Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 Extended Warranty

Car coming up to three years old and have been offered an extended warranty by Lexus for one year for £825.00.

Seems a lot for a car which is supposed to be of above average reliability.

Any comments?

Any suggestions to go elsewhere for similar cover at a more resonable price?

TIA

I would try Warranty direct who depending on your mileage will offer a much better rate cost wise.

I have my Lexus GS (annual cost £305) and labour rate as per Lexus franchised dealer and Harrier/RX300(Annual cost on 60k = £290 - their network garage) insured with them and the cover seems comprehensive.

I know the BMW club recommend them due to BMW extended warranty prices being so high similar to Lexus.

Contact them www.warrantydirect.co.uk or 0800 731 7001 for a free quote and then compare the two policies.

There is another company in the market now as well.Similar name but no doubt can be located via Google.

Agree Lexus should be reliable but I suppose the FT and coffee and fancy showrooms have to be paid for somehow. Harold

Good advice Harold,

I would definitely leave £825 well alone, but for 300 notes, you're quids in, remember you're insuring against being the unlucky guy whose gearbox totally fails and it needs 5K spending on it. At 825 you're paying for someone, somewhere to drive round in a 600h.

The older I get, the more I see this kind of charging, you have to thank the internet, if you use it, life becomes so much more satisifying, or should I say so much less disappointing.

Keep the info flowing

Cheers

Jon

Just to put the opposite point of view:

Two points - the Lexus extended warranty includes a year's free breakdown cover with the RAC, at their top level (home start cover, onward travel cover if stranded, travelling in any car, etc), so that's worth about £100. More if you extend it to a partner/spouse as well because that's free.

Warranty Direct policies may exclude lots of things that the Lexus one does not. Look out for small print that says they will fix the broken item - but not any damage caused by the failure. At low levels of policy if a belt breaks and the engine goes bang, they will cover the belt, and not even that if they argue it's "wear and tear".

To get a comparable level of real cover you need the Warranty Direct Gold policy, from memory (I priced all this last year) and that is within a spit of the Lexus one anyway, and doesn't include breakdown cover.

Not saying the WD policy is no good, just that you should be very careful when you check the actual policy documents that the cover is comparable. Like everything, you don't get something for nothing with insurance.

Just to put the opposite point of view:

Two points - the Lexus extended warranty includes a year's free breakdown cover with the RAC, at their top level (home start cover, onward travel cover if stranded, travelling in any car, etc), so that's worth about £100. More if you extend it to a partner/spouse as well because that's free.

Warranty Direct policies may exclude lots of things that the Lexus one does not. Look out for small print that says they will fix the broken item - but not any damage caused by the failure. At low levels of policy if a belt breaks and the engine goes bang, they will cover only the belt, and not even that if they argue it's "wear and tear".

To get a comparable level of real cover you need the Warranty Direct Gold policy, from memory (I priced all this last year) and that is within a spit of the Lexus one anyway, and doesn't include breakdown cover.

Not saying the WD policy is no good, just that you should be very careful when you check the actual policy documents that the cover is comparable. Like everything, you don't get something for nothing with insurance.

If you intend to get a warranty from an external company bear in mind that the Lexus extended warranty is an "as new" warranty - i.e. it covers all the stuff the original 3 year one does.

almost everything, but it's very good.

For a 3 year old vehicle I personally wouldn't bother with any warranty. If anything major went wrong I'm sure you can get it repaired under the sale of goods act as the vehicle wouldn't be fit for purpose as it should last longer than that.

This is the same reason why electrical goods extended warranties are a rip off. If your TV breaks down after 1.5 years then you can take the retailer/manufacturer to court as the product is not of an acceptable quality and they will be forced to repair/replace FOC.

Looking around other news groups it is difficult to find anyone with a good word for extended warranties.

I appreciate the people who find them satisfactory are hardly likely to post a message.

So has anyone here used an extended warranty company that has paid up and given satisfactory service?

I fully intend to renew our Warranty when it comes up for renewal next year because the RX, like most other premium segment vehicles, it is choked full of technology (read: gadgets, gizmos, wires and thing-a-me-what-sits) which, like all machines, can go wrong. With Lexus labour rates @ 100BGP +VAT per hour, the cost can readily mount up for something quite simple.

If I renew the Lexus Warranty then I get peace of mind and convenience built in - if it breaks, I take it to my nearest Lexus Dealer and get them to fix it - paperless and cashless process to claim as its all handled directly through the company. Totally hassel.

With a Third Party company, the issue is always about the small print and the invariable wrangling you have to undertake to get a job done...which means time spent chasing/arguing/negotiating/form filling with them when I least have the time to do so.

As an example, I had an E46 'covered' through Warranty Wise. The vehicle suffered two (rear) suspension coil failures. It had received a full MOT by the local BMW Dealer (where it had been serviced and maintianed) not two months earlier. WW flatly refused to pay the cost to replace both coils as they deemed it near impossible for both coils to fail simultaneously and would therefore only pay for one only - this was despite both having snapped. When my local Dealer processed the claim, WW stated that BMW were over charging the price of the part and would only pay 'wholesale cost' of the item (a figure they beleived the part would cost them if sourced from someplace like GSF or ECP). Now, which Main Dealer will agree to fit a non-genuine manufacturer part? BMW would not fit any non-genuine BMW part and WW would not budge from their position of the genuine BMW part costing too much. Thankfully BMW stepped in, met the difference and I was left no worse off - but I was lucky. The small print is truly a small print and you should really think thrice (or more) if money saved with these Third Party companies is truly worth it.

I can't be doing with all this running around and when it comes time to renew my Warranty, will gladly renew my Lexus one - as also come sale time, it will be attractive to any prospective buyer.