Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why Does The Camber Get So Far Out When Lowered Alot

Russdx

iv had all my cars lowered and never had this camber problem befor / no alot of ppl with very low cars and they dont get this camber problem

y does the is200 wheels camber get knocked so far out when low i thought whole design of suspension was to keep the actual wheel level no matter what hight it is at ??

Every car that gets lowered will have camber issues, I have also lowered other cars and they have suffered with inner tyre wear caused by the camber being at wrong settings...smaller cars would probably not suffer as bad as there normally alot lighter and dont wear tyres out as quick when standard, the IS200 is a pretty heavy car.

Tony at WIM will be able to answer this the most pro way.

worse camber i have seen is on a VW camper van at RTTS the wheels were at 45deg, they was mainly driving on there inner side walls

My lowered BMW 325 Coupe has out of whack camber due to the lowering. Whenever I got the alignments checked at the dealers the camber readout was always set as "failed due to lowering".

Difficult one to explain without over complicating things... But i'll have a go anyway.

All cars are in essence two parallelograms, consisting in the sprung (body) and unsprung (chassis). The suspension configuration between the two is an "A arm" sprung and a wishbone of sorts unsprung. Then we have the coil-over-oil suspension unit.

Assuming an unmodified car has the correct camber positions then the radius if the A arm and the wishbone are the same despite the difference in their length.

If the car is lowered the radius is no longer the same. in fact the longer lower wishbone is disproportionate to the radii of the upper, widening the unsprung wheel track displacing the camber.

It's not all doom and gloom though. A lowered car tends to have a less fluid suspension so the dynamic camber gains are reduced. This offers an "affordable" static camber position, enhancing the handling and lowering the centre of gravity.

The consequences of lowering is not an exact law. With the myriad of suspension designs some cars will suffer little camber gains, whereas cars with multilink suspension will suffer massive camber gains.

Hope this helps....