Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New To Loc Help Needed

Hi, everyone

Im new to lexus owners club I havent got a lexus yet but soon will have one with your help.

I’ve been looking for an is200 for some time now

Found out that they come in three models

S

Se

Sport

Didn’t want the s coz was missing a lot of the little features

Se Its ok with all the bits a bobs

Sport insurance group is one higher an me been 23 my insurance goes to £1700 too much cant afford that can buy a car with that money

i know they are heavy on petrol but i think i can manage

the colours id buy are

silver

black

blue

i can spend about 5k but im pushing it excluding the insurance

i can get a 99 or 00 plate car with that kinda money

here are a few

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-LEXUS-IS200-SE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

dont like the after market system ruins the whole interior

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-SE_W0QQi...1QQcmdZViewItem

ive asked the guy and says no service history

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/213701.htm

a good one(perfect one) fully loaded but the milleage is a lil high let me know wat you guys think of this one

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...200729106041436

another good one

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...200730292080076

another good one but the one of the head washers is missing

let me know wat you guys think off

and also if i go to view a few of them wat should i look out for

thanks

First one looks alright - the milage is quite high though in my thoughts, the aftermarket head unit will be the same for a lot of the cars you look at, Lexus had a lot of problems with error3 errors on the cd players meaning they did not play the cds and sometimes ate the cd's this is one thing too look at.

Second one - although a very nice car, service history is a big gamble to take with a car even when spending near 5k on a car. but if you feel after looking at the car and getting it checked over there are no problems then again looks like a good car

Third one - looks like a very tidy car, coming from a dealer aswell so check on warranty with it, mileage shouldnt really bother you that much i dont think unless you are going to be doing 20k a year in it.

Fourth one - Looks the best deal low milage again with a dealer so they may offer a warranty or throw in something extra, just make sure you have a really good run around in the car to make sure it is really what you want.

Fifth one - also looks very good, not sure myself what the head washers are (will have to ask others) the only thing with this one is it is a private deal, so no warranty or extras, but you may be able to get the price down.

Hopefully that helps but i am sure there will be others in the club willing to help you find the right one.

another bit of help i am 22 and i got my SE when i was 21, SE seems the best one to go for insurance

Welcome to the club and the best of luck finding a good car.My advice is shop around and dont buy one until you are really sure about it, there are loads of good ones out there.

As for the milage if its had regular services the milage shouldnt be too much of a problemto be honest

That insurance is stupid i've just turned 22 and my insurance is £700 with more than i think they are definately bending you over!!!

Good luck with your search though mate but dont be put off by the mileage too much but make sure there is service history or at least receipts for work done.

o and welcome to the LOC

Hi and welcome to the club. Before I start, I’d just like to say that I’m no expert on this subject, but from what I can gather the engine on the IS200 is fairly bullet proof, as long as it’s serviced by competent mechanic.

FYI, there is a sticky in the IS200/IS300/Sportcross section with all of the specs on the different cars in the IS range. This will tell you everything you need to know.

I noticed a couple of the cars you have singled out are automatics, which will be more thirsty than a manual, especially in built up areas as you are stopping and starting in built up traffic etc.

Also I believe a couple have the IS Sport pedals, which may indicate that they are indeed Sport versions or they may have been put on by the current owner as an aftermarket thing. If the insurance is so high on a sport, it may be worth while checking with the sellers that they have their information correct before you seriously consider the car.

As for the insurance, try “A Plan” in Andover on 01264-365536, they seem to be cheaper than anybody else I have spoken to and may be able to do you a deal.

As for my choice out of the ones you picked, I do like the PISTONHEADS one and I also like the one with the aftermarket stereo system. If you look at any car with the CD loading slot at the bottom, it will potentially have error 3 codes, so you may end up changing the system anyway!

Anyway, good luck and make sure you post your pictures when you finally get your new wheels.

regarding insurance, why dont you put one of your parents onto your insurance policy as the main driver and you as a second driver?

...im only 21 and with my mum as main driver andme as second driver im only paying around £650 for insurance for the is300...where as it would have been over £2k if it was just me(crazy)

regarding insurance, why dont you put one of your parents onto your insurance policy as the main driver and you as a second driver?

...im only 21 and with my mum as main driver andme as second driver im only paying around £650 for insurance for the is300...where as it would have been over £2k if it was just me(crazy)

Hmm you could do that...but in all honesty...that's cheating isn't it...and maybe he wants to build his NCD! :P

Looks like more than's the 1 at the moment :D

Try A Plan though...they gave me a decent quote...!

Hmm you could do that...but in all honesty...that's cheating isn't it...and maybe he wants to build his NCD! :P

Looks like more than's the 1 at the moment :D

Try A Plan though...they gave me a decent quote...!

