Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare Key Stolen - Recode Or Change Locks ?

Hi

A toyota Landcruiser was stolen from our drive last night, they stole the key from our house, and along with that, they have stolen the spare key for my IS 220D.

I see i have 2 options, recode the key I have, or change the locks. Personally i would prefer to recode the key I have, but I hear it's not as effective as they can still gain entry to the car with the old key, but just can't start the engine with it ? Is this correct ? Has anyone had to do this ?

BTW, since my recent 5th injector problems, the car is back to it's good old self, but I want to do some more miles in it before I can come on and say that confidently :-)

Anyway, any advice on the key thing would be greatly appreciated, I am reluctant to replace the locks due to cost, i'm quoted 500-600 pounds! I could claim it through insurance, but currently I have 4 years no claims, in about 5-6 months I will have 5, and can then get them protected. If I claim, my bonus goes down to 3 years on renewal, and my premium goes way up. Over 2 years, including the excess, I would ba paying back closer to 900-1000 quid for making the claim. So i either recode the keys, or fork out a 600 pound lump sum.... heeeeeeeeeeeellllp!

Would i be wasting my time recoding the key i have?

Thanks

KPj

First off, sorry to hear about the break-in. Glad to hear that y'all are OK and they just took the keys and vehicle.

As to offering you advice, I think the question you should be asking yourself (and perhaps the company that insures your Lexus) is that if it were stolen off your drive tonight, would your Insurance pay out? No way as the vehicle's security has been compromised and therefore they wouldn't cover you fully, or at all.

The Home Insruance is a good idea, you might be covered as there was 'froced entry' into your premises and they might then pay out. Otherwise, if the figures you calculate are correct, then I'd pay out of my own pocket. However, some Insurance companies have a clause whereby if the locks/keys on your car need repalcing they will pay you a upper limit of say 150GBP leaving you to pay the rest - BUT this claim would NOT compromise your NCB.

This happened to us where my wife lsot the keys to my Golf VR6 once upon a time and it cost us circa 300GBP @ VW Main Dealer to change all the lcoks, keys and alarm (which was a pretty good price given everything) and we were able to mitigate our losses that way.

If you have to pay, then pay up I say as by going down the recode the keys route, you leave yourself open to the risk of theft as having access is only one step removed from actually stealing it. You really need to act fast on this as you might find your Lexus is targetted next and your Insurance Co. wont pay out arguing you have not taken steps to mitigate your losses.

Thanks for the input.

My insurance company (Norwich Union) cover me for the theft of the keys rergardless of where they were stolen from. They didn't specify the need for proof such as a police report but the theft of my key has been reported aswell as the theft of the Landcruiser - despite the fact that they key and the landcruiser were stolen on the same occasion. I reported this seperately on the advice of my insurance company but with the NCB situation it's not worth claiming for it. Therefore my only options are paying the 600pound for new locks or paying 50pound for a recode of my existing key.

I asked more details about this (recoding the key). They said that they will be able to gain entry, however, if they try and start the car as normal then an alarm will go off. The guy in the garage said he's honestly not sure how much easier it would be to get the car going once inside it.

So I guess they can only gain entry by using the actual key that pops out the key ring then. I'm getting the key recoded tomorrow and will just box the car in tonight to make sure it can't move. I've still not decided about the locks getting changed, i want to know more about the security in the car - all of a sudden i'm interested in this aspect ! I'm going to read the manuals etc tonight and do some browsing on the net.

Thanks Again, I will keep you posted on what I finally decide, if i can't be 99% sure then I will fork out the 600, better than losing the car :ohmy:

KPj

Really sorry to hear about this, but I think Steve might be right. As the keys were stolen from your house, might be able to claim off your home insurance (as I assume you will be making a claim from there anyway?) which would mean it wouldn't affect your NCB at all.

It seems the cost has come down somewhat, when my car was stolen (mk1 IS), it was £1000 to replace the keys and locks! Personally I would change the locks as it isn't worth the risk.

Besides, I'm assuming your insurance company now knows of this incident? If so, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be covered if someone gained entry to your car with the key, and then vandalised the interior - that could run up a bill far more than the cost of replacing the locks.

Finally, you can protect 4 years NCB, so make sure you do it!

This is such a sad event and a very difficult to advise on.

I take it they never attempted to take the Lexus(?), therefore the key being stolen is defo a House insurance claim, I would say!! But ultimately you need to speak to your car insurance guys too.

These guys were keen to get that Land Cruiser, and taking the keys like that means they are prepared to go to some length to take a car. A Lexus with the keys would really hold kudos, so you need to be careful as they will know exactly what they have.

In the meantime, 3 things:

1) Tell your car insurance company and ask them if it's covered bearing in mind the key has gone. There could be no point in sitting there waiting for something to happen and worrying yourself silly...when it's actually still covered. Remember - they haven't actually attempted to take the car yet, so you could (small chance) still be covered fully...wasn't clear from your note if you had mentioned this to them

2) If you're not covered, ask them to consider this :- Just get a spare key and get a Tracker installed. Remember - these guys may now want the Lex at any cost - so changing locks could mean that they'll knock your door down and demand the keys...they may have an interested 3rd party now, who knows. If the car has a tracker, the insurance may still cover you. Some companies offer discounts if you have a Tracker...

3) Get yourself a steering lock - which if anything will make it less attractive to take off the drive. They may come with a Wagon and take the car on it's back once they've got inside it. A steering wheel lock like applied with the full lock on will make it difficult to "carry away". But then bear 2) above in mind...

PS - make sure you have a Crime number from the police for this.

This is such a sad event and a very difficult to advise on.

I take it they never attempted to take the Lexus(?), therefore the key being stolen is defo a House insurance claim, I would say!! But ultimately you need to speak to your car insurance guys too.

These guys were keen to get that Land Cruiser, and taking the keys like that means they are prepared to go to some length to take a car. A Lexus with the keys would really hold kudos, so you need to be careful as they will know exactly what they have.

In the meantime, 3 things:

1) Tell your car insurance company and ask them if it's covered bearing in mind the key has gone. There could be no point in sitting there waiting for something to happen and worrying yourself silly...when it's actually still covered. Remember - they haven't actually attempted to take the car yet, so you could (small chance) still be covered fully...wasn't clear from your note if you had mentioned this to them

2) If you're not covered, ask them to consider this :- Just get a spare key and get a Tracker installed. Remember - these guys may now want the Lex at any cost - so changing locks could mean that they'll knock your door down and demand the keys...they may have an interested 3rd party now, who knows. If the car has a tracker, the insurance may still cover you. Some companies offer discounts if you have a Tracker...

3) Get yourself a steering lock - which if anything will make it less attractive to take off the drive. They may come with a Wagon and take the car on it's back once they've got inside it. A steering wheel lock like applied with the full lock on will make it difficult to "carry away". But then bear 2) above in mind...

PS - make sure you have a Crime number from the police for this.

Better than that - park the mother-in-law inside.