Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed Camera Detectors

johnboy

Im thinking of buying a camera detector, and would like some recomendations.

I want one that has GPS and Laser detection, there seem to be a few around that offer this, and i want something that is quite small and compact.

The one i have been looking at is this Snooper S6r

Any advice ?

Thanks

i have the road angel and it is excellent and when i got it i took the life time update option which was only £99 instead of £30 a year to keep it up to date. On the laser detection you have to be careful. Firstly most of them don't work as the new windscreens block out the detection, so you have to fit an external wire through around number plate. The other problem is that it cannot warn you of laser ahead of time, as soon as they point it at you if the detection works, then you will know, but the laser is instant and you have been caught by the time you know about it. They work on the idea that the car in front will be targeted and it will detect that and warn you. Personally i never used the laser on mine. Prefer instead to be warned of the site ahead and slow down. After all that is the object of the cameras to slow us down in areas of problems not revenue earning as most police forces and councils seem to have forgotten.

i have the road angel and it is excellent and when i got it i took the life time update option which was only £99 instead of £30 a year to keep it up to date. On the laser detection you have to be careful. Firstly most of them don't work as the new windscreens block out the detection, so you have to fit an external wire through around number plate. The other problem is that it cannot warn you of laser ahead of time, as soon as they point it at you if the detection works, then you will know, but the laser is instant and you have been caught by the time you know about it. They work on the idea that the car in front will be targeted and it will detect that and warn you. Personally i never used the laser on mine. Prefer instead to be warned of the site ahead and slow down. After all that is the object of the cameras to slow us down in areas of problems not revenue earning as most police forces and councils seem to have forgotten.

I have the Snooper S4 in my Lex. Had the S3 previosly. I like the Snooper range and used to own the old range, no subscription ones.

It is hard wired and you can only see the plug that goes into the unit from outside when you look at the windscreen.

Great units in my opinion.

Safety camera detector recommendations. Only one, do not speed. Then not only do you save yourself £100 on a detector, you save fuel, become less stressed and possibly save someone's life. Speeding is very much for immature jerks because in my job I deal with the emergency injuries of road traffic collisions and I see too many people die every day as a result of misuse of speed. I don't think the moderators should be allowing threads like this where the whole idea of a detector is about breaking the law but avoiding getting caught. Speeding isn't big, it's certainly not clever and those who do so will one day find themselves coming unstuck. Anyone who exceeds the maximum safe speed should grow up. I know this sounds really harsh and arrogant but I see too many deaths to find it funny. What makes people think that an 'L' test qualification makes them super-human drivers when the best advanced drivers in the country are all taught and practice obeying the safe limit? I don't find scraping people's corpses off the road then telling their relatives they're dead a particularly nice job and everyone can help there by slowing down.

Keith

Safety camera detector recommendations. Only one, do not speed. Then not only do you save yourself £100 on a detector, you save fuel, become less stressed and possibly save someone's life. Speeding is very much for immature jerks because in my job I deal with the emergency injuries of road traffic collisions and I see too many people die every day as a result of misuse of speed. I don't think the moderators should be allowing threads like this where the whole idea of a detector is about breaking the law but avoiding getting caught. Speeding isn't big, it's certainly not clever and those who do so will one day find themselves coming unstuck. Anyone who exceeds the maximum safe speed should grow up. I know this sounds really harsh and arrogant but I see too many deaths to find it funny. I don't find scraping people's corpses off the road then telling their relatives they're dead a particularly nice job and everyone can help there by slowing down.

Keith

I thought speed wasn't that significant in causing accidents, only inappropriate speed for conditions or situations? The police wanted to raise the motorway speed limits to 80 mph in recognition of the advances in the automobile since the national limit was introduced, but it didn't get through Parliament due to people less informed than those that wanted the change.

You sound as if you'd agree to go back to having cars preceeded by someone with a red flag :tomato:

Hit a pedestrian at 30mph, they're likely to survive. Hit a pedestrain at 45mph they're probably going to die. Doesn't matter how well the vehicle is driven, the outcome will be the same. The difference is travelling at 30mph the driver has a much greater chance of stopping.

