Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Replacement Rear Speakers Without Spacers?

Hi

I've fitted a new Pioneer head unit into my IS200. I rewired the front speakers and they sound good enough to keep a while.

I want to replace the rear speakers though. I can handle the wiring, but my concerns are more mechanical:

2 questions:

1. Can any 6x9's be fitted without using mdf or other spacers? I want to make the install as quick as possible. Anything 1/2 decent from Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, etc considered.

2. I have a set of Kenwood 7x10's which sounded great in my last car. The specified mounting depth is 82mm. What would it take if I really wanted to install them rather than the above 6x9's?

Martin.

I think you'll be hard pushed to find any 6x9's that will fit into the whole already in the rear parcel shelf.

Whilst still maintaining a good mounting depth clearance.

You can refer to this post, on how i made my 6x9 baffles.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...st&p=456253

To install 7x10's you may have to cut the plastic trim under the parcel tray. But these will also need raising from the shelf as you will find it will touch the tension bars for the boot lid.

:)

I think you'll be hard pushed to find any 6x9's that will fit into the whole already in the rear parcel shelf.

Whilst still maintaining a good mounting depth clearance.

You can refer to this post, on how i made my 6x9 baffles.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...st&p=456253

To install 7x10's you may have to cut the plastic trim under the parcel tray. But these will also need raising from the shelf as you will find it will touch the tension bars for the boot lid.

:)

Wow, what a project! Your car must weigh a tonne after all that MDF :) It's awesome, I would love to do it, but don't have the time to do it myself, or the money to pay someone else :)

Could you take a guess at what mounting depth I could get away with if I use 6x9's? The smallest I found so far are Alpine SXE 6925S at 68mm. Perhaps I could try measure it from inside the boot somehow.

Martin.

You can make MDF spacers yourself, by using the existing speakers as a pattern,

or you can buy ready made 12mm or 18mm MDF 6x9 spacers off the Bay,

but if you want to use the 7x10's then it will obviously be more difficult.

Niraj has some great pictures on his MDF baffles.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

You can make MDF spacers yourself, by using the existing speakers as a pattern,

or you can buy ready made 12mm or 18mm MDF 6x9 spacers off the Bay,

but if you want to use the 7x10's then it will obviously be more difficult.

Niraj has some great pictures on his MDF baffles.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for the eBay tip. I see them, but how do I determine which ones to get? 9mm, 12mm, 18mm? What happens if I lift the speakers up TOO high? They Lexus covers won't go on?

Martin.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links