phil

Hi and Welcome to the LOC :)

The engine temp gauge wont really tell you anything about the gearbox temp,only if the engines getting warm.

I think you wont have any problems and i dont think you will need a oil cooler,i bet if you ask a garage that fits them though they will say you will need one ;)

If the gearbox fluid does get hot then you might notice the gear changes not being smooth and you might smell burning fluid.

If you were towing something everyday and your up to the weight limit your towing and the weather is always Hot then id think about fitting a oil cooler.

Hope thats of some help.

Cheers..

Chips.

• 1 month later...

I asked asked the same question about my 98 GS300 and got this reply......

Dear Mr Savage.

Thank you for your email to Lexus GB Ltd.

Yes, Mr Savage your vehicle should be fine. When the tow bar is fitted,
your vehicle will be capable of towing a maximum load of 1,500 kg. There is
also an additional upgrade kit that will allow you to tow a greater load if
needed which would allow a maximum tow load of 2000 kg.

I hope this is of some help to you and if I can be of any further
assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Tyronne Springer
Lexus Customer Account Manager
0845 278 8888

I also had the Kenlowe oil cooler fitted and have towed a lot over the summer with no problems.

Andrew

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links