I don't say we should go back to the days with red flags, I just think we should all act responsibly because in my opinion, and that shared with numerous of the people I work with, if you hit a pedestrian when you're exceeding the limit, it's manslaughter. You know the risks, and you still choose to do it. Can you imagine having to look the parents of a child who you have killed in the eye? More accuratley, imagine getting the news from someone like me your daughter or son is dead. Think about it.

Keith

I removed this thread, as it seemed to upset wyliecoyote,

would like opinions as to wether i have broken the law or posted offensivley.

not at all john

(this post is now invisible, other than to mods )

Hit a pedestrian at 30mph, they're likely to survive. Hit a pedestrain at 45mph they're probably going to die. Doesn't matter how well the vehicle is driven, the outcome will be the same. The difference is travelling at 30mph the driver has a much greater chance of stopping.

I don't say we should go back to the days with red flags, I just think we should all act responsibly because in my opinion, and that shared with numerous of the people I work with, if you hit a pedestrian when you're exceeding the limit, it's manslaughter. You know the risks, and you still choose to do it. Can you imagine having to look the parents of a child who you have killed in the eye? More accuratley, imagine getting the news from someone like me your daughter or son is dead. Think about it.

Keith

in an ideal world we would all drive around at 15mph and nobody would get hurt,

shame but its not an ideal world !, the fact is, everyone speeds at some point, the fact that the powers to be have decided that the motorist are an easy target and a fantastic source of revenue, and decided to erect cameras, and mount sneaky speed traps here there and everywhere,

its been proved many times that the cameras are placed where revenue can be raised and not soley on grounds of safety, so why should the motorist not attempt to protect his licence

so much emphasis has been put onto speeding, yet the German government concludes that there are no significant differences in accident and fatality rates on the restricted motorways and the unrestricted motorways within Germany

not only do most detectors warn of impeding cameras they also warn of schools and places where extra caution should be given, hardly an irresponsible act in owning one is it

I have a Road Angel. Warns you of fixed camera's, informs you when your in a Average speed check area the whole time your in the checking area, can also warn you of Blackspots, and Schools.

Displays GPS speed and has an overspeed alert which you can set yourself.

Had mine for 2 years now.

Im thinking of buying a camera detector, and would like some recomendations.

I want one that has GPS and Laser detection, there seem to be a few around that offer this, and i want something that is quite small and compact.

The one i have been looking at is this Snooper S6r

Any advice ?

Thanks

There is only one worth looking at, used to be called Origin B2 now called POGO but with more options. The importent thing is the database updates and these guys have the best. Even the SPECS location keeps track with the road works on a daily basis. There is the option of a laser detector but frankly I've never had it go off.

If you don't want the new POGO you can still pick up the B2 on eBay.

shame but its not an ideal world !, the fact is, everyone speeds at some point, the fact that the powers to be have decided that the motorist are an easy target and a fantastic source of revenue, and decided to erect cameras, and mount sneaky speed traps here there and everywhere,

its been proved many times that the cameras are placed where revenue can be raised and not soley on grounds of safety, so why should the motorist not attempt to protect his licence

so much emphasis has been put onto speeding, yet the German government concludes that there are no significant differences in accident and fatality rates on the restricted motorways and the unrestricted motorways within Germany

not only do most detectors warn of impeding cameras they also warn of schools and places where extra caution should be given, hardly an irresponsible act in owning one is it

Bazza

So if someone very dear to you gets fatally wounded in a road traffic collision you won't blame the driver as it's alright because everyone speeds at some stage?

