Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just got ma car back from its service. Everything all OK with the service, however spoke to service manager and its to go back in for a few things under warranty.

1. Hand brake not holding on hills correctly

2. Corrision on ALL 4 of my alloys and all 4 are getting replaced - BONUS!

3. Drivers SRS airbag, part required as comes loose.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. Ive heard about the corrosion, cant believe that all 4 are getting done tho. Crazy. Oh well get an RX350 for a couple of days!!

Hi Ivan

I have only had my IS250 for one week so my wheels are as new!

As this is my 4th Lexus I have had mixed experiences with the wheel corrosion that appears to often blight the Lexus brand for some owners. The opinions of what causes it has appeared on this site previously and also those opinions vary from who you speak to, owners or Lexus staff. I have heard blame laid at the salt used on roads, corrosive wheel cleaners (I favour that one based on my own experience- read below) poor alloys used in the manufacturing process, breaks in the protective lacquer etc etc

My first a GS300 had all four wheels replaced under warranty a couple of years in. They were very badly corroded and once the 'bubbling' started it appeared to spread very quickly. I believe that many of the earlier models also suffered the same problem? My first IS200 also needed four new wheels due to corrosion, again after a couple of years but thankfully once again my dealer replaced them under the Lexus warranty without quibble.

The last IS200 I owned (traded in at 3 years old) had spotless wheels with no sign of any corrosion. I don't know if it was connected or just coincidence but this last car had the darker-coloured alloy wheels from new which was an option on the later ones. Also coincidentally, I didn't use any of the widely available alloy wheel cleaners on that last car at all. I did use them though on the first two cars that suffered the corrosion. Connected or not I have no idea, might simply have been coincidence of course, but rest assured I still intend to stick with warm soapy water to clean the wheels on my new one!

I think its decent of them to notify you of the additional stuff it needs doing, especially the wheels being replaced without prompting. Make sure that they do everything when the car goes in :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links