Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Calais October 2007

WylieCoyote

Right. This is the new thread for the 'Channel Hopping' post.

We have a confirmed date of 27th October for the trip to Calais.

The plan is for a bit of shopping, some food, bit more shopping, few drinks, bit more shopping, more food and then piling all the shopping (mainly alcohol) into the boots of the cars to come home.

There was a suggestion to make it an overnight stay, but having looked into it, it more than doubles the cost of the ferry and then adds in the cost of accomodation which makes it quite expensive, therefore I think it's best just to make it a long day trip.

What I propose is a 3 persons per car system, dividing all the costs equally amongst them (petrol and ferry).

At the time of writing, the ferry is £35 per vehicle return which makes it a smidgen under £12 per person based on my system. This is based on an 0900 outbound crossing, returning at 2100 that evening. That should be enough time to bleed the alcohol stores dry, decimate the local economy and pollute the entire of northern France with nasty gas guzzlers LOL!

The ferry has already gone up by £3 in the last week so I suggest we get this finalised within the next week or so. I will be away throughout Sept so it needs to be booked before then.

We need to know final numbers asap so we can book the amount of cars onto the ferry. We also need people to volunteer to use their cars and drive.

Please reply to this post or PM me asap so we can get numbers.

Definite attendees:

1. Me

2. Rikos

Cars:

1. Mine

2. Rikos'

I will be there and i dont mind driving.

If we have 15 or more cars then we can group book on train, i imagine the ferry will have something similar.

You only need 10 people for a group booking :)
The tunnel prices are around £63 - a fair bit more than the ferry.
I would come along .... but I'm already doing a France - bike trip in September ! :whistling:

Ferry's fine for me then.

Have to get up early on the Saturday to make sure we get there on time, Wozza (or Gord as Keith says :whistling: ) it's a shame you cant some at same time as us. Can you not have a night off?

It said 15 on the website! The liars :megaangry:

Well if we can get 10 then we could see what the price is and if it's better than the ferry then we can do that if not then stick with the ferry.

Come on people jot your name down, this should be some good fun and a good way to get to know more members.

I am Self Employed and don't get holiday pay, so my cheap trip to France

works out at £££££ (with Petrol) before I even pay the Ferry/Tunnel if I have

the night off. Then spending on top of that too = very skint Wozza. :o

(saving my pennies for next May) :D

I can do the 9.00am crossing but coming back on the 2pm crossing means

that I can still DJ Sat night . It's a real pain but working till 3am Friday & Sat

nights pays the bills. :crybaby:

I'd attend but my motor is to low to go on the ferry, will have to be the train for me and even then it was a tight fit, have tried ferry and been shamed when I got stuck :blush::blush: :tsktsk:

height on the ferry is according to tide times, depending on wether its a high tide or low tide alters the angle of the on/off ramp

in saying that i have never had a problem with any cars i have taken on it, not even with the trailer !

the second floor of the train is a more acute ramp !

Not sure of the tide Bazz, was late evening but doesn't mean a thing though. I did ground-out getting on the train, Passengers had to get out the car, maybe the car is toooooo low for everyday use

But will see how we get on, may well be 2 of us going, (will sort out tomorrow when back home), car bottoms out with 4 in the car as I found out in Wales last week, damaged the exhaust so car off the road at present

The carriages for cars are double deckers but everytime I use it, I am directed to the ground floor even if everyone else is going on the top. Don't knowhy :unsure: :P :lol: