Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

W.i.m Geomatry!

puresilk

I had all four shocks fitted today by DR BONES and cant speakly highly enough of him!

Not only did he help me out initially in looking for shocks and their prices, His service was brilliant as I posted a PM to him and he got back to me asap last Friday in his own time! He kept me updated on prices of shocks that he was shopping around for and was really helpful!

In the end I managed to pick up a bargain on my front shocks and a decent priced set of rears all KYM OEM!

I went to see him today and got the shocks fitted and was amazed that all four were done in 1 HOUR yes thats 1 HOUR!!!! Must be a record and no probs fitting them either they all went straight one!

Also got my Geomatry done and was amazed at how detailed the DR gets! He was going on about camber this and degrees that I didnt know what he was on about but I just kept agreeing with him LOL !!!

After the Geomatry my car feels alive again No rubbing noise when turning full lock to the right! No Knocks! The car felt so smooth and glided along the road! The handling has improved loads and the car feels stiff and solid again!

Amazing service, Brilliant guy to chat to, and Legendry Geomatry setter! :winky:

I would recommend any one with an IS200 to get the Geomatry done by the DR!

B)

Amazing service, Brilliant guy to chat to, and Legendry Geomatry setter! :winky:

B)

Ditto :winky: just under 1k before my fine tune.

B)

Ditto :winky: just under 1k before my fine tune.

im gonna get mine done asap,probably at end of month.

Thank you for the positive feedback Puresilk, and indeed the comments from other members.

The suspension installation on your car went flawlessly so an hour to fit four dampers is unusual to say the least...

I am happy you are pleased with the results and the calibration...... Just don't forget that all important fine-tune :)

i saw him today :D

along with 2 prospective LOC members (no point just looking, press a few keys and say hello )

thanks to tony and mark the pug has 4 new shoes, and with the experts eye a broken droplink was noticed !!! :o (must have just happened as it was MOT`d 2 weeks ago), so a slight adjustment will be needed once its replaced

cheers tony :D

i saw him today :D

along with 2 prospective LOC members (no point just looking, press a few keys and say hello )

thanks to tony and mark the pug has 4 new shoes, and with the experts eye a broken droplink was noticed !!! :o (must have just happened as it was MOT`d 2 weeks ago), so a slight adjustment will be needed once its replaced

cheers tony :D

Tony gave my Lex a once over today also !!

Decided to get 4 new tyres along with the geometry check and the overall the difference in drive quality is very noticable. I had a smooth drive back to west london from hemel hempstead and was really impressed with the difference.

The best part is the fact that you get a free tune up 2000 miles later - talk about peace of mind !!!

4 new tyres and a geometry check for under £400....bargin or what ?!!

Thanks Tony.

Completely agree...

the car feels very different after getting the Geo checked out.

The worrying thing is how dangerous the car can be with the inner tyre wear problem, i dont think anyone who has already seen Tony, can stress enough the importance of getting it done.

Its not expensive either, the price of a tyre and you get a free tune up. [which i still have yet to sodding book myself in for, 3k miles on].

So if you you're taking your kids to school every morning, or transporting freinds and family, think about thier saftey!

www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk

Recovering the handling is obviously desirable but not normally detectable to the driver when the Geometry calibration is wrong.

For those wondering what this Geometry lark is about let me show you....

These tyres wore down to the inner wire with the "correct" Lexus Geometry settings :ohmy: Reason being Lexus wrote the incorrect positions.

wim re-wrote the calibration positions some years ago and solved the tyre wear problem :D So if this thread does anything please go look at your front inners!!

Exactly right!

Both my Uniroyals and Flakens had inner wear just like the above DR's Pics!

And my mate whos seeing the Dr abt his lexus had exactly the same wear wheere the thread was out and very dangerous!

As my mate complained when he broke the steering wheel used to shake loads but his wheels and tyres were balanced and he had 4 new discs!

He foudn out that his tyres were dead from the inners!

Hi

I think i need to see the Doc! Rikos tells me you can solve my problems - well the car related ones anyway :hehe:

I have shuddering occuring on my IS200 when cruising above 50mph normally, and so far i've changed all four brake discs and pads (the front in April and AGAIN in August), all four tires, had the tracking and wheel balancing checked and still it shudders!!! Now i'm being told by one dealer that i need new calipers, and by an independent that my hub might be warped, and quite frankly i don't know what to believe.

