Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance Again!

Tango

As I'm a lazy sod I'd like to take advantage of the vast experience we have on LOC and ask for peeps recommendations for the best Insurance Company to contact to insure an 18 year old male who has recently passed his test (currently doing Pass Plus). Anyone??? :unsure:

Try Liverpool Victoria, I got a quote online ( in my name ) with my son to drive a s a provisional for £500 ish, next cheapest was £1200. Deffo try confused.com bu will depend on who will be the main driver.

Thanks Steve, I'll try both. My son passed his test a few days ago and we're looking for a Corsa SXi or similar to last him through Uni.

...and no he will not be getting his hands on the 250 Wozza, though the IS200 may go his way when the insurance isn't so painful :winky:

I bought a Corsa Comfort 1.0 12V for my some to get some additional learning skills, well worth looking up insurance groups for different models ( tip. you can play with this on confused.com to get quotes for different models ).

Just make sure he's insured on his own policy, otherwise he won't build up any NCD if he's just a named driver on yours and that'll screw him for insurance when he gets some experience. Common sense I know. What you could do is insure him on his own policy and put you as a named driver on his insurance - it can reduce the premium. I've got 8 years NCD and I still put my father on as a named driver and it reduces my premium by about £100 - I only pay £480 with him as a names driver as opposed to £585 without. Quite why I don't know, but it does. Pass plus usually pays for itself with cheaper premiums anyway so it's a good investment, and makes youngsters much safer (damn I feel old!). If he gets any points in his first year, even 3 which I hope he doesn't, he'll struggle to get insurance. Good luck and hope he gets what he wants.

Just a small tip, the SXi is a popular model with boy racers so you'll likely find that attracts higher premiums. The Comfort, Design or Club spec Corsas are likely to be cheaper to insure - although admittedly they don't look quite as good or drive quite as well.

Just make sure he's insured on his own policy, otherwise he won't build up any NCD if he's just a named driver on yours and that'll screw him for insurance when he gets some experience. Common sense I know. What you could do is insure him on his own policy and put you as a named driver on his insurance - it can reduce the premium. I've got 8 years NCD and I still put my father on as a named driver and it reduces my premium by about £100 - I only pay £480 with him as a names driver as opposed to £585 without. Quite why I don't know, but it does. Pass plus usually pays for itself with cheaper premiums anyway so it's a good investment, and makes youngsters much safer (damn I feel old!). If he gets any points in his first year, even 3 which I hope he doesn't, he'll struggle to get insurance. Good luck and hope he gets what he wants.

Just a small tip, the SXi is a popular model with boy racers so you'll likely find that attracts higher premiums. The Comfort, Design or Club spec Corsas are likely to be cheaper to insure - although admittedly they don't look quite as good or drive quite as well.

Thanks for all the advice guys. As a matter of interest I used confused.com and punched in the 2003 Corsa SXi 1.2 litre 16V registration..cheapest quote was £1209. Just for comparison I then used the same details for my son, but punched in the registration number of my daughters 1998 Corsa GL < 1.0 litre 12V...came up with exactly the same quote £1209 :unsure: from the same Company. No difference between a Group 3 and a Group 1???

my wife paid £400 for a pug 106... that dropped down by 80 quid as soon as i added my name as a 2nd driver..

I wonder if the reverse is true? I have my wife as second driver on my IS250, but she never, ever drives it. It may come down in price if I remove her (as second driver that is :whistling: ).

changing the subject ever so slightly, i keep hearing you guys quote the prices you pay for your is250`s and all seem to be from £450 upwards, these quotes are also dependant on the postcodes and the crime figures in your area ie;car theft etc, alright i live in norfolk but i only pay £200 comprehensive for me and the wife with priviledge, the joanna lumly insurance company but you do have to have 5yrs ncb, give them a try they may save you a few quid.

changing the subject ever so slightly, i keep hearing you guys quote the prices you pay for your is250`s and all seem to be from £450 upwards, these quotes are also dependant on the postcodes and the crime figures in your area ie;car theft etc, alright i live in norfolk but i only pay £200 comprehensive for me and the wife with priviledge, the joanna lumly insurance company but you do have to have 5yrs ncb, give them a try they may save you a few quid.

Mines £320 including legal, protected NCB etc. with declared mods (lowered, wheels, tints etc)...not too expensive. Next time I'll take the wife off (10 years younger than me :winky: ) and see if it makes a difference :lol:

Thanks for all the advice guys. As a matter of interest I used confused.com and punched in the 2003 Corsa SXi 1.2 litre 16V registration..cheapest quote was £1209. Just for comparison I then used the same details for my son, but punched in the registration number of my daughters 1998 Corsa GL < 1.0 litre 12V...came up with exactly the same quote £1209 :unsure: from the same Company. No difference between a Group 3 and a Group 1???

