Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

About To Buy 06 250sport With Mm, 43k, Am I Mad

Am I mad to shell out 21K for a 06 IS250 SE with MM and 43,000 miles on the clock from a main dealer? I spent hours reading all the problems you have had with the new IS. I havd had 2 of the IS200 models which never gave problems, so I thought the new one would be at least as reliable. Any advice from IS250/220 owners would be appreciated.

Thx

high milage :ohmy: for an 06 model so for me to buy this it would have to be a really good price,very cheap.

whats the difference in price between this and the same model with average miles :question: :)

If it's Sterling you're talking about, then the trade use simple methods to work out the price of a high mileage car and this generally applies to cars upto 3 years old and still under warranty. Garages use different formulae, but this is an example (sounds complicated, but bare with me):

Take the forecourt value: £23440ish according to Whatcar (which is pretty accurate generally), add Met Paint (£250) and MM (£1000), Total = £24690 for an average miles car. Normally 10000 miles per year!!

Then subtract £100 for each 1000 miles the car has gone over the average upto double the miles it should have been. This figure of £100 is normally used for mid range execs, but is lower for family cars etc (A Mondeo would be £45 for each 1000 miles). Then it's £200 for each 1000 miles over double!! Some small garages use £150 per 1000 miles regardless...

I reckon it should have been at most 15000 miles average for an '06, depending on when in 2006 the car was registered. So this assumes it was regsitered in March 06:

15000 miles @ £100 per 1000 miles = £1500 (takes you to double what the average should have been)

13000 miles @ £200 per 1000 miles = £2600 (Takes you 43000 miles on the clock)

Total = £4100. You take this away from the forecourt value, and you are left with £20590 which is what I reckon what the car is worth tops!!

One big warning though is that the car only has 17000 miles left before the manufacturer warranty is over. So whilst it may have up to 2 years left before it's 3rd birthday, you could find it's no longer covered once you hit that 60000, whenever that may be!!

It's probaly safe to buy this car. It will have almost defintely spent it's life on a motorway for most of the miles covered. Running at between 2500 and 3500 RPM, nice and warm all the time. Few short stops, cold engines start stops etc, and IMHumbleO ought to give you years of trouble free motoring with any luck. That's my experience of very high milers and Lexus do make reliable engines and gearbox's.

Check the usual Lexus foibles around paint, especially at the front bonnet and bumper/valance. There should be more stone chips then is acceptable, unless the dealership has painted it. Check for cracked headlights, fog lights, uneven tyre wear and a saggy drivers seat. It should still be firm and supportive - compare it to a new car in the showroom. The other seats should be new still. Check the gear knob and the leather steering wheel - it may have some wear, and check the rubber inserts on the pedals. Check for the freaking seats and centre console.

£21k seems about right to me - if it looks sound and you don't do too many miles, it could be just the car!! I'd haggle hard - they will have applied this formula or something similar when they bought it - for anything as low as £17k - that what it will have cost them I reckon!!

Not doubting Jamboo's theory, he clearly knows more about this subject than I do, but, I would not spend that money on that car with that mileage. Jamboo reckons it stands them at 17k, now somewhere around that price, or a few bob more sounds a lot better. Do I think you are mad? no, perhaps just a little eccentric if you buy it.

Genrally this will have been driven by one owner, but the key thing is the price. It does depend how long you want to keep that car. If it's a short time, then a big fat NO -you'll lose a lot. If it's over 3-5 years and you don't do too many miles - say 5-8000 per year, then it could be worth it. The dealer will try and sell this - so haggling is mandatory!!

We've had high mileage BMW's, Merc's and even Peugeots - cars that are 2 years old with >80k on them and they have all lasted 3-5 years. One 520i went to 186000 miles 5 years after we bought it - we bought it at 68000/ less than 2 years old. It only needed the usual brakes, exhaust and manifold at 150000 miles - that was it!!

Cars like that should be OK - remember the engine has been running at it's most efficient for a vast majority of those miles.

If you (or anyone reading this thread) is concerned - talk to a mechanic!! May be even get the car inspected.

PS - see parkers guide (teh paper pack versions) - they have a section on their theory for value adustments based on miles, and a table if I remember. Dunno if they still do it, but it's worth a read.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for advice guys. I bought it for the asking price from a dealer who benefitted from handing it over with a half tank of fuel, no discount etc....!

It looks/drives well, except it does not feel like a car that has had its 40k service, and the DVD playback does not work.

(when in neutral with parking brake up).

Is it me, or did the old is200 feel more powerful?

thanks

As long as you're happy and the figures stack up for you then don't worry about it. If you do less miles than the norm then in a couple of years time the miles will average out and I wouldn't worry. Enjoy the car as by all accounts thats the one to go for :)

Remember to post pictures ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links