Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Lcd?

IRLRs200

Theres not alot of difference between those two is there :unsure:

Dont think you can go far wrong with Samsung though.

Only real difference i can see is 349 Euro in the difference! Cant see anything that would make it worth paying that extra for. Slightly different finish at the bottom ; silver compared to black. think ill go for the cheaper option so!

i have the 52" version and it is fantastic. Only point i would make, is check where you will site it. Mine is on wall and i get refelction from window which is opposite on left and at night from a wall light opposite on right as my model has the reflective style screen which i think gives a better picture, but you may be better without one if you have light sources opposite like me. Incidentally stick with LCD not plasma, as i hear plasmas screens only have a 5 year life span.

if you are going to mount it, i can send you a link to a great cable tidy which a little expensive but looks fabulous on wall.

Doesnt make alot of difference nowadays does it arent online shops pretty much the same as ones in the high street.

Nah its not going to be mounted unfortunately as the layout of the room doesn't allow for it. I think it might be a safer bet to get it from Currys for 2500 and get the accidental damage warranty for my piece of mind. Delivery from most online places are about 160 Euro and 3/4 weeks delivery time! Sure i was planning on spending 2 grand max. Thats all she needs to know!

here is the link to the cable tidy shelf system if anyonelse wants to look it up

http://www.a2000systems.co.uk/plasma-xpc-shelf.htm

if you buy from Currys they have deals with Sky HD etc when you buy an HD TV. (don't know about in Ireland) but i did at same time through Currys with bracket and saved about £500 in total from buying seperately.

here is the link to the cable tidy shelf system if anyonelse wants to look it up

http://www.a2000systems.co.uk/plasma-xpc-shelf.htm

if you buy from Currys they have deals with Sky HD etc when you buy an HD TV. (don't know about in Ireland) but i did at same time through Currys with bracket and saved about £500 in total from buying seperately.

Thats cool alright, if i decide to put it on the wall i can get one of those! There was some Sky HD deal with it but im planning to use a get a sat Dbox2 maybe instead :whistling:

M86 and M87 are exactly the same TV - just one is the "designer" version with the chrome strip at the bottom.......

Definitely the best LCD out there at the moment imo - although I'd still say if you're not going to be using a 1080p source anytime soon (PS3 or bluray/HDDVD), then I'd go plasma, as they're still so much better in terms of real picture quality and price as well

I recently bought a 42 inch Samsung Plasma for my 6 year old son for his birthday.....what a bargain too....has everything....HD (1080), built in freeview, Picture in Picture, loads of inputs (3 x HDMI for starters plus a PC input and component input) and all for £699 !!!

Free next day delivery - 247 electrical (do a search on google as not sure of the url)

ON the LCD vs Plasma debate - theres loads of pros and cons for each - I prefer the plasma from a pure viewing perspective - the colours appear more vivid and the viewing angle is much wider.

LCD's also suffer from "ghosting" on very fast scenes.

Although with plasma's you have to watch for screen burn - although the samsung I just bought has automatic protection (moves pixels after a set time on any still image)

The "Plasmas only last 3-5 years" comment is not true - any plasma manufactured within the last few years will last as long as any LCD

Model is a PS42Q97HD - they also do a 50 (the PS50) although not sure how much more money we are talking about but guess a lot less than your 2K limit.....

Saves you some money for the Lex :)

In terms of plasma life, it's all rubbish now - we have one of the first Pioneer plasma's (cost £6k at the time :sick: ) which we bought in 2002 and is still going strong.

I think the life of a plasma has now exceeded 30,000 hours, which is in the region of 10-15 years for most people - the thing most people ignore is that the backlight in an LCD will only last a similar finite amount of time too. Bearing in mind its repair vs. replacement cost, the LCD would also be effectively dead after the same period of time.

Screen burn is the only issue still remaining for plasmas, but even this has now been fixed up to the level where it's only really a concern if you watch the same channel with the same logo for days on end - otherwise there isn't really an issue.

I did swap over to the LCD camp for a little while, but now that we have several of both, I always find myself preferring to watch the plasmas over the LCDs as the image is so much better.

We recently bought a Pioneer 42" plasma (and the Pioneers are definitely the ones to go for) for £1200 - imo the picture will be better than the LCD despite the resolution difference, and you can buy two for the same price as the LCD you've mentioned above.

No brainer for me, even if I was plugging a PS3 into it - but if you are definitely going to buy an LCD, the Samsung is definitely the one to buy.

Hope that helps a bit :)

In terms of plasma life, it's all rubbish now - we have one of the first Pioneer plasma's (cost £6k at the time :sick: ) which we bought in 2002 and is still going strong.

I think the life of a plasma has now exceeded 30,000 hours, which is in the region of 10-15 years for most people - the thing most people ignore is that the backlight in an LCD will only last a similar finite amount of time too. Bearing in mind its repair vs. replacement cost, the LCD would also be effectively dead after the same period of time.

Screen burn is the only issue still remaining for plasmas, but even this has now been fixed up to the level where it's only really a concern if you watch the same channel with the same logo for days on end - otherwise there isn't really an issue.

I did swap over to the LCD camp for a little while, but now that we have several of both, I always find myself preferring to watch the plasmas over the LCDs as the image is so much better.

We recently bought a Pioneer 42" plasma (and the Pioneers are definitely the ones to go for) for £1200 - imo the picture will be better than the LCD despite the resolution difference, and you can buy two for the same price as the LCD you've mentioned above.

No brainer for me, even if I was plugging a PS3 into it - but if you are definitely going to buy an LCD, the Samsung is definitely the one to buy.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Cheers lads. But the one with the designer chrome trim is actually the ..87BD which is the less expensive one. think ill just get the 40 inch top spec one and then keep the rest towards a new ECU!!

You just bought a 42" for your 6 year old!!!! :ohmy:

I bet he's happy but can i ask why?

Bonus from work.... re-decorated his entire bedroom for his birthday...new bed, 42" plasma on wall, Kiss1600 wireless media player and his playstation - the look on his face when he opened the door was well worth every penny.

Not the usual birthday for him....but recently had our second (another boy) and he had been as good as gold ....no jealousy and helping out loads....so wanted to treat him....