Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Project : Is200 By Niraj

Powercaps & 0AWG Wiring

I tried to pay close attention to this section. Supplying power to any device is probably the most important thing to make the electrical device last it’s suggested lifespan.

I opted for 0awg to power my monoblocks, that run through these two 1F power caps. Power caps are getting cheaper these days, but I would not recommend them if you only have 1 Battery! As they tend to cause more troubles than provide benefit to an audio system.

Each power cap is fused within 12” of the Battery, and individually designed to power each monoblock.

This cable is not cheap, but can be found on eBay at bargain prices. (approx £5/mtr.)

powercaps_01.jpg

powercaps_02.jpg

powercaps_03.jpg

powercaps_04.jpg

powercaps_05.jpg

powercaps_06.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fireproofed Floor : Rockwool

With all that amount of electrical wiring, you’ll want to fireproof the floor incase of worst case scenarios. For this I used Rockwool. It’s about 2inches thick but when squashed is about 6mm. This provides excellent sound deadening for the front cabin, and that added security for your wiring.

rockwool_01.jpg

rockwool_02.jpg

rockwool_03.jpg

Testbench

All of the above equipment was stuck on a testbench in my bedroom for approximately 3 months! The speakers and subwoofers were bedded in according to their specified timescales.

This is what it looked like in pre-production, lol.

testbench_01.jpg

testbench_02.jpg

testbench_03.jpg

testbench_04.jpg

testbench_05.jpg

testbench_06.jpg

testbench_07.jpg

testbench_08.jpg

testbench_09.jpg

testbench_10.jpg

testbench_11.jpg

testbench_12.jpg

testbench_13.jpg

testbench_14.jpg

It hasn't been smooth sailing, through this project, and i'm sure i've yet to encounter many puzzles along the way.

I've been posting up the minor setbacks i've had along the way, but this is where I want to keep my entire project writeup.

I have definitely missed a lot of stuff out of here, so if you guys have ANY questions, please just ask, and I will go into more detail, with pictures if necessary :)

The car you saw at JAE is still WORK IN PROGRESS… and I’ll keep this topic updated as I get a chance to do more work.

Hope you all enjoyed reading it so far... :D

Just had a quick view,

Massive job! very impressive! I can see loads of time, love, skill and effort gone into this. Fantastic job mate!

I like to call it "a labour of love" :whistling:

Thank you for the comments, I know the writeup is rather long, but i hope you get a chance to have a read through. :)

Some very nice work done there - very impressive!

It will look very smart when finished

Keep up the good work.

All the best Paul

Thanks Paul, the guys at JAE got a glimpse of what it could eventually look like :)

skillz what do you do as your day job .

I used to be a fulltime Car Mechanic, but for the past 3 years i've been an IT Developer for a secruity firm... lol... kind of makes sense when you think about it... join those three industries : Cars / Computers / Security... and this is the product of it :hehe:

fantastic job

your attention to detail is amazing :D

Thanks Bazza, I hope you had a chance to experience it in the flesh :)

bloody good work niraj..

Thanks Paul... you may notice some inspiration gathered from your project :D

shucks . :blush: may ask you to do some handy work on mine soon..

Would be happy to help :)

Well Niraj, you've certainly put a lot of effort in to this project. As said, the attention to detail and the minute considerations you have made and applied are excellent.

Very well planned out, despite the problems you have encountered.

I hope you keep this topic well topped up as so far it has proved most interesting and I'm sure it will throughout the remainder of the installation.

Well done,

Jamie

....so youve finally gone public lol

...niraj has been keeping me up to date with this project..and throughout iv been thouroughly impressed with the attention to detail and commitment - well done mate!

Great install however a couple of questions

Why power caps? you have enough Battery power there to run a small country I would personally take them out as they wont help voltage stability.

I would personally also re think the kit used the rainbow comps are awesome but coupling them with the 6*9s kenwood and and those subs is going to waste what great potential they have.