Also with regards to schools and so on, if the driver is looking out of the window observing the road ahead and identifying hazards - signs, more paint on the road etc. then he should see the school without a device to tell him it's there whereby he takes his eyes off the road (where he should be looking in case a pedestrian or vehicle intrudes on his path) to look at a device that's warning him that that could happen. Sense??????????????? Safety cameras are painted yellow, there are signs telling you where they are, there's lists on websites and even printed in maps. If drivers are still getting caught, they're not paying attention to the road and therefore deserve to be punished because if they don't see a big yellow camera, what chance do they have at seeing a small child between two parked vehicles at dusk? I just cannot believe people don't get this. Arrogance? Stupidity? It'll never happen to me syndrome?

Also, you can protect your licence by obeying the rules of the road - not by breaking them when you think you can get away with it then behaving when otherwise you'd be caught.

Motorists are an easy target because a car can and does kill. You don't need to be James Bond to use one, you don't even have to be able to add up or say the alphabet, or even read/speak english so practically anyone can use one and go and cause a lot of injury. That's why the government target motorists because sad as it is, only the minority of people now actually obey the rules of the road and the ones who don't are at a very high risk of hurting someone.

You simply cannot condone a device that encourages drivers to break the law - only to slow down by a camera to avoid being caught.

So if someone very dear to you gets fatally wounded in a road traffic collision you won't blame the driver as it's alright because everyone speeds at some stage?

Also with regards to schools and so on, if the driver is looking out of the window observing the road ahead and identifying hazards - signs, more paint on the road etc. then he should see the school without a device to tell him it's there whereby he takes his eyes off the road (where he should be looking in case a pedestrian or vehicle intrudes on his path) to look at a device that's warning him that that could happen. Sense??????????????? Safety cameras are painted yellow, there are signs telling you where they are, there's lists on websites and even printed in maps. If drivers are still getting caught, they're not paying attention to the road and therefore deserve to be punished because if they don't see a big yellow camera, what chance do they have at seeing a small child between two parked vehicles at dusk? I just cannot believe people don't get this. Arrogance? Stupidity? It'll never happen to me syndrome?

Also, you can protect your licence by obeying the rules of the road - not by breaking them when you think you can get away with it then behaving when otherwise you'd be caught.

Motorists are an easy target because a car can and does kill. You don't need to be James Bond to use one, you don't even have to be able to add up or say the alphabet, or even read/speak english so practically anyone can use one and go and cause a lot of injury. That's why the government target motorists because sad as it is, only the minority of people now actually obey the rules of the road and the ones who don't are at a very high risk of hurting someone.

You simply cannot condone a device that encourages drivers to break the law - only to slow down by a camera to avoid being caught.

Nice speech and the application of appropriate limits would be good.

Why did I get a ticket for doing 83 half way down a straight mile bit of motorway with no junctions then by the local CSP. safety my arse

Bazza

Don’t you just hate it when some one with a misguided belief hijacks a thread so they can force the misguided beliefs down your throat…

Keith why don’t you start your own thread mate, and then we’ll be able to comment, this thread was started to ask a question not to hear your pontifications…..

I am now inclined to agree to certain answers posted to this topic. Help & advice were the initial questions asked. Now the subject has drastically changed.

Due to my profession i cannot really comment on the legalities of detection devices which are used in motor vehicles.

All i would suggest as others have done is that if this particular discussion is to be continued then we focus on the initial question(s) asked.

Regards....

...when the best advanced drivers in the country are all taught and practice obeying the safe limit?
I'm an advanced police driver, so what is your idea of a safe limit ?
... I don't find scraping people's corpses off the road then telling their relatives they're dead a particularly nice job and everyone can help there by slowing down.
I'm not being funny mate, but I spent 3 years doing that .... now I'm doing something else - but if you don't like doing that job, then don't do it. -

......... Wind your neck in!

:offtopic: I have to agree with Tango + Bazza here, its not speed itself that kills,

it is inappropriate speed that kills.

If I am travelling past a School with a 30 mph limit at 30mph, my speed could infact

be dangerous, (yet I am NOT breaking the law). A child runs out WITHOUT looking from

between 2 parked cars and goes straight under the front wheels with no chance for me

to break in time. Severely injured or possibly dead child, my driving experience affected

for the rest of my life, & yet I didn’t break the law. That is the point.

