Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Discs Worn Out At 50k

I've been told by my Lexus dealer that my discs are undersize having already been machined once and that I'm up for $850 to replace pads and discs. The car has done 50K. Reading the US forums I believe this is common but I still do not think its acceptable. And not covered by warranty? Pads acceptable but I think this is far too early for discs themselves.

Opinions?

Thanks

Tony

I've been told by my Lexus dealer that my discs are undersize having already been machined once and that I'm up for $850 to replace pads and discs. The car has done 50K. Reading the US forums I believe this is common but I still do not think its acceptable. And not covered by warranty? Pads acceptable but I think this is far too early for discs themselves.

Opinions?

Thanks

Tony

I'm assuming you have an auto? Sounds about right - they are always harder on pads and discs because there is less engine braking. Also I have no idea how you drive - could you be hard on the brakes. Because of the lack of asbestos in brake discs these days they are harder and do wear the discs quicker.

i would not expect the brake discs to be covered by warranty as it is a consumable part.

but one suggestion... do not have the parts replaced at the lesus dealer as the labour charge is very very high.

the discs are quite cheap so get a price for "parts only" no idea of the cost of lexus brake pads but if they are expensive look at another brand mintex for example

Discs and Pads are normally 12 months only for premature wear

Interestingly, my old A4 was serviced at around 42k and the dealer stated that the pads were 30% worn. Must be my driving style - my old Corolla (1990) went from new for 64500 miles on the same pads and discs...

Auto's tend to be heavier on brakes - swamprat - is yours an Auto? Also, if you do lots of stop start driving then obviously they will go quicker...also density of the material plays a part. Most OEM pads (especially) are softer to give a good feel when braking. Some aftermearket ones are harder, but then they can destroy your discs quicker.

I'm not an expert, but this is because the pads now fitted to modern cars are a lot harder than they used to be since using asbestos was (rightly) banned.

Instead of the pads being just about wholly "sacrificial", the discs get worn away quicker than they used to.

I had to have new discs fitted to my old car (a Ford Focus) after around 30k miles.

Of course, your style of driving greatly affects the longevity of components.

even with an auto, 50k is nothing for brakes, depending on your driving style. My last car was a BMW 530i auto and only changed the pads at 72k (and that was only front or back, can't remember which). never had any issue with discs.

Swamprat, how many sets of tyres have you been through? This will give an idea of your driving style and if the brake wear seems excessive. :shifty:

My subarus used a set of tyres every year (25000 Km) and the brake pads and rotors would get 60-70000, and they were driven quite hard. My IS250 has only done 2000km so no comparison yet. :winky:

Do you also have excessive brake dust and 'grabby' brakes at low speeds, ie slowing for traffic lights?

Swamprat, how many sets of tyres have you been through? This will give an idea of your driving style and if the brake wear seems excessive. :shifty:

My subarus used a set of tyres every year (25000 Km) and the brake pads and rotors would get 60-70000, and they were driven quite hard. My IS250 has only done 2000km so no comparison yet. :winky:

Do you also have excessive brake dust and 'grabby' brakes at low speeds, ie slowing for traffic lights?

I have excessive brake dust and very 'grabby' brakes at lower speeds. I'm swopping them for IS350 calipers, rotors and the OEM ceramic low dust pads as soon as I can get them from the 'States...the loss in efficiency from using the low dust pads are more than compensated by using the bigger brake set, and should also lose the 'grabbiness'. My rotors aren't too worn at 13K, but more than you would think for that mileage.

i have the same trouble too. wheels need cleaning every couple of days. my disks and pads seem very worn too for twenty k so have purchased some new rossini

performance drilled/grooved disks and mintex pads as these were the only pads i could find. all in total cost £280 not fitted. you can also get 8 pot K-sport big brake kits now but they are a bit pricey at around £1000 plus fitting but they would look the bis.

guys I just realised- when I said 50K thats Aussie slang for 50,000 kilometers- not 50,000 miles. Had you realised this?

so that is about 31000 miles

I presume $850 is Australian dollars equating to about £350

i had my is 220d serviced last week, i was told my pads were 20% worn after 10,000 miles but my discs had a wear lip starting to form, i was told that they would probably change the dics at the next service

under warranty I hope. Discs shouldn't wear quicker than the pads!

Further to my recent purchase and a phone conversation with service about fitting my items i now find out that brake disks ARE covered under warranty and will be replaced free of charge until the vehicle warranty runs out. the pads on the other hand are consumable and would have to be paid for when required or when disks replaced under warranty. Apparently not a lot of people know about this so if they try it on ring sheffield lexus to put them straight.

I've now spoken to Lexus Australia who tell me they consider brake discs a "wear and tear" item and as such not covered by warranty. I've told them they are out of step with Lexus UK but they don't care. This means I will end up changing these twice more if I keep it for 5 years.

Not good and I'm seriously considering getting rid of it

Tony

All i can say is keep on at them or try and contact lexus head office who should be able to put things straight. if this does not work try to source another make of disk and pad like i did before i found they were covered under warranty. i am going to fit mine anyway as they should be better than oem. if you do fit other makes of "wear and tear" items this will not in any way affect your vehicle warranty as manufacturers can no longer monopolies servicing and consumable parts eg brakes, tyres, fluids, filters etc as long as they meet the minimum manufacturer specifications. GOOD LUCK buddy would be a shame to ditch the car if you generally like it, although i know how frustrating it can be finding answers.

All i can say is keep on at them or try and contact lexus head office who should be able to put things straight. if this does not work try to source another make of disk and pad like i did before i found they were covered under warranty. i am going to fit mine anyway as they should be better than oem. if you do fit other makes of "wear and tear" items this will not in any way affect your vehicle warranty as manufacturers can no longer monopolies servicing and consumable parts eg brakes, tyres, fluids, filters etc as long as they meet the minimum manufacturer specifications. GOOD LUCK buddy would be a shame to ditch the car if you generally like it, although i know how frustrating it can be finding answers.

What's the problem? Disks are a consumable and willl require replacement eventually, sooner rather than later if it's an auto, you're using a more agressive pad or your driving style is heavy on brake use.. Dead easy to change and relatively cheap components.

yeh you are both right. I love the car and I think I was just ****** off yesterday. I'm looking at getting a non lexus dealer to do the brakes who says they can do it at half the quoted lexus price

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I may look at aftermarket discs and pads also

yeh you are both right. I love the car and I think I was just ****** off yesterday. I'm looking at getting a non lexus dealer to do the brakes who says they can do it at half the quoted lexus price

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I may look at aftermarket discs and pads also

Swamprat, Ive changed rotors on my previous Subarus with DBA rotors and they were better than the original japanese fitted version, same with wifes Commodore. I'm sure they'd have something worthy, look at slotted as well if you enjoy some spirited driving on occasions.

the disks i have purchased are the rossini performance disks which are drilled and grooved and mintex pads as these were the only ones available at the time. I would like to try some ebc green stuff or similar but can not source them in the uk and not sure if the USA version would fit the standard calipers so any info would be great. Total cost for disks and pads was £280 plus fitting when i get round to it, supplier was carparts direct on the net, hope they are as good as the hype 40% better than oem disks and up to 3 car lengths shorter stopping distance, lifesaver in my opinion. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi there i have a 2005 lexus is250 manual, my brakes seem harder to use in comparison with say my 2007 range rover sport or 2001 ford focus, is this normal, or is it just my car, jus feels like you have to stamp on pedal to make it work, like theres no assistance?!!! any ideas?