Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Follow Me Home Lights

just wondered if there was a setting anywhere for 'follow me home' lights.

When I get out of the car I would like the headlamps to stay on for a short while. Previous few cars have done this. Lexus just turns of the lights after shutting the drivers door. Wondered if it was an option somewhere.

Thanks

just wondered if there was a setting anywhere for 'follow me home' lights.

When I get out of the car I would like the headlamps to stay on for a short while. Previous few cars have done this. Lexus just turns of the lights after shutting the drivers door. Wondered if it was an option somewhere.

Thanks

That would explain why the lights stayed on for a while on a mercedes C-class i had once as a courtesy car. My lex turns off as soon as you open the drivers door. There is no setting from what I know to have the lights stay on until you get to your door. Maybe take a torch with you for those late nights and early mornings if you have a problem seeing?

Otherwise the electronic guru's might be able to think of a wiring mod that may be a whole lot of hassle...

In my 5 weeks with a C class auto diesel I found it generally competent, if uninspiring, but there were a few things I wished my Lexus had:

1. Unlocking at night switched on dipped beams and front fogs - these acted as follow-me-homes at night.

2. Unlocking the boot made the lid pop right up.

3. You could pull the front face of the headrests forward to reduce the chance of whiplash.

4. The indicator stalk was quite low on the left and could be flicked to give four or five flashes signifying a lane change.

The rest you could keep. I left my pipe and slippers in the boot when I returned it.

In my 5 weeks with a C class auto diesel I found it generally competent, if uninspiring, but there were a few things I wished my Lexus had:

1. Unlocking at night switched on dipped beams and front fogs - these acted as follow-me-homes at night.

3. You could pull the front face of the headrests forward to reduce the chance of whiplash.

4. The indicator stalk was quite low on the left and could be flicked to give four or five flashes signifying a lane change.

The rest you could keep. I left my pipe and slippers in the boot when I returned it.

1. I'm not bothered about that, to be honest. If I regularly parked somewhere that dark, I'd buy a proper security light. I can't believe it does the Battery much good either, especially if you repeatedly go to the car but don't always drive it.

2. That would be useful.

3. You can do that on the Lex. Useless as a safety measure though unless they lock in place - if your head hits them that hard, the rests will just move back anyway before stopping at the point they can no longer move back - so your head is back where it would have been in the first place.

4. Does the stalk lock up/down into place when you want the indicator on properly? I had a similar feature on a Vauxhall once, it was without question the most irritating piece of useless technology ever incorporated into a car. I absolutely *loathed* it. If i want 4 flashes, I'm quite capable of holding it there a few seconds. If I want one or two flashes, that's what I'll get when I briefly press it down. Otherwise, when I come off a small roundabout, it looks like I want the small exit immediately on the left, and an accident occurs when someone pulls out of said turning. It was also virtually impossible to cancel, meaning in traffic, or if slightly flustered on a congested roundabout, you're signalling left, right, left, right for several flashes each time. GRRRRR!!! It was SO annoying! :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

I agree with most points mentioned, except no. 2 if you meant unlocking from inside the car or via the remote. The open bootlid is often higher than your garage ceiling or doorway, so unlocking accidently or thoughtlessly could result in damage to the lid. Also if parked with a high tail wind the result of unlocking the boot could result in the lid smashing into the rear roof and window.

I'm surprised that the programme options on UK cars are very limited when compared to (as example) the US market. I would have thought there'd be little/no cost saving in employing a different control module. I would like the 'self locking' option with 'selective unlocking' as well as key operated memory setting, rather than the current set up in the car. If these cars don't have the 'follow me home feature' then I am disappointed that Lexus have not given thought to these. I am sure the US Lexus have many customiseable options available.

never had an issue with such lights draining a Battery on previous cars.

Its just that when you park in a garage, you open the door, get out, lock the door, you are then plunged into darkness.

If lexus were worried about Battery life then why put those lights in the door mirrors that turn on when you approach.

Just feels like they haven't thought it all through. I would have thought that given all the gizmos in the car, these little things would have been a no brainer.

I agree with most points mentioned, except no. 2 if you meant unlocking from inside the car or via the remote. The open bootlid is often higher than your garage ceiling or doorway, so unlocking accidently or thoughtlessly could result in damage to the lid. Also if parked with a high tail wind the result of unlocking the boot could result in the lid smashing into the rear roof and window.

If your garage ceiling is that low you will need to bend double to get around in it! :)

This is a really old one...

Lexus GB responded back to me about autolocking by saying that it is what Lexus have given, and that's it...but the new LS has many of these features... So does a Pug 207!

Response to my first email:

Thank you for your recent e mail concerning an auto lock facility on the IS series.

We are aware of customer feedback regarding this facility and currently have this option on the LS 460. It is also likely to appear on future models.

However, unfortunately it is not possible to customize the software on the current generation IS series in this way. I regret therefore that we cannot meet your expectations with regard to this particular aspect of your car.

We would however like to thank you for taking the time to contact us, and we do hope this will not detract too much from your enjoyment of your Lexus

Response to my 2nd email:

Thank you for your further e mail.

You are quite correct in that this particular feature is not available across Europe on the current generation IS. As distributor of Lexus cars in the UK, we are given some choices in the specifications that we receive. However this was not one of the features that we were able to request from the manufacturer on this particular model.

Yours sincerely

So there you have it....at times I am really gee'd by Lexs - self parking cars, anti nod off features etc, but the simplest of things can frustrate...

The Vauxhall indicator one takes some getting used to. However, on a BMW, if you have the iDrive, you can set it for Vauxhall type, standard or like the Audi system...where the stalk stays in the left or right turn position, but if you press the stalk half way, you get the 3 blinks to change lane and the stalk comes back...

That lane change feature is very very good - once you've had it you don't half miss it.

On the other hand, all BMW drivers must be complaining about why an SE spec BMW doesn't have 17" whels, or leather which is heated, cooled, and electric!!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a list from Lexus official on line workshop manuals from japan as you can see auto lock is unavailable. I know it is annoying that features like this are not available but I also know from being in the front line of things it is frustrating when car owners blame/get annoyed with the mechanic/sales man that Lexus have not included these features.

post-20575-1189548040.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links