Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I use Autoglym Products all the time, I have been to their factory and seen the effort they put into Quality control and testing on various finishes, I have never had any problems with any of their products and certainly not the resin finish.

One word of warning dont use a wheel cleaner since many are acidic and can erode away the lacquer and then the erosion starts, I know its a pain but the best way to keep those wheels clean is regular washing with soapy water.

Col

That's interesting info. on wheel cleaners niloc. Haven't heard that before, not doubting you but have you more info. we can refer to. Anyone else heard that?

Had wife's mini Superguarded, came with pack of cleaning goodies including alloy wheel cleaner spray. Works a treat. which if what you say is correct, is not surprising.

Thanks.

One word of warning dont use a wheel cleaner since many are acidic and can erode away the lacquer and then the erosion starts, I know its a pain but the best way to keep those wheels clean is regular washing with soapy water.

:unsure: I use Wonder Wheels and have absolutely no problems at all.

How long does the Super resin polish last?

Is it okay to use bodywork shampoo on alloy wheels?

I have ALWAYS used car plan triplewax shampoo to clean my Lexus with and have had no problems cleaning the alloys after i have cleaned the car. I use a seperate sponge of course.

With regards to auto glym products, i use a couple myself. I will say that the resin polish is a course polish and takes out minor scratches and is NOT very kind to your bodywork. I would NEVER use it on my Lexus, regardless. Every other month i use ultra deep shine. This is a great product and it only takes me 20 minutes to apply & remove it from the whole vehicle.

Just don't use anything abrasive anywhere on the car unless it's all stoked up with impurities or hasn't been polished for a while. Even then, you're better of using chemical cleaners such as Klasse or Carlack68 etc. Most of the stuff (Maguires, Autoglym, etc etc) is so similar and whilst people swear by one or the other, I think they are much of a muchness....

Sponge applicators for Wax are fine. Dunno about "Mothers" but any Carnuba (or Carnauba) is great. I use P21s and swear by it. It is softer wax, and will come off quicker, so you may need to apply more coats and let it harden.

Use microfibre cloths:

Wrapped around a sponge for washing...Stops grit in the spong getting on the paint...rinse the sponge and mf cloth in a separate bucket between Shampoo douses...

For removing wax and polish

For cleaning and polishing all glass (especially with "Mr Muscle" window and glass cleaner (non smear))

PS - I also use the green Mr Muscle window cleaer to clean the dash and consoles. Leaves a clean matt finish...

Just don't use anything abrasive anywhere on the car unless it's all stoked up with impurities or hasn't been polished for a while. Even then, you're better of using chemical cleaners such as Klasse or Carlack68 etc. Most of the stuff (Maguires, Autoglym, etc etc) is so similar and whilst people swear by one or the other, I think they are much of a muchness....

Sponge applicators for Wax are fine. Dunno about "Mothers" but any Carnuba (or Carnauba) is great. I use P21s and swear by it. It is softer wax, and will come off quicker, so you may need to apply more coats and let it harden.

Use Microfibre cloths:

Wrapped around a sponge for washing...Stops grit in the spong getting on the paint...rinse the sponge and mf cloth in a separate bucket between Shampoo douses...

For removing wax and polish

For cleaning and polishing all glass (especially with "Mr Muscle" window and glass cleaner (non smear))

PS - I also use the green Mr Muscle window cleaer to clean the dash and consoles. Leaves a clean matt finish...

I am a real pain when it comes to looking after my Lexus. Can i suggest you try meguires cleaning products, if you log onto thier web site they will send you a brochure with all the products you could wish for they even have an anti grit wash bucket. Halfords are starting to sell more and more of meguires stuff.

I have been using there gear for years and i totaly recommend them. Have a look for yourself, it costs nothing to look. Hope this helps.

Basha

Tesco sell a wheel brush, had one for a month and works a treat. Only £2.26.

I use a long pure bristle 2"-3" paint brush to get around difficult areas...along the window seals, badges, front grill(s), headlight seams etc. and a similar brush for the wheels. I have a Meguirs wheel brush but found the bristle paint brushes to be much more effective. Also have a microfibre wash mitt, as well as microfibre drying, polishing and buffing towels from Autopia. Also use a silicone blade for wiping off the excess rinse water before the drying towels. Some say there's a risk of the blade picking up grit and scratching the finish but I've never had a problem as I don't wipe over seams, just the panels. Blading the panels makes drying a hell of a lot easier and quicker.

Also have two or three clay bars and spray lubricant for the occasional strip back before a light polish with the Porter Cable Orbital polisher using a non abrasive cleaner polish or Sonus Swirl Buster polish if I have any...swirls that is, not the polish. Then I use Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection before a few coats of Carnauba P21 wax...seems to work B) .

Pic after just washing..last polished a month or two before.

gallery12019456nk8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another Carnauba wax option and recommended website for cleaning materials!

Have just cleaned and waxed my car, first using Carlack 68 sealant as recommended by many users on this forum (heed the tip: use sparingly or expect very sore shoulders afterwards!).

Rather than use the P21's wax which appears a very popular choice on this forum, I tried Collinite No.476S , it's another type of Carnauba wax. Very easy to apply and end result is a very deep & satisfying shine!

It is suggested that this is a little harder than P21's and shouldn't require as much 'topping up' as P21's but time will no doubt tell.....

If it helps anyone I brought it and several other cleaning products at www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

easy to use website plenty of very good cleaning tips, wide range of cleaning materials and really fast delivery times.

• 1 month later...

My rule is simple - use something non abrasive and on recommendation...No one should use anything even mildly abrasive on their Lexus. Especially a newsih one.

The paint is soft and if your car is tarnished, you could just clay bar it, apply a final polish of your choice, sealant glaze of your choice and dollops of squirrel loving natural wax...

From my experience, many of these wax's do have lots of ingredients in them, and I don't know what they do!

PS - most of the standard wax's and cleaners all do the same thing, and I reckon it takes some pretty serious waxophiles to tell the difference...I certainly can't. So I use what I know and trust -

KLASSE KLASSE KLASSE all the way...followed by Carnauba!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links