Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Re-mapping What Does It Mean Please?

dibsLPG

Hi peeps, just a quick query please from a friend of mine? :offtopic::offtopic: :shutit:

A friend of mine (honest :shifty: ) is about to buy a Audi A4 TDI (2005) 130 bhp diesel with GmBH bodykit and all the bells and whistles.. (tried to tell him go for a Lexus is300 – but he was after a Diesel :crybaby: ) The sales man stated that they offer an ECU Re-Map service for additional £600 :tsktsk: :shifty: , which will boost BHP to 170 and increase the Torque.. Sound great: coming from the sales man but need some real advice, so since you guys are the best source of information I said I will ask for him.

His Q’s:

1. Re-Mapping what doe sit mean please?

2. What types of Re-mapping is available if any?

3. Re-mapping it, what effect with is have on MPG?

4. is £600 to expensive?

5. Anybody else who can re-map the car?

6. Insurance issues?

Has usual you help in greatly appreciated? :D

Dibslpg

Hi peeps, just a quick query please from a friend of mine? :offtopic::offtopic: :shutit:

A friend of mine (honest :shifty: ) is about to buy a Audi A4 TDI (2005) 130 bhp diesel with GmBH bodykit and all the bells and whistles.. (tried to tell him go for a Lexus is300 – but he was after a Diesel :crybaby: ) The sales man stated that they offer an ECU Re-Map service for additional £600 :tsktsk: :shifty: , which will boost BHP to 170 and increase the Torque.. Sound great: coming from the sales man but need some real advice, so since you guys are the best source of information I said I will ask for him.

His Q’s:

4. is £600 to expensive?

6. Insurance issues?

Dibslpg

No problem i used to own a ecu re-mapped audi S3

1 . Re-mapping changes the program on your cars ecu (computer) basically changing how much fuel, air and the timing.

Done on naturally aspirated cars. I.E cars with no turbocharger has little effect. Where as cars with turbo chargers whether they be diesel or petrol re-mapping can have HUGE benefits.

Basically the manufacturers in your friends case audi will set the car so the turbo is running low boost so the car will have better fuel economy using less fuel and not overwork the engine.

Re-mapping will run higher boost through the turbo and more fuel to compensate therefore greatly increasing the cars BHP and torque figures.

2. Re-mapping is just changing your e.c.u's settings. I had my Audi S3 done by REVO these are very well respected for audi re-mapping.

3. Unfortunately re-mapping will use more fuel. Being a turbo though if you keep off the boost it will be bearable.

4. Seems V.Expensive. I had mine done by big boys toys in essex. They are REVO dealers and i think i paid about £400 + VAT

5. REVO REVO REVO they done mine and it was ACE :D

6. Being re-mapped, there is no evidence of this. All they do is plug your ECU into a laptop wait 5 mins and away you go. I highly reccomend this but go to www.revo.co.uk they do the most renouned and reliable re-map on the market. The guys at Big Boys Toys if your near are ace. They took my car for a spin with the laptop connected to make sure all was o.k. They will change settings for you at a different date too.

I went back they turned my boost up for free.

Hope this is of help ????

His Q’s:

4. is £600 to expensive?

6. Insurance issues?

Dibslpg

1 . Re-mapping changes the program on your cars ecu (computer) basically changing how much fuel, air and the timing.

Done on naturally aspirated cars. I.E cars with no turbocharger has little effect. Where as cars with turbo chargers whether they be diesel or petrol re-mapping can have HUGE benefits.

Basically the manufacturers in your friends case audi will set the car so the turbo is running low boost so the car will have better fuel economy using less fuel and not overwork the engine.

Re-mapping will run higher boost through the turbo and more fuel to compensate therefore greatly increasing the cars BHP and torque figures.

2. Re-mapping is just changing your e.c.u's settings. I had my Audi S3 done by REVO these are very well respected for audi re-mapping.

3. Unfortunately re-mapping will use more fuel. Being a turbo though if you keep off the boost it will be bearable.

4. Seems V.Expensive. I had mine done by big boys toys in essex. They are REVO dealers and i think i paid about £400 + VAT

6. Being re-mapped, there is no evidence of this. All they do is plug your ECU into a laptop wait 5 mins and away you go. I highly reccomend this but go to www.revo.co.uk they do the most renouned and reliable re-map on the market. The guys at Big Boys Toys if your near are ace. They took my car for a spin with the laptop connected to make sure all was o.k. They will change settings for you at a different date too.

Thanks a lot lexuslee, great advise and appriciated too. Will pass on the info and checking out the Revo site soon.

So best bet is go for it and not to warry aout the fuel since the smile on your face will be enough to forget about the diesel been drained.. :lol:

Cheers..

Dibslpg

His Q’s:

4. is £600 to expensive?

6. Insurance issues?

Dibslpg

Thanks a lot lexuslee, great advise and appriciated too. Will pass on the info and checking out the Revo site soon.

So best bet is go for it and not to warry aout the fuel since the smile on your face will be enough to forget about the diesel been drained.. :lol:

Cheers..

Dibslpg

Correct. My S3 was 225bhp standard and with the REVO brought it up to around 260. I was eating subarus for breakfast. Diesels can expect just as much of a power gain.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links