Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Economy

RJF

Hi guys I'm new to this. I've just bought an IS200se on an 04 plate with 23900 on the clock. I have been driving like a miser and keeping within the speed limits, it's a killer but i've got 3 point to date so i'm taking my time.

The problem is, i'm only gettin about 24mpg. Most runs are at least 40miles along and i'm doing about 40 ish. I've read that if I disconnect the Battery and reconnect it will reset the ecu and then the computer will learn my driving style. The last owner lived in the suburbs of swansea and I'm living out in the sticks,so our driving styles will be totally different, but will all this hassle of disconnecting and reconnecting the Battery make a tosh of difference. P.S I always use BP ultra or Shell optimax, none of the cheap crap. Anyone who uses petrol from a supermarket is asking for long term trouble. And yes it does make a difference.

So help me, what should you realy get from an IS200 driven with care and not exceeding the speed limit, honestly. The book says 20ish urban, combined 28.8 extra urban 36.2, so what am I doing wrong.

Help..

Hi guys I'm new to this. I've just bought an IS200se on an 04 plate with 23900 on the clock. I have been driving like a miser and keeping within the speed limits, it's a killer but i've got 3 point to date so i'm taking my time.

The problem is, i'm only gettin about 24mpg. Most runs are at least 40miles along and i'm doing about 40 ish. I've read that if I disconnect the battery and reconnect it will reset the ecu and then the computer will learn my driving style. The last owner lived in the suburbs of swansea and I'm living out in the sticks,so our driving styles will be totally different, but will all this hassle of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery make a tosh of difference. P.S I always use BP ultra or Shell optimax, none of the cheap crap. Anyone who uses petrol from a supermarket is asking for long term trouble. And yes it does make a difference.

So help me, what should you realy get from an IS200 driven with care and not exceeding the speed limit, honestly. The book says 20ish urban, combined 28.8 extra urban 36.2, so what am I doing wrong.

Help..

Whats the problem with Tescos fuel, I have been using it for the past 70k miles, my IS200 is on 130k, she runs as sweet as a nut. Let me know when this cheap fuel should give me trouble? :whistling:

The problem is, i'm only gettin about 24mpg. Most runs are at least 40miles along and i'm doing about 40 ish. I've read that if I disconnect the battery and reconnect it will reset the ecu and then the computer will learn my driving style. The last owner lived in the suburbs of swansea and I'm living out in the sticks,so our driving styles will be totally different, but will all this hassle of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery make a tosh of difference. P.S I always use BP ultra or Shell optimax, none of the cheap crap. Anyone who uses petrol from a supermarket is asking for long term trouble. And yes it does make a difference.

Help..

hi mate welcome to loc, if u disconnect the Battery u will lose all ur radio settings, there is a fuse for the ecu u can take out 4 a few seconds and put back in, that will reset the ecu

Hi there, like most things in life you get what you pay for. You will however probably not notice much difference during normal driving conditions, especially arround town, but things will need changing a little earlier than later. I used to drive 135 miles per day and when i changed to the good stuff i realy did notice an increase in mpg and smoother excelleration. The plugs lasted longer and i never had to replace any expensive parts. If you ever read any articles like honest John in the telegraph and others, they all recommend using the high octane expensive fuels, especially in a new high performance engines where tuning is so critical for maximum performance and economy. So you pays your money and you takes your chance.

It's not the most economical of cars but I am just back from a long trip over the weekend and averaged 32-35mpg. Seems a bit better than normal but just had a service where the air filter was replaced so that could explain it. I used Tesco normal unleaded during that trip.

Hi there, like most things in life you get what you pay for. You will however probably not notice much difference during normal driving conditions, especially arround town, but things will need changing a little earlier than later. I used to drive 135 miles per day and when i changed to the good stuff i realy did notice an increase in mpg and smoother excelleration. The plugs lasted longer and i never had to replace any expensive parts. If you ever read any articles like honest John in the telegraph and others, they all recommend using the high octane expensive fuels, especially in a new high performance engines where tuning is so critical for maximum performance and economy. So you pays your money and you takes your chance.

I wouldnt say my IS engine(althought a Sport model) is a high performance engine where tuning is critical. I got 400 miles + from a tank using Tesco's fuel and never had an engine problem. My plugs last the 60k stated in the service manual aswell.

I wouldnt say my IS engine(althought a Sport model) is a high performance engine where tuning is critical. I got 400 miles + from a tank using Tesco's fuel and never had an engine problem. My plugs last the 60k stated in the service manual aswell.

humm i thought they were to be changed at 100k?

mine are still the orginals, i think.

i wonder, that might explain why once every 100 or so starts, it shudders like its missfiring.

ill get it checked out.

The info to reset ECU

"Make sure the ignition is turned off

Remove the engine bay fuse box cover

Remove the 20Amp/25Amp EFI fuse

Remove the 15Amp ETCS fuse

Wait 30 seconds

Re-insert the two fuses

Install the fuse box cover"

et voila !!

btw I get about 22-24 round town, 40 mpg on a mtorway if I keep

to 70 or below (which of course I always do)

i wonder, that might explain why once every 100 or so starts, it shudders like its missfiring.

ill get it checked out.

ill get it checked out.

The long life plugs last 60k, the performance plugs 30k. But i think in the US they state a 100k life span

i take my is200 out in the country side all the time have found on a long main road

its great for fuel but all the stopping and starting raggs the life out of your tank

if i really want to save fuel i drive like a old geezer trying to change to higher gears asap

but its so hard to do that in a car that feels so good to drive like a crazy donkey

i got one of these i think it helped a little http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUEL-SAVER-FOR-LEXUS...1QQcmdZViewItem

try cleaning your air filter or buying a k&n one thats ment to improve fuel consumption

oh and if you really want to treat your lex get some v power its great makes the car feel so fast my shell gargage sells it for 98p a litre

• 2 weeks later...
i take my is200 out in the country side all the time have found on a long main road

its great for fuel but all the stopping and starting raggs the life out of your tank

if i really want to save fuel i drive like a old geezer trying to change to higher gears asap

but its so hard to do that in a car that feels so good to drive like a crazy donkey

i got one of these i think it helped a little http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUEL-SAVER-FOR-LEXUS...1QQcmdZViewItem

try cleaning your air filter or buying a k&n one thats ment to improve fuel consumption

oh and if you really want to treat your lex get some v power its great makes the car feel so fast my shell gargage sells it for 98p a litre

Hi

i have a lexus is200 sport but i seem to get no more than 300 ish to a tank definatly not as much as some of you guys it had the 60k service in march and it seemed a little quicker to me but still no better on fuel economy ok so it does get some stick on open roads but nothing above 70 :whistling: honestly officer

any ideas guys as im stumped on my economy

cheers

my mpg is reducing as my ownership time of the IS200 increases :shifty:

I got 400 to a tank in the early days

350 now :whistling:

reason is that im not worrying about mpg now , just enjoying the driving experience

i got around 300 out of my old 1, and this 1's about the same, im not 1 for driving like an old geezer though, unless its too work.

Biggest problem i find is the lexus runs away with itself, so smooth and quiet, i was playing aruond with the sat nav thinking i was doing around 70 - 80 on a empty quiert road looked at speedo and was saying 110... i didn't even notice

I just filled up mine 90% of my driving is stop start to and from work (about 5 mile away) and about half a mile of ragged dual carriageway.

I got over 23 mpg which I think is fab using sainsburys super unleaded

My lexus has 53,000 (ish) on the clock and to the last full tank I had, I got 350 miles. That was driving around town and a bit of motorway driving.

I have used a full tank on the motorway and I got 400+ miles staying between 70-80.

End of the day its not a small engine so small MPG is expected. I was warned about the lexus being thirsty and they are indeed :lol:

the strange thing is that I hammered it up to Gatwick and back big time on the motorway last month 80-90 plus (no tickets yet :winky: and got approaching 400 to the tank

clearly the beast is happy mooching at 80 + in 6th, at speeds that would rattle most engines to the bones

sadly this doesnt reflect everyday driving