Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 - Is It Fwd Or 4wd?

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying an RX300 2001 model.

Is it part-time FWD then 4WD or permanent 4WD?

Are there any issues with the gearbox to look for? I hear this a weak point on the car. Any advice on how to test for a weak gearbox would be appreciated.

In the UK I think they have always been sold as the AWD option - USA is the only other place I have seen them being sold as 4x2 or 4x4 drive train option. Although Ours is the MKII - I'd guess it'd be the same for the MKI.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to clarify.

• 1 month later...

If I may, I would not call the RX a "permanent 4WD".

In a permanent 4WD you have always a good part of the torque on the second axle (for instance, my old Sierra Cossie was permanently 66% RWD AND 33% FWD, while the Delta Integrale was set on a 50-50 traction).

In the RX, during normal cruise, you'll have less than 5% of the torque on the rear axle, making in a FWD to all purposes.

Only in case of loss of traction (i.e.: mud, snow, heavy rain) will the automatic diff transfer more torque to the rear axle.

In this most SUV's differ from traditional heavy-off-road cars, such as Rovers, because in these latter cases the traction is always on the rear axle by default, and the front wheel drive is selected either manually or automatically.

Always thought the RX split torque 50:50 front to back - I know the Toyota Highlander (in which Rx is based) does/did in 2001 and the post 2003 models are 50:50 I am quite happy to be proved wrong though :-)

you know, Rillo, you make me doubt of myself...

I was pretty sure about this, but I'll check out! :winky:

• 2 weeks later...

Normally is 50% variable to 95-5% but...

Any body knows how to lock the central diff while offroading?

The car goes really well off road, but sometimes the trac control is not enough. For example, in sand or climbing dirty surfaces.

The Snow button really works? Or just starts the car in 2nd? I always drive in L while offroading, so I don't know if the snow buttom while driving in L means something.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links