Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Window Tinting

i've heard recently there been a serious clampdown on tints, so be careful how dark you get them, my car has no tints either but i've seen other green ones with tints and they look so much better than mine

Rear Tints ie back 3 windows can be completely Limo Black with no

trouble from the plod and within the law. Mine are Dark Smoke, one

shade up from the Limo Black, and very light from inside the car.

Remember to declare it with your insurance company , about a

10% extra premium for mine.

The front side, or windscreen are a defo no-no ! It is breaking the law

to tint front windows for about 4 years now I believe.

CarTint1.jpg

CarTint1-1.jpg

I've checked with my insurance (esure) and the extra premium is £20 and something pence which is pretty good. I wouldn't have thought of the insurance actually. Thanks for the tip. Can anyone recommend a good tinting company? Price isn't an issue - I'd rather pay for a quality job.

Keith :)

I think if i was to have mine done on my lexus i'd go for the security tint thats applied to stop people breaking your windows seen it a couple of times now at shows and is suposed to be insurance friendly as its a security precaution to stop entry? might be worth looking at Keith? :)

Continuity i am afraid you are wrong my friend,

ask Surgical Virus or any policeman or window

tinter + they will tell you it has been illegal to tint

windows from the drivers shoulder forwards for a

few years now.

(unless it's for off road use of course :whistling:)

Wozza you are wrong !

Continuity is correct, except that it is 70% light, and this has been the law for a few years now

See here window tinting regs

I am thinking of having it done too. B)

Yes you are allowed to tint the front windows as long as you allow 70% of light through but you will find with most standard car windows even the lightest tint will take it past 70% as the windows will have a natural/factory tint to them already.

So best just to leave them alone.

Stav

John if I'm wrong then fair enough mate, but lots of info on the net seems to agree with me.

They do look cool with a small tint applied to the front but....

I read this and other info on the net...

this quote from Surgical Virus on LOC

"This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads." "Unfortunately however, even tint films that may be considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners."

"Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)

The owner or driver of such a vehicle would be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed."

"Below 30% Visible Light Transmission (Excessively dark window tints)

The driver or owner of such a vehicle may be issued with an immediate Prohibition Notice and immediately prevented from driving the vehicle on public roads until the tints have been removed and either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Office confirms that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. It is also possible depending on the severity of the offence, that the owner may be prosecuted for driving a vehicle in a non-roadworthy or even dangerous condition with the potential for penalty points and a fine.

Driving such a vehicle on public roads before the tints have been removed and before a Prohibition notice has been lifted will be a serious offence and the owner or driver is likely to be prosecuted. "

Stav above

"even the lightest tint will take it past 70% as the windows will have a natural/factory tint to them already.

So best just to leave them alone."

http://www.autoshades.co.uk/ click on the Legal button on that page..

"UK law currently states that the front driver + passenger windows cannot be tinted

apart from a Clear Security Film. The Back windows can be treated with any shade"

This agrees with me completely as to what I stated in my previous post ,these guys

do it for a living so should know the law.

http://www.autoinnovations.co.uk/tintsales.htm

"IMPORTANT NOTICE

WINDOW TINTING TO FRONT AUTO WINDOWS

Due to irresponsible marketers and individuals fitting excessively dark and poor quality window films to front driver and passenger windows, the authorities have found it necessary to clamp down to eradicate this practice."

"It is most regrettable now that after much effort over many years as responsible professionals trying to get our industry to regulate itself that now new legislation has been employed to enforce new practices. This will require that front window tint, previously considered acceptable, will now require removal or replacement."

Chris Keeble Auto Innovations

I had my rear wondows tinted earlier this year and was advised by

the installers that it was illegal to tint the front windows, and

has been for about 4 years now. I only wanted a slight tint on the front,

but was told I would have to sign a disclaimer that I knew the Tints were

not for road use, hence I left mine alone on the front of my car.

I am not a Traffic Officer, but am quoting it as I have read it and have been told by professionals in the industry.

If I am wrong then I ain't the only one, including industry people who by definition have it wrong also.

Anyone with a a clear answer here would be Solomon as opinions seem to differ widely.

Maybe the people who say it's legal may have a vested interest...ie be window tinters who want your money.

The important bit.

My only advice would be if you want front tints done, you get a signed document from the window tint installer

stating that the tints they have applied to your car are legal, and they will also indemnify you against any and

all legal action taken against you(the owner/driver of the car), and will refund your money if the tints do in fact

break the law. If you find a reputable dealer that will do this and guarantee you this in writing, give me his

number and I'll get my fronts done..........not before.

Everybody is right!!

*you can tint the fronts upto 30%

*most cars come as standard with 30% some even more!!

*to ensure you stay legal leave em alone!!

I took my car to the local station and got a traffic officer to check if my light smoke would be legal before putting it on and actually it was already over the limit at 68% visible light as standard probably because it was like this before the regs came in!

I have seen the police doing checks and actually enforcing the instanty removal or taking the car of the road at the owners expense!

As much i would love to have em done they stayin as they are n legal... for now at least!!

Thing is, unless i could tint all the windows, i wouldnt bother i think it looks cack with just the rears done...

That's exactly what I was thinking - I just don't think it looks as good. It's the kind of thing you'd have to see on your own car before you could decide but unfortunately it would then be too late!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links