Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Express Is200 Review

javaboss

Guys,

I've just purchased the latest issue of Auto Express for the new Honda Accord Group Test with an IS200.

Here was the ranking:

1) Honda Accord.

2) Audi A4.

3) Mazda 6.

4) Vauxhall Vectra

5) Lexus IS200.

The IS came out last!!!!!!! :angry:

I just can't believe it would come out behind a piece of **** Vectra!!! :angry:

What are those idots at Auto Express like?

The "other" cars in that list are newer than the IS200.

And newer menas more options and often more hp and so on.

When the IS is replaced (soon) there will be a new leader.

By the way the new Mazda 6 is certainly a looker. It is selling like ice cream in

the sun. Even the tail lights are a la IS200. The interior also fine (perhaps even more modern looking than the IS) and HID "is" standard.

It's also super quality and 30 % cheaper than the IS. I think the biggest engine has got 180 hp and also a 6-speed box. Beats the IS performance-wise.

I know not the same status as Lexus but Mazda has certainly come a long way with this one.

Any thoughts about this car ?? :question::question:

hi

Tested Mazda and wind and road noise very high...IS 200 wins again.

Here was the ranking:

1) Honda Accord. New shape quick glance is200??? copy but not a good one.

2) Audi A4. Boring and no goodies as standard try audi.co.uk and compare models with is 200 ...Guess which wins...

3) Mazda 6. as above

4) Vauxhall Vectra cheap avensis.... and why change the shape in a new model completely???? what it cost last time to replace Cavalier.. hiding something not improving..

5) Lexus IS200.

Well courtesy of the audi.co.uk website, I configured an Audi A4 3.0 to the same spec as the IS300. The Audi came out at well over £30,000 after adding all the xtras that the Lex' has as standard !! As for the Mazda 6, I read a review a couple of months ago that said it was a 'capable' but utterly boring car to drive.

To be fair - the plus points and minus points listed for the IS200 were all correct...... it is an entertaining handler - but the gearchange isn't wonderful and rear space poor.

I agree with the review of the car - but would never drive the Vectra!!!! I cannot say how good/bad the Vectra is though as I haven't driven the new one, and won't.

I am at a press launch over the next two days though and will get to drive (among other cars) the Accord - so I can give feedback on my views on that once driven. I must say - looks wise, it looks a bit big, but certainly has presence - I like it visually, just not sure about the size.

I drove the previous shape A4 and was left cold. Not driven the Mazda 6 - so cannot comment.

Do remember though - good reviews/bad reviews - take the information, but remember the rest is just opinions!

Just read the comments in AutoExpress and as I'm considering an IS as my new car I was wondering if anyone here has found the back cramped (I know I'm going to get loads of "rude" comments coming back...)....

As this is one reason why I'm looking at buying a new car due to the lack of space in my current car - ok, its a 2 seater sports car, but you know what I mean... :duh:

As this is one reason why I'm looking at buying a new car due to the lack of space in my current car - ok, its a 2 seater sports car, but you know what I mean... :duh:

Well I got my IS as a 'sensible-family car' (a-hem). It's fine in the back, enough room for us anyway! I think if you want more space, you're better off with a GS or LS ;)

Hi Tazman- my wife regularly drives myself and three of my neighbours to the pub (well thats what she's paid for) and i never get complaints about it being cramped in the back:they are all over 6ft and two are quite portley-too much beer. ;)

Yesterday i've driverd for 150 miles a new mazda 6 2.0 CD 121Hp....

I think is a godd car. It's big inside (more than a lexus IS200) and outside...

I prefear the is 200.... the 2.0 Cd of Mazda 6 push very well from 2000 to 3500 RPM then it's too smoth :huh:

The 136 Hp CD push very well from 2000 to 4000 RPM B)

The gear is noisy and there is o lot of little particular that look very cheap :unsure:

Little particoular i Say.... the general look is ok....

This group test appears strange as I can understand doing a comparison test between the Honda, Audi and Lexus, but the other two are family cars - are they seriously suggesting that the Vectra is in the same class??

I stopped buying and reading Autoexpress a long time ago.

Well - I have now driven various new cars including the Accord 2.0 Sport, the 2.4 Type-S and the 2.4 SE Executive ........ do you people want to hear my findings or will you just get all defensive if I say it is better than the IS200 ?????

Read no further if you don't want the results of my test drives.......

Check the reviews and piccies here......

http://www.hondarevolutions.com/html/accor...ord_reviews.htm

In brief - when I test drove the Audi, Lexus, Accord, Alfa etc. etc. 1 year ago - the IS200 was IMO the best car.

The new Accord has REALLY moved the game forward though. It is massively better than the old model, and sorry to say it, but it knocks spots off the IS.

The 2.4 Type S has all the sporty goodies and looks great, but not as well equipped as the IS200 SE. Costs £19,095. 190PS and 220 Nm of torque. Combined 31.4mpg.

The 2.4 Executive has more goodies including cruise & DVD Sat Nav, costs £21,095.

TBH - the 2.0 Sport which only costs £17,495 has 155PS and 190Nm of torque and feels much more sprightly than my IS200SE, and returns fuel economy of (Combined) 38mpg !!!

I am not being biased with my review - when I last drove the Accord and IS200 back to back - I bought the IS200 ....... so if I was going to be biased, surly it would be towards the car I own?

If I was buying now - I would def. choose the Accord, I would just be torn between better economy of the 2.0 Executive (cost £19k) or the 2.4 Type S specced to include the Exec goodies..... or the 2.4 Exec with the Type S bodykit!

It is a bigger car than the IS though - so if not happy driving a bigger car - then the IS is better.

TBH Claire - the spec is very good - but it is the drive that sells it. Also very good quality fit and fittings.

It usually is the case though that when a new car emerges - the game moves on. I would expect when the new IS comes out - Lexus will respond accordingly (sos for the pun) to the challenge!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links