Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strips On The Windscreen

Rikos

The little heater strips on the bottom of the windscreen are to defrost the wiper blade area when its cold/icey/snowing.

Depending on your model year, they are either always on, or come on when you switch the air director dial to windscreen.

Or thats what I remember from a long time ago - correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW - my new Pilkington windscreen also has these that go up the sides a little - will have to wait til winter to see if they work though!

think people may be getting mixed up with " de-frost" and "de-mist" ????

air conditioning is not only for cold air..... but of course the main purpose is to cool the air, but with this process excess water is removed so that is why the AC comes on when you select the air towards the windscreen - as the air coming out of the vents is "dry" when it hits the windscreen the excess moisture on the inside of the screen " the mist" is absorbed by the dry air resulting in a clear screen in a matter of seconds.

As the water is removed in the AC process this explains the puddles of water underneath the car when u have the AC on in sumer.

but the strips on the bottom of the front screen are for defrosting the windscreen wipers

If is recommended to use the AC all year round to keep the system working and to prevent seals from "drying out" just switch it on for 10-20 mins a month and you will be fine.

it will only clear the inside of mist ! for the outside you will prob need to still scrape the screen.

I start the car put AC on, temp to max, air to max, close the door then go around clearing the ice from the screen

I leave the air conn on all the time with dial on auto. When winter and snowy I put dial for blow direction to windscreen - which then puts fans on fully automatically, then go round scraping!!

Do front windscreen last and by the time you have gone round, its loosened up a little and is easier to scrape!

:whistling: I think the strips that youare on about are for de-icing the bottom part of the screen and it has nothing to do with the air-con, you switch it on when you use the rear window demister so when there is frost on the windscreen just stick the rear heater on and the front will defrost thus stopping the wipers from sticking to the screen. Hope this sorts your query out :winky:

I know the strips are nothing to do with the A/C that was a converstaion that got mixed in the middle. We were just saying that to clear your windscreen quicker you should have the A/C on.

We have confirmed that the strips are to stop the windscreen wipers sticking.

Thank you though whiteman