To be honest, I think insurance companies just make things up as they go along. I renewed my car insurance a couple of weeks ago. On one day, which I spent all day searching for cheaper quotes - the price for exactly the same cover from exactly the same company changed. The starting quote from esure was £6xx something, then by the end of the day, exactly the same thing was £498. Why? Also on the list of quotes you get, why are some around that price and you scroll down the list and I found quotes for £2500. Are they basically saying they don't want your business?

I used moneysupermarket.com for my quotes, it came up with a list of prices and when I clicked the link to a price I liked (sainsburys car insurance) the price came out £150 odd more. When I rang them to ask why, they said that sites like confused.com and moneysupermarket.com were just guidelines and they didn't necessarily reflect the true price of the car insurance. Seems like a swizz to me.

Sorry for the rant - I just don't like being ripped off!

Keith :unsure:

BTW, privilege were cheap for me also. I went with them last year and they were by far and away the cheapest. Esure beat them this year though - only by a couple of pounds though.

BTW, privilege were cheap for me also. I went with them last year and they were by far and away the cheapest. Esure beat them this year though - only by a couple of pounds though.

Tesco just came back to me with a price that beat the lot for my 18 year old's insurance on a 2002 SXi...£1033....0 NCB, Student, and full license 5 days old.

i got my son at 17 as a learner through direct line for a fiesta 1.2. that was £1700 in his own name, which sounds a lot but as a learner i didn't think too bad. Highest quote was £4,000. he passed his test in four months later and then did his pass plus. This cost £130 and when he passed the insurance gave him a refund of £175 for the last 6 months of his insurance. At renewal on his 18th birthday, i was able to get it down to £800 with Churchill and by then he had 1 years NCB. (apparantly they class the NCB from stat of insurance not date of test). Moral of story is get him on own insurance as quick as possible and start it accumulating. The above figures including both me and his mother as named drivers.

One warning to others reading is that if you add a child onto your own insurance as a named driver they are not insured to drive to college, work etc unless the insurance is in their name as them being the main driver.

PS i also looked at the norwich union pay as you drive policy and this came out very cheap, but i preferred to know how much i would be paying each month then have him running around clocking up miles in petrol and additional insurance costs. Roll on finishing Uni and getting a job so he can it himself.

Norwhich Union used to give about 50% discount for having pass plus not sure if they still do

The Tesco price will be after 20% reduction foe Pass Plus which he's doing now. My daughter was the same...20% refund on producing the certificate. Doubt if anyone would reduce it by 50% for Pass Plus...it's not even a test :unsure:

i got my son at 17 as a learner through direct line for a fiesta 1.2. that was £1700 in his own name, which sounds a lot but as a learner i didn't think too bad. Highest quote was £4,000. he passed his test in four months later and then did his pass plus. This cost £130 and when he passed the insurance gave him a refund of £175 for the last 6 months of his insurance.

That's unusual. Learner drivers' premiums are usually small by comparison because they always have to be in the car with an experienced driver. They usually skyrocket when they've passed their test. I'd have added the learner onto my policy until he/she passed and the got their own because otherwise it serves no obvious purpose - I didn't think you could get your NCB until you had passed your test?

Maybe I'm wrong?

Keith

Norwhich Union used to give about 50% discount for having pass plus not sure if they still do

The Tesco price will be after 20% reduction foe Pass Plus which he's doing now. My daughter was the same...20% refund on producing the certificate. Doubt if anyone would reduce it by 50% for Pass Plus...it's not even a test :unsure:

When i passed my test i did the pass plus and my first year i went with Norwich union as before pass plus they where asking £1600 and afterwards it was £850. It was to encourage younger drivers to take the pass plus as it's supposed to help improve driving abilities.

no good adding him to my car as both lexus are automatic so he wouldn't have been able to learn in ours, so needed his own manual or else not bother until he passed test and pay more out in lessons. But yes the NCB started from date his insurance started, i did call them to check as i didn't belive it either and i had them note on the policy that i had queried it just in case they came back later and said i had given false information. Also if i had bought the car and put in my name, you have to state main driver, and main driver would be a learner, so premium was same, but he wouldn't have been getting the NCB. If i didn't say he was main driver then in a claim situation you run the risk of non-payout, especially as i am already main driver on another policy.

no good adding him to my car as both lexus are automatic so he wouldn't have been able to learn in ours, so needed his own manual or else not bother until he passed test and pay more out in lessons. But yes the NCB started from date his insurance started, i did call them to check as i didn't belive it either and i had them note on the policy that i had queried it just in case they came back later and said i had given false information. Also if i had bought the car and put in my name, you have to state main driver, and main driver would be a learner, so premium was same, but he wouldn't have been getting the NCB. If i didn't say he was main driver then in a claim situation you run the risk of non-payout, especially as i am already main driver on another policy.

Fair comment ;)

only just noticed this thread, ever since i passed my test at 17 (not 22) i have been insursed with tesco online. never had a problem with them and im one of those that will get 100 quotes come renewal time.

year after year nobody can seem to beat what im quoted at tesco even since having the lex (2 years now).

on the one time ive had to claim, to get a chip fixed in the windsceen, i called them up in the morning and the following morning someone was here from autoglass to fix it.