Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Depreciation Disgrace

mate, depreciation is part of car ownership... your always going to lose money..

Me, I paid 18 grand for a 12 month old car, which sold for 6500 quid with 60k and FLSH worth more than what I got for it.

Thats life unfortunatley, and with the new model out, not to mention high fuel prices, the IS200 isnt the best buy out there - just be glad you didnt by the 3 series... you'd struggle to give that away!

As for no bites, the price seems right, perhaps the mods are putting people off - IMHO stick the standard exhaust on it and it may sell easier..

I bought my 20k 2005 mint condition car from a main Lexus dealership for £12300 in April and I've had a couple of trade in valuations recently which are coming in around £8000 which they can go and shove somewhere that I don't care to mention. Just as fidgits says depreciation is part of car ownership and there's not much you can do about it. Unfortunatly with all the climat change and the greenpeace and environmental protesters people are becoming more green and a car that does 20mpg pootling around town and puts out best part of 230 carbon dioxides people just aren't interested. My advice, stick a 9v Battery in the engine and call it a hybrid. Hippie-types and green-conscious suburban mums will be coming in droves to buy it. With cars you're going to lose money period. The question is how much and how quickly.

Keith

i got mine for the same money and yr as u Si, think it had just below 50k if i remember it right...i would never sell my lexus for any cars out there at the moment...well until a few yrs down the line then i may get a c class merc, only cos it looks like a lexus lol

i got mine for the same money and yr as u Si, think it had just below 50k if i remember it right...i would never sell my lexus for any cars out there at the moment...well until a few yrs down the line then i may get a c class merc, only cos it looks like a lexus lol

If it me being daft, but why buy a C-class Mercedes because it looks like a Lexus? Why not just buy a Lexus? :huh: Have I missed the point somewhere?

Paid £9995 for a 2004 IS200 SE with 45k on the clock from Lexus.

Having done the rounds I couldnt buy a 3 series with same spec , same year from main dealer unless I forked out 3k on top of this.

Had a few Issues :whistling: but the dealer has come up trumps.

If its any consolation my 2.5 year mint Mazda6 actually had a part ex value of below 6K....different cars I know but indicates the state of the 2nd hand market..

The big issue with Lexus is clearly fuel economy and servicing costs.

Depreciation is part of the terra... and the New IS is getting cheaper and cheaper...

Some of my mates only ever buy high mileage ex-fleet cars, 2-3 years with 70-80k on the clock with their company car allowances. Run for 2 years and get back >60% what they paid...

When you consider that you can pick up an Avensis, 2005/'05 plater T4 2.0 VVti with 80k for < £7k, and O they might need a service and a new Cam belt etc, but for £7.5k you have a nearly new "current" top spec car...you know you can't lose...most of the cars have full history and one driver, mainly motorway miles, and the cars are Mint (apart from the odd stone chip and dirty drivers seat).

I'd never buy a new car again...having seen them!

The other thing to consider is that Lexus aren't mainstream popular - they have a loyal following, so Joe Public won't consider them, and you have to find someone who actually wants your car...at your price...

PS - cpnsider this - it'll make you all feel better. I've just wporked out that my Lexus has been depreciating at a rate of approx £456 per moth since I bought it :o though I accept some of that will have been in a minute of registration (VAT etc)

I had calculated that as it was a new model, and with Lexus's legendary build (!) it would depreciate a lot less, may be at a rate of £300 per month over 3 years max, but it looks 50% worse at the momentand should improve as the depreciate drops with age......

I'm sure it would have been a lot worse if I'd got a Beemer...though My old Audi A4 depreciated at a rate of £289 per month over 38 months, though it was cheaper to buy...(bought for £21k and PEX'd for just shy of £10k)

• 2 weeks later...
I just sold a 51 plate IS300 Navigator on Ebay for £5750.Car had FSH,4 new tyres etc and 73k miles,cost me £14k two years ago.The car only had 3 people bidding.

Wow, that is an exceptionally low price - were you being offered less than that p/ex?

Paid £7500 for my 2000 s , 80k, model just over three years ago now. As far as my budget would stretch!

hate to think what its worth now as its only an S model! although they are quite rare :whistling: :winky:

Jason :P

Depreciation is part of the terra... and the New IS is getting cheaper and cheaper...

Some of my mates only ever buy high mileage ex-fleet cars, 2-3 years with 70-80k on the clock with their company car allowances. Run for 2 years and get back >60% what they paid...

When you consider that you can pick up an Avensis, 2005/'05 plater T4 2.0 VVti with 80k for < £7k, and O they might need a service and a new Cam belt etc, but for £7.5k you have a nearly new "current" top spec car...you know you can't lose...most of the cars have full history and one driver, mainly motorway miles, and the cars are Mint (apart from the odd stone chip and dirty drivers seat).

I'd never buy a new car again...having seen them!

The other thing to consider is that Lexus aren't mainstream popular - they have a loyal following, so Joe Public won't consider them, and you have to find someone who actually wants your car...at your price...

PS - cpnsider this - it'll make you all feel better. I've just wporked out that my Lexus has been depreciating at a rate of approx £456 per moth since I bought it :o though I accept some of that will have been in a minute of registration (VAT etc)

I had calculated that as it was a new model, and with Lexus's legendary build (!) it would depreciate a lot less, may be at a rate of £300 per month over 3 years max, but it looks 50% worse at the momentand should improve as the depreciate drops with age......

I'm sure it would have been a lot worse if I'd got a Beemer...though My old Audi A4 depreciated at a rate of £289 per month over 38 months, though it was cheaper to buy...(bought for £21k and PEX'd for just shy of £10k)

You're right, the new IS is getting cheaper. I'm keeping my eyes peeled. Not this year, possibly next though. My local dealership has a gorgeous LS430 on a 54 plate, fully specced for £24000. That's a bargain in anyone's book I think and there's a stack of 56 and 07 plate RX's from £23995-around £30000.

Just to add the icing on the cake, according to mainstream models part ex values for mine, over a 5-month period from when I had the car to when I got quotes, it would have depreciated by £1075 per month. It's hard to think of a jet fighter that would cost that much!

In relation to the fact that Lexus has a loyal elite following, isn't that a good thing? It means that we get damn good cars and in a traffic jam, you're probably the only one with a Lexus. Doesn't that make you feel good? It does me.

I paid £6,500 for mine, 2000x with 56k on the clock 6 months ago, paid £500 on a service (inc cambelt etc) and new stereo, and expect to sell it in 12 months for about £5,500 hopefully cos it'll still have low mileage on it, and i've set myself a budget of £10k for a newer one when I sell mine, assuming I don't have any bad luck causing my insurance to go up again

the is200 is falling into the hands of chavs with the low prices LOL

altho they soon give it up with the fuel prices and cost of repair / them to things seam to be the only thing stopping loads of ppl buyin them at the cheap prices

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links