Its called 'Fronting', like you said its not really worth it, if you want to build your NCD. Direct Line offer NCB to second/all named drivers now.

hi again

thanks for the info

i noticed you guys sayin the insurance is quite expensive but i was in an accident few years ago

when i add that to my insurance quote the price just doubles

from the cars ive shown you the best one to me seems to be

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/213701.htm

like you guys say if serviced regularly it shouldnt go wrong

its the se model with all the sports stuff on it except for the two tone steering wheel

and to be honest its cream interior looks much better than the black and with the armrest sat nav and everfing

all the kit i'd say of the guy comes down a few hundred quid i might just take it

i'm going to give him a call and see if i can view the car

anything i need to ask him about the car

thanks

hi there fella and welcome to the LOC :D the pistonhead motor sounds a nice car if this is the one your after make sure its got a service history behind it, and also get it hpi checked. shop around for your insurance there is cheaper one's out there, good luck :winky:

I like that one more that the others. He has also added some nice touches too, the drivers armrest especially. I don’t think that the IS ever came with the armrest as standard, but I could be wrong. I think that they are always fitted by owners as an after thought, and most come from eBay.

As for questions, well I would like to see if the service book is dealer stamped and just make sure that any big services have actually been done and not glossed over!

Other than that, just trust your judgement. Ask the seller why he is selling the car and as you explore the possibilities that the price can be reduced. One thing to always bear in mind, if the deal seems too good to be true, it more than likely is and there may be something dodgy lurking underneath. Don’t be afraid to walk away, as there are more than enough IS’s out there and some very good ones too, you just may have to wait a while before you get one.

Hope the above helps……………

Go for it,

Just had a good look at it, does look nice if you dont buy it might.

Any reason why the pictures that are linked from that site are from a photobucket account that has the same name as your username on here. Seems very coincadental.

The beige interior shows up dirty very easily,

and it does not look better than black IMO

Also never buy a car with a vague decription like

"Recently serviced with timing belt and tensioner done as told by LEXUS"

I wanna see paperwork thanks, not what somone told me.

Like the same name thing Cadey (above),

"Any reason why the pictures that are linked from that site are from a photobucket account that has the same name as your username on here."

also quite close Luton + Hatfield aren't they

lmao

Fella you are trying to sell your car on LOC without GOLD MEMBERSHIP.

Mods will sort it out.

hi again

thanks for the info

i noticed you guys sayin the insurance is quite expensive but i was in an accident few years ago

when i add that to my insurance quote the price just doubles

from the cars ive shown you the best one to me seems to be

I have an accident on my insurance but mine are still no more than £1000. Depends on what no claims you have as well.

The drivers armrest is a personal added mod apart from on the limited edition IS's where it was standard i do believe.

And i prefer the black interior with the Royal Saphire exterior!! (and yes thats what i have :whistling: )

Hey

first of all i just want to answer about some ppl saying that my username and the guy selling the car is on photobuket are the same username.

my surname is khan and when becoming a member here yesterday i wanted my user name to be khan_is but wasntt availiable. the user name just to cAme into my mind and i just created it KHANDUB.

Any way have phoned the guy with the blue lexus and says it has full lexus service history and that when he went to get the car serviced lexus recomended these cambelt and tension etc etc and he got em done i have requested some pictures of the service history book and have arranged a viewing tommorow afternoon, i want to go during the day so i can have a good look at the car for any scratches, dents or any paint work damage. when he emails me the pictures of the service book ill post the pics up and you guys can let me know if any thing is dodgy.

how do i upload pics onto the forum

the guy selling the car is saying he has got a lot ppl viewing the car in next few days and i better hurry (but i dont to hurry myself into buying a car)

thanks again for your replies

Also i asked the guy about the armrest and said he got it from the USA and he has the invoice for the parts.

is it just me or the car a bit too good for example there are some on eBay and autotrader with very little spec but very similar prices

he also mentioned that the sat nav does screen flicker a bit and is common on these IS's

should this problem put me off

and the alloys do have some kerbing on them.

i have phoned the other guy selling the silver one and says he will be free during the weekend and i can view the car then.

ill upload the pics of the service history as soon as the guy emails them to me

Also i asked the guy about the armrest and said he got it from the USA and he has the invoice for the parts.

is it just me or the car a bit too good for example there are some on ebay and autotrader with very little spec but very similar prices

he also mentioned that the sat nav does screen flicker a bit and is common on these IS's

should this problem put me off

and the alloys do have some kerbing on them.

i have phoned the other guy selling the silver one and says he will be free during the weekend and i can view the car then.

ill upload the pics of the service history as soon as the guy emails them to me

All the armrests of they are bought as an added mod come from USA i think. If the sat nav is flickering it's not normal even if he says it's common it shouldn't happen so try and get the price down saying you will have to replace the sat nav or screen.

Everyone selling a car is going to say i've got lots of viewings and as you said dont be rushed!! Make sure you check the car completely and if you feel there is anything dodgy walk away.

Regards to the service document, check chasis and engone number on the car to the document and also i'd ask why he received discount?

I dont know much about the parts so if there is anything strange i'm sure someone will spot it.

Still smells like Billingsgate fish market to me...

KHANDUB "from the cars ive shown you the best one to me seems to be

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/213701.htm "

KHANDUB in capitals for your LOC login + the guy who

happens to be selling a car you are interested in....

Now what would be the odds on that..

I'll let other LOC members make their own minds up.

P.S well spotted Cadey