Great installation skills though I would never have the guts to do that to my car

Well Niraj, you've certainly put a lot of effort in to this project. As said, the attention to detail and the minute considerations you have made and applied are excellent.

Very well planned out, despite the problems you have encountered.

I hope you keep this topic well topped up as so far it has proved most interesting and I'm sure it will throughout the remainder of the installation.

Well done,

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, what I plan to do is create a seperate topic for the more deeper things, and explain them through as a walkthrough of my experiences and decisions :)

....so youve finally gone public lol

...niraj has been keeping me up to date with this project..and throughout iv been thouroughly impressed with the attention to detail and commitment - well done mate!

Yes mate :D after the interest people gave at JAE I thought it's only fair for them to see what i've been up to, and why i've not been such a busy poster on the forums :lol:

The picture diary is still available to anyone who wants to have a look. http://img.akainternet.com/niraj/lexus

Looking good Niraj,

well thought out and methodical approach, planned and executed.

How long has your car been off road for for your mods ?

We gotta hook up soon as I missed you @ JAE.

Grasshopper Meet maybe ?

Ace Cafe is cancelled in August for Jap Modified night on the 7th (DOH !)

Regards

Wozza

Hey Wozza, glad you're liking the project :D I kinda guessed you'd appreciate the work on this one :)

Unfortunately i'm busy with a wedding set that and the following weekend, so i'm not going to see freedom till at least the end of August.

However i might still be able to pop down to Ace Cafe the following Tuesday night, even though Japnight is cancelled.

I'll play things by ear, and post up in the club meets section if all goes to plan.

Thouroughly impressed with the attention to detail, well done :D

Thanks Gord, appreciate the comments :D

Great install however a couple of questions

Why power caps? you have enough battery power there to run a small country I would personally take them out as they wont help voltage stability.

I would personally also re think the kit used the rainbow comps are awesome but coupling them with the 6*9s kenwood and and those subs is going to waste what great potential they have.

Great installation skills though I would never have the guts to do that to my car

:) Good questions Stuie

Powercaps are possibly the most unstable source for power. More so in installations where the entire electrical system is run from 1 Battery.

I had considerable doubts whether or not to use them in my install and whether the alternator would spend 50% of it's time charging them instead of supplying a better current to the batteries. After some research I was able to come up with a neat solution that makes use of the Powercaps as a Voltage stabilizer rather than a voltage drainer. The poweramps are connected through the caps with 0awg, and when the caps are depleted during those massive bassline drops, the cap terminals supply a direct feed from the Battery. When the bassline is not as demanding, the rear Battery tops up the cap, ready for another drop. Each cap is connected to 1 monoblock and share a direct feed to the -0v terminal of the Battery. (generally lots of voltage instability is created through grounding at the chassis)

The Rainbow comps are awesome! Best i've heard for a long while. As any audiophile would tell you, rear fill is just not needed in a good SQ setup. However, as a matter of personal taste, and the fact that I was planning to use the ICPC to view DVD's, i installed some Pioneer 6x9's for a more realistic 4.1 effect. They can keep up with the Rainbows, but not throughout the entire frequency range. Which is where i've used the active EQ to cut certain frequencies and allows them to step up to a higher volume. The Kenwood Amp sits currently on gains of 2.0v and the RCA feed from the soundcard is actually only outputting 1.8v, so the output is actually "dumbed down" slightly. There is still plenty left in the amp, though i'm not sure the Rainbows will match it that far.

Specifically though, the reason i chose the Kicks in the Rainbow range, were because of the fantastic subs. the TS-W3004SPL i've frequency tested down to 30Hz in a sealed enclosure, and boy did that shake the house! In the car however it was slightly different. The amplitude decreased (possibly due to air pressure). However the subs sit nicely at 36Hz, filling the missed range of the components between 36-80Hz.

There are many better subs on the market, i don't doubt that, but when looking at value for money on sealed enclosures, I couldn't far beat the Pioneers woofers.

I have a frequency/amplitude graph of what the subwoofer is capable of if you're interested?

:)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links