I do understand that road deaths cost the country an enormous amount of money and

Resources, and to be "scraping people's corpses off the road " is obviously not a nice

thing to do at the best of times. If we did a Poll on whether or not the LOC members

thought that YOU have broken the speed limit ever in your driving life , I dont think the

% would in fact be in your favour Keith.

With regards to (Drivers) "deserve to be punished because if they don't see a big yellow camera"

then sorry but about 30% of the cameras I come across are partially or completely obscured,

and are sited to make them difficult to see. Also the new bred of speed cameras that are approx

twice as high with Camera boxes half the size are a deliberate act to make them more difficult to

observe. I loved the way that a couple of years ago the authorities decided to deflect Speed Camera

anger from the general public by painting the back of the cameras Yellow and saying how they were

all now highly visible,(not including those placed behind roadsigns of the same height & trees that grow bigger

with more leaves covering them).

It's utter balderdash. If they really wanted to make the speed cameras more visible, and act as a deterrent,

then painting the WHOLE Camera AND its Post in yellow+ black strips would have been far more visible and

effective (or other combinations). That’s a fact that cannot be argued with.

Speed Cameras are generally (but admittedly not always) placed were they will catch most drivers,

not were there are accident blackspots (due to excessive speed).

"you don't even have to be able to add up or say the alphabet, or even read/speak English"

Hmmm, so the big sign with STOP written on it doesn't require the read/speak English criteria?

"Can you imagine having to look the parents of a child who you have killed in the eye?"

Depends on whether the child had followed the Green Cross Code and if I was breaking the speed limit.

Sometimes children dont look before they run out to catch the bus on the other side of a road, sometimes

with on roads with higher 40,50 or even 60 mph limits. Seen it happen too many times, luckily most times

without harm coming to the careless pedestrian, other than being sworn at for being stupid and not looking.

I do sometimes break the speed limit.

I do it where I deem it is safe to do so, and where it would present the smallest danger to myself and other

road users (including pedestrians). Factors including time of day, road surface conditions, visibility etc come into it.

Before you start questioning my ability to comment , I have a Full Car, Motorcycle, and LGV C+E Licence

and a lot of experience driving professionally for a living (over 10 years).

I also have 0 points on my licence.

As we live in a supposed free country(yeah right lol), people have the right until a law denies them, to use

speed camera detectors, sat nav with gps Camera positions and other equipment as they see fit.

If this equipment stops them from getting unnecessary points on their licences from badly positioned

Speed Cameras, then all the better in my opinion.

As Surgical Virus says "if you don't like doing that job, then don't do it. "

......... Wind your neck in!

:driving: On Topic ,

John I have TomTom Navigator in my PDA with gps built in ,and works great with the

Camera positions loaded, its no use against a Laser tho.

I also have a road angel 6000 (sat nav and speed cameras,schools,blackspots) great piece off kit

on the down side i think the Battery is on its way out but it has been used nearly everyday for 12hrs a day for the past 6 months so maybe to be expected

Ok, I'll consider myself outvoted. Maybe it was wrong of me to try and inflict my views on others, but I just really care about road safety. We'll say no more about it. And to celebrate this, I'm going to go and buy a road angel lol!!!! (Joke) ;)

I have a Microfusion detector, works well & does what it is supposed to do. Camera's, schools, bad corners, etc.

You also get free updates for life, you can add laser detection to it but IMO it's a waste of time, by the time it has picked up the laser there is a good chance you will already have been caught.

Thanks for all your input, ive decided against the radar option, and seeing as i have a Tom Tom, it would make more sense to go for the Tom Tom download, I had forgotten they did the cameras :P

John

Thanks for all your input, ive decided against the radar option, and seeing as i have a Tom Tom, it would make more sense to go for the Tom Tom download, I had forgotten they did the cameras :P

John

If you have a TomTom have a look at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ before you pay for the TomTom stuff.

The PocketGPSWorld database is far better than the TomTom one and it is better maintained.