Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying From Us. Import Duties?

graham8370

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me the possible import duties and taxes I would pay if I purchased a DeWalt Nailer for $210 (£105). I know many of you buy your car parts from the USA, do you always get captured for the duties?

Thanks in advance, Graham.

Depends.

What I suggest is to email/phone the supplying company and see if they would oblige by labelling the product as a gift because you don't have to pay import duty on gifts I don't think. Alternatively, ask them to write something like 'repaired Dewalt power drill value of $20 value' or something on the invoice. If the value is under, I think it's £18 you don't pay import tax. If that fails, then hope that it slips through Customs although they're quite hot on these things from my experience. You could always try ringing the HM customs duty line and they'll tell you what it is you'll need to pay - go to Clicky for more in depth advice.

Also check with UK suppliers because if it's coming from the states you'll need a 110v/230v power transformer which adds to the price. You may get the same/similar thing for not much more in the UK and remember if you have any problems with it it's easier to ship back to the UK.

Keith :)

i assume you know it is different voltage in USA. Also it is 60Hz instead of 50Hz most European ones are dual, but my experience is if it was manuafctured for USA they have never heard of anywhere outside USA and therefore only 50Hz.

On the duties side, duty on most products is 10% + 17.5% vat on top of that or get someone who is holidaying in usa to bring it back, they are allowed up to £145 without duty being due legally.

Thanks for the replies. In fact it is a 18v cordless nailer so no problem with transformers or such. The difference in price makes me think it's worth taking the chance to buy from the US.

Cheers guys, Graham.

Thanks for the replies. In fact it is a 18v cordless nailer so no problem with transformers or such. The difference in price makes me think it's worth taking the chance to buy from the US.

Cheers guys, Graham.

You'll charge that 18V cordless by plugging it in the mains, right? So check the transformer is suited for 230V 50Hz; I've seen some stuff that isn't.

Cheers guys, Graham.

You'll charge that 18V cordless by plugging it in the mains, right? So check the transformer is suited for 230V 50Hz; I've seen some stuff that isn't.

I think some of the DeWalt stuff comes as "tool only", no Battery or charger, so this wouldn't be an issue.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links