Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox Problem Gs300

sideways500

Hi there every one , i have a gs300 on a p reg 96 , it drives fine with smooth gear changes as it should but the over drive light is flashing constantley when it is on, and it doesent go in to overdrive until i give it some 6000 rpm , its as if it being forced in, ive had the oil check and the local garage said its fine, they pluged it in to there snap on devise and its comming up as a speed sensor ??? the speedo and every thing else works fine, can any one advise me

regards, lee

• 1 year later...
Hi there every one , i have a gs300 on a p reg 96 , it drives fine with smooth gear changes as it should but the over drive light is flashing constantley when it is on, and it doesent go in to overdrive until i give it some 6000 rpm , its as if it being forced in, ive had the oil check and the local garage said its fine, they pluged it in to there snap on devise and its comming up as a speed sensor ??? the speedo and every thing else works fine, can any one advise me

regards, lee

Hi there:

I am trying to find the answer to the same problem. I don't see any replies to your post or anyone else that has posted this issue. Were you able to find the solution? I would realy appreciate the help.

Regards,

Juan (prhandyman)

The light should remain constantly illuminated if the overdrive function is disengaged or not illuminate at all if the overdrive function is available, controlled by the button towards the top of the autoshift lever.

If it appears not to engage until around 6000 rpm it suggests that maybe you are driving with the power/ect button switched to the power/sport mode which holds gearchanges back until the revs have reached a higher rate.

If you check the Supra club the same problem(flashing light) seems fairly common around the '95 vintage. They seem to change the speedo/odometer convertor chip. Don't know if it applies to the GS tho.

regards, lee

Hi,The speed sensor is indicating a problem with the gear change,maybe worn clutches,or low oil pressure.The first thing to do is check oil levels,then check the oil,eg;the colour and smell,and make sure it's not slipping into gears,and make sure the gear box is hot.then post your findings .i'll check and help u out.cheers TERRY

regards, lee

Hi,The speed sensor is indicating a problem with the gear change,maybe worn clutches,or low oil pressure.The first thing to do is check oil levels,then check the oil,eg;the colour and smell,and make sure it's not slipping into gears,and make sure the gear box is hot.then post your findings .i'll check and help u out.cheers TERRY

Well let me first clarify that in my particular case the light did flash a few times but is not on all the time like Lee's was. The car was originally not engaging in reverse as quick as it should. It would occosionally, not always, take a couple of seconds to engage. So we changed the transmission fluid and the filter making sure we got the correct fluid which is T2, now replaced by T4. We added a little Trans X additive which is supposed to help with slippage and is supposed to be compatible with all fluids. After that fluid change the OD light did come on (flashed) a couple of times and hasn't done it any more. The reverse problem is gone and the trany shifts prefectly without any noticeable slippage (but not into OD). The transmission light (yellow oil can) is now turning on (after the OD problem started) and satys on for a few seconds then turns off. Doesn't do it all the time though. The fluid level is fine and there are no other problems such as the speedometer or cruise control. Those work fine. Using the "power" button doesn't make any difference. Nor does turning on and off the OD either. The OD off light turns on and off as we do this the way it should.

Thanks, Juan (prhandyman)

regards, lee

Well let me first clarify that in my particular case the light did flash a few times but is not on all the time like Lee's was. The car was originally not engaging in reverse as quick as it should. It would occosionally, not always, take a couple of seconds to engage. So we changed the transmission fluid and the filter making sure we got the correct fluid which is T2, now replaced by T4. We added a little Trans X additive which is supposed to help with slippage and is supposed to be compatible with all fluids. After that fluid change the OD light did come on (flashed) a couple of times and hasn't done it any more. The reverse problem is gone and the trany shifts prefectly without any noticeable slippage (but not into OD). The transmission light (yellow oil can) is now turning on (after the OD problem started) and satys on for a few seconds then turns off. Doesn't do it all the time though. The fluid level is fine and there are no other problems such as the speedometer or cruise control. Those work fine. Using the "power" button doesn't make any difference. Nor does turning on and off the OD either. The OD off light turns on and off as we do this the way it should.

sorry,but is this the same car :excl::yawn:

regards, lee

Sorry about that,my computer keeps cutting out,,,back to the problem.First make sure the transmission is not slipping into gears.If it is OK then,yours just needs the bands adjustered.In the the box u should have 3 bands,1for reverse and 2 for drive,They are like a tappet setting.Remove the sump and u should see a round cup like disc,and the other 2 should be on the side of the g/box.remove the covers and u will see the adjusters.MAKE SURE THE OIL IS COLD/These adjuster have a very lite torque setting and a lock nut,so u would need the correct torque wench.If u are going to under take this job yourself,let me know when,so that i can get all the info for u .Cheers TERRY

regards, lee

Sorry about that,my computer keeps cutting out,,,back to the problem.First make sure the transmission is not slipping into gears.If it is OK then,yours just needs the bands adjustered.In the the box u should have 3 bands,1for reverse and 2 for drive,They are like a tappet setting.Remove the sump and u should see a round cup like disc,and the other 2 should be on the side of the g/box.remove the covers and u will see the adjusters.MAKE SURE THE OIL IS COLD/These adjuster have a very lite torque setting and a lock nut,so u would need the correct torque wench.If u are going to under take this job yourself,let me know when,so that i can get all the info for u .Cheers TERRY

Terry thanks for the offer and advise, but it seems to me that the bands are OK because the trany is not slipping at all and it shifts fine into all gears except that it does not go to overdrive. We did not take it up to 6000 RPMs like Lee did. By the way this is my son's car. Doing this would probably take the car to over 100 MH. He certainly does't need a speeding ticket. Regards, Juan

The gearbox only switches into overdrive above a certain temperature (by sensor), and there are two speeds sensors, gearbox and one for speedo. That's why there is some confusion with japanese import speed conversions causing problems in the UK.

You really need that gearbox error code. It's worth the time/money to get it.

regards, lee

Terry thanks for the offer and advise, but it seems to me that the bands are OK because the trany is not slipping at all and it shifts fine into all gears except that it does not go to overdrive. We did not take it up to 6000 RPMs like Lee did. By the way this is my son's car. Doing this would probably take the car to over 100 MH. He certainly does't need a speeding ticket. Regards, Juan

Hi,bands don't make the trany slip.The clutch make it slip.The band make sure that each clutch drum gets the right oil pressure,for it to change to the next gear

,but one should always make sure the clutches are OK before adjusting the bands.With out the right pressure u will always have problems

• 1 year later...

regards, lee

Terry: I'm going to take you up on that offer. And again I really appreciate your help. Now the transmission won't go in gear until the motor is revved up both in reverse and forward positions. When cold it usually goes into reverse but not in Drive until it's revved up. When hot it sometimes won't go into either. Miraculously the OD is working fine now!! I'd like to try adjusting the bands as you said. Could you please provide me with the detailed instructions and maybe pictures if you have them? I guess I'll need an inch pound torque wrench right? Thanks again. Juan

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links