Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just a quickie. Three of the alloys on my IS220d have started bubbling up - I presume this is corrosion under the paint/lacquer. It's only minor at the moment, but it's in quite a few places. Is this something that should be happening so early in a car's lifetime? I don't remember it happening with any of the other brands I had before my Lexus.

Advice very much appreciated.

JFB

Just a quickie. Three of the alloys on my IS220d have started bubbling up - I presume this is corrosion under the paint/lacquer. It's only minor at the moment, but it's in quite a few places. Is this something that should be happening so early in a car's lifetime? I don't remember it happening with any of the other brands I had before my Lexus.

JFB

A common problem with Lex alloys (and maybe toyota also). A quick trip to the dealer and new alloys will be yours under warranty. :D

Rich.

No one knows. People have their own ideas. Take my car - all wheels cleaned and fettled identically with no abrasive stuff at all. Even applied Carack68 to all sides of the alloy/spokes. Result?

12 months on from new and 2 had to be replaced, 2 are still perfect...explain that one....the pairs are diagonally opposite to each other, so it can't be excessive break dust etc either from what I can tell...

It must be something during finishing that causes this. Some are coated, lacquered and finished better than others....

My Audi had all 4 needing replacement - but none of my previous cars ever did. Even our Nissan with 12 months old alloys is still perfect...

BMW wheels seem, to me at least and from my exerience of BMW lovers in my family/history to be far better. Never had any blistering or lacquer problems, though some on this forum who have had BMW's have had problems...

Guest inicol63

This is a common problem across the whole Lexus range.

Why should we still be having these problem on the "Lexus range" on model that are at most a couple of years old.

They know that this problem exists and has been out their since the beginning of the brand, so why has nothing been done.

Maybe they just hope that this happens outside the cars warrenty preiod, and take us for mugs.

So get down there and get them exchanged.

Nothing to do with what your doing lex bhoy

No one knows. People have their own ideas. Take my car - all wheels cleaned and fettled identically with no abrasive stuff at all. Even applied Carack68 to all sides of the alloy/spokes. Result?

12 months on from new and 2 had to be replaced, 2 are still perfect...explain that one....the pairs are diagonally opposite to each other, so it can't be excessive break dust etc either from what I can tell...

It must be something during finishing that causes this. Some are coated, lacquered and finished better than others....

My Audi had all 4 needing replacement - but none of my previous cars ever did. Even our Nissan with 12 months old alloys is still perfect...

BMW wheels seem, to me at least and from my exerience of BMW lovers in my family/history to be far better. Never had any blistering or lacquer problems, though some on this forum who have had BMW's have had problems...

Surely to goodness this long running problem will have been sorted out on cars being manufactured now.

It must be costing Lexus a fortune, though I suppose they claim it back from the manufacturer, however it is doing nothing for the brands reputation. Does it happen on other models in the range?

Mini, going on 3 years old and 30,000 miles, not the slightest blemish.

Experience with Audi A4, 7J x16 competition alloys over 9 years old, 100,000 miles, slight chips and scratches here and there but only slight bubbling around one valve.

Surely to goodness this long running problem will have been sorted out on cars being manufactured now.

It must be costing Lexus a fortune, though I suppose they claim it back from the manufacturer, however it is doing nothing for the brands reputation. Does it happen on other models in the range?

Experience with Audi A4, 7J x16 competition alloys over 9 years old, 100,000 miles, slight chips and scratches here and there but only slight bubbling around one valve.

It happens on all Toyota and Lexus models that have standard wheels from Japan and has been an issue for at least 15 years. I don't know why Lexus GB don't just throw them all away when the vehicles arrive in this country and source European wheels. Probably work out cheaper in the long run and avoid reputation issues. Or they should just have all new wheels refurbed in this country before the vehicle is put on sale.

It happens on all Toyota and Lexus models that have standard wheels from Japan and has been an issue for at least 15 years. I don't know why Lexus GB don't just throw them all away when the vehicles arrive in this country and source European wheels. Probably work out cheaper in the long run and avoid reputation issues. Or they should just have all new wheels refurbed in this country before the vehicle is put on sale.

I had same after 18months and Lexus Ipswich changed all 4 wheels no questions asked. They also

suggested I check again just before 3 year warranty expires, as will replace again if new wheels have

done the same. I was told that wheels are made for US market and wheels when used in US have Lexus

have no problems, yet in UK we use different type of grit on our roads in the winter which breaks down

coating. Whatever the cause it seems it seems a crazy waste of money for Lexus GB / Europe.

Just started to notice a slight rough texture when I rub my finger over the alloys. There is also some dark coloured pitting. Is this the beginning of the problem? Grateful for advice on the symptoms to look for.

Richard, Dark coloured pitting is what I had. Basically if surface is not smooth after cleaning and you cannot clean as you would like back to a totally clean smooth surface, I suggest you take it back and say your not happy with the wheels.

I am sure they will then replace under warranty, as the problem would seem to be well known at Lexus.

My wife has spent many years working in Audi Aftersales and they replace plenty of alloy wheels as well - it's just regarded as some sort of ongoing cost. Actually, having looked over the paperwork she brings home you realise VW/Audi engineering isn't that good after all.

Never had corrosion issues on my 18" wheels ,wonder if the supplier is different(hope I don't live to regret this as my Hoshis really do look the part)

Tel :driving:

My wheels just have small bubbles under the paint, no pitting. They're definitely spreading - looks a bit like acne for wheels!

One of the reasons I haven't done anything about it yet is that I live near Gatwick, and there's nowhere round here to take the car in to. Nearest centres are Tunbridge W, Croydon or Brighton, all of which are at least an hour away at peak times. Do you think one of them would come and collect it for me?

JFB2

Do you think one of them would come and collect it for me?

JFB2

Yes, it is warranty work so they would probably get extra from lexus GB for collecting it too although i don't know. My nearest garage is nearly an hour away and they have always collected the car when requested(at no cost).

• 2 weeks later...

JFB

A common problem with Lex alloys (and maybe toyota also). A quick trip to the dealer and new alloys will be yours under warranty. :D

Rich.

Mine being replaced amongst HUGE amounts of other stuff.

I don't know about the other German manufacturers but Lexus, Toyota, Mazda and Nissan alloy wheels are made in the same Chinese factory by the same supplier who also supplies Audi/VW. They must make so many hundreds of thousands that the ones they get back are a drop in the ocean.

All 4 wheels and the plastic trim changed on my SC at 2 years old.

Bubbling around the spokes from 17 months.

All four tyres then had slow punctures so another set had to be fitted :unsure:

Similar issues on 86 celica, 91 celica and 97 Supra.

Lexus and Toyota need to stop this NOW.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember where I read it, but I thought there was a problem with Japanese environment legislation which meant that the paintwork on alloys were not very durable.

Having read some of the posts here, it seems the problem isn't restricted to Japan.

Does anyone know if you can buy alloys that either don't have this problem or are perhaps not painted e.g. chrome plated?

I plan to keep my Lexus a looooong time as Lexus have obviously usurped Mercedes position as the manufacturer of cars that last decades. Mercedes have moved up the price range with Maybach.

• 2 weeks later...

Theory oiut of the window - my Audi had wheels that corroded. It's down to whichever supplier and painting process that is the cause. These wheels may be made in japan, but they could be made anywhere. No company would manufacture something in a country like this where they knew world wide sales would mean 60% come back under warranty!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links