Do you guys open at weekends and if so could i book a slot to check my geometry? I live in Basingstoke so weekdays would be a little difficult, but i will try and make a plan if you can't do a weekend - i just need to get this sorted for my own peace of mind.

thanks

Hi

I think i need to see the Doc! Rikos tells me you can solve my problems - well the car related ones anyway :hehe:

I have shuddering occuring on my IS200 when cruising above 50mph normally, and so far i've changed all four brake discs and pads (the front in April and AGAIN in August), all four tires, had the tracking and wheel balancing checked and still it shudders!!! Now i'm being told by one dealer that i need new calipers, and by an independent that my hub might be warped, and quite frankly i don't know what to believe.

Do you guys open at weekends and if so could i book a slot to check my geometry? I live in Basingstoke so weekdays would be a little difficult, but i will try and make a plan if you can't do a weekend - i just need to get this sorted for my own peace of mind.

thanks

Vibration at such a low speed is unlikely to be Geometry related. It's also a very low speed to be balance related.

The likely criminal is a binding caliper..... Can i ask you to test something? Next time you drive the car can you monitor when the vibration starts? The reason i ask this is cold brakes initially wont be binding... As they warm up the bind and vibration begins... Once this happens stop and feel the temperature of the wheels with the (back) of your hand to test the variance.

Let us know.

Vibration at such a low speed is unlikely to be Geometry related. It's also a very low speed to be balance related.

The likely criminal is a binding caliper..... Can i ask you to test something? Next time you drive the car can you monitor when the vibration starts? The reason i ask this is cold brakes initially wont be binding... As they warm up the bind and vibration begins... Once this happens stop and feel the temperature of the wheels with the (back) of your hand to test the variance.

Let us know.

Thank you for your advice and help :)

well, i tested it this morning on the way to the office. it shuddered almost from the second i pulled away from the house, and then seemd to ease off again after a couple miles, but came back once i was about half way. when i got to work , i felt the discs and there was no discernable difference in temp to me, but they both seemed hot enough to fry an egg on. the wheels themselves were almost cold.

the shuddering always seems worse first thing in the mornings, and then comes and goes throughout the journey, sometimes very bad and other times just noticeable. i have noticed that the brakes are sqeaking under very light braking and if i brake on full steering lock sometimes there is a clunk?? don't know if this is useful information or not but i'm just trying to be thorough...

Let us know.

Thank you for your advice and help :)

well, i tested it this morning on the way to the office. it shuddered almost from the second i pulled away from the house, and then seemd to ease off again after a couple miles, but came back once i was about half way. when i got to work , i felt the discs and there was no discernable difference in temp to me, but they both seemed hot enough to fry an egg on. the wheels themselves were almost cold.

the shuddering always seems worse first thing in the mornings, and then comes and goes throughout the journey, sometimes very bad and other times just noticeable. i have noticed that the brakes are sqeaking under very light braking and if i brake on full steering lock sometimes there is a clunk?? don't know if this is useful information or not but i'm just trying to be thorough...

Subject to a brake inspection i feel your problem is beyond my realm.

Yes at 60 and above I checked today, I also know my geo is totally out. But when i visit WIM i'll have my 19's back for the set up not my horrible 17's I have on currently. Which is the reason i have not visited yet as I imagine the posistions and tracking are differnt, gotta get the 19's refurbed an new tyres first. I'll just drive slow till it's done :D

• 2 weeks later...
Think i need to get booked in to see the Doc, think the car has a bad dose. Steering wheel doesnt look central, dunno if you could fix it when doin the geo?

Whats the prices and location? Im in Merseyside.

:)

A full Geometry calibration will correct the steering position amongst other things.... We are quite a distance though London.

Mr WIM , I'm not super technically minded , could you please explain this to me in laymans terms? Very interesting reading on the WIM site... http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/

In the two cases it can be seen that the bigger the castor angle (either negative or positive) the greater will be the longitudinal offset, and the greater will be the shift of the point of application of the resistance force during steering, therefore, the conclusion can be drawn that the couple “rolling resistance and the kingpin axis extension” is both straightening and self - centring, and directly proportional to the longitudinal offset,

In the most common case, with a positive castor angle, the couple, which creates the steering return, will contrast the steering movement when a steering action is performed by the driver, thus, it could be said that, the bigger the positive castor angle, the greater will be the force exerted on the steering wheel to turn the wheels but, at the same time, there will be an increased conservation of the direction of the vehicle under the effect of perturbation forces against straight line travel,

Just I'm curious as to what caster does for steering feel .