Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Do I Tell.........

I'd appreciate the advice please of the many well clued up members of this forum if possible......

Taking delivery on the 6th Sept of my long awaited 220D SE (should have been October so well chuffed :D ), need some advice on how I can tell if following have been applied to the new car other than taking the salesmans word on them:-

• ECU Remap
  • 5th Injector Change
  • Rattle Fixes

Any pointers appreciated - thanks!

Is it a new car?

If you are concerned I'd get it in writing from the salesman, with an option to reject with full refund if any are proved wrong in the first 6 months. See how he / she reacts to the request ;)

What a way for me to start !!

Is it a new car?

If you are concerned I'd get it in writing from the salesman, with an option to reject with full refund if any are proved wrong in the first 6 months. See how he / she reacts to the request ;)

What a way for me to start !!

Yes, sorry, should have mentioned, it is a brand new 57 plate model, coming from Lexus Bristol who appear to be quite sound to be honest!

This Lexus Bristol? :unsure:

You could always take it to another dealer and ask for them to check it over and do the warranty work if not done. Lexus Swindon know all about the ECU update as I just took mine there and they said it already had the update applied. Lexus Bracknell didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about the ECU update so I'm guessing that mine was either done when new (reg July 2006) or by Lexus Guildford in its first 3 months before I bought it.

This Lexus Bristol? :unsure:

You could always take it to another dealer and ask for them to check it over and do the warranty work if not done. Lexus Swindon know all about the ECU update as I just took mine there and they said it already had the update applied. Lexus Bracknell didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about the ECU update so I'm guessing that mine was either done when new (reg July 2006) or by Lexus Guildford in its first 3 months before I bought it.

I've never had anything but good honest service from them, and I'm disappointed they haven't had a chance to defend themselves against the allegations made in this forum. The IS250/220D guys who have had their geometry corrected by WIM have benefited from Lexus Bristol who provided the OEM geometry settings that we modelled the recovery settings from...that didn't have to supply the info.

They also acknowledge the LOC Gold Card and have a rating in the Gold forum along with the other dealerships. Any allegations against a dealer whether unfounded or not should IMO before discussed there and not in this public forum.

Don't think there any specific allegations in this post against Lexus Br****l. Only a reference to another thread. GJD asked for some pointers and that's what he has been given here. His first post didn't mention where the car was coming from.

I had an IS200 a few years back, not supplied by Bristol but serviced it there throughout ownership, never had a single problem with them to be honest so the student incident may have been a one off, everyone has a bad day in the office, I know I do regularly!

Anyway, back to my original post, is it just a case of asking then re the updates? I assume there is no easy way of checking myself?

Thanks

Back to topic...bet ya carnot wait!!

the ECU mods will be up to date. I am absolutely sure of this. The very latest one which was as a pack - incouding new EGR valve/5th Injector, pipes etc etc - was not officially GA (Generally Available), so that may have not been applied, but it was intended to be used as a final fix (BETA type) for cars not improving on low 30's MPG after all official mods. That's my understanding.

The rattles will be there, or they won't. They'll come and go like the proverbial and I reckon will start within 4 weeks if they are to plague you.... There are loads of cars that do and loads that don't. None of the courtesy cars I have had were rattle free - some worse than others...

As suggetsed I asked for Lexus to fix my car with necessary remedies on the production line. In fact my car was delivered with 15 miles on the clock - which I assumed was to make 100% sure that there were no rattles. The car started to rattle after 3 weeks and largely has never stopped.

I only paid my deposit thinking it would be fine, as assured, but it wasn't...and I couldn't rejet the car!! Even legal advice was not to bother....

It's all to do with temperature from my experience for the more problematic ones, though the vents on the dash both sides can rattle. Apparently the clips can break as they did on both of mine...and the drivers ones is rattling again. The satnav surround (if you have MM) can creak insecently in very hot weather...really loudly...and the car is on the 2nd satnav surround...as can the centre console by your left knee.

Whilst it all sounds doomy and gloomy, the dealer is trying very hard, and for that I am grateful. Had it been anything else - any other make of car - I would have lost the will...

Fuel economy - if you're used to a diesel already, then be prepared to be slightly disappointed. Wait until 5000 and then 100000 miles, and things should get much better...

Forget 6th gear until 5000 miles...even the owners handbook states it should be used at speeds over 75mph...

Thanks for the excellent reply Jamboo, fully taken on board

And no, I cannot wait, was even down at the dealers last night drooling over the car, even though not fully prepped yet, looks stunning in the Messa Red & Black interior

Roll on next Thursday..........

Cheers

Don't think there any specific allegations in this post against Lexus Br****l. Only a reference to another thread. GJD asked for some pointers and that's what he has been given here. His first post didn't mention where the car was coming from.

No, you had to read his second post :yawn:

Yes, sorry, should have mentioned, it is a brand new 57 plate model, coming from Lexus Bristol who appear to be quite sound to be honest!

Well, had a response from Lexus Bristol to the question.

In short, ECU has had the new flash update when car arrived at dealership and 5th injector is latest off production line

Plus, even better news, now getting car a day earlier than expected next week.

CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!

:driving: :D

Thanks for all the replies - very much appreciated!

Well done buddy - just remember one other thing - The garage will have polished it thoroughly, and this is the ieal time to give it some good detail. If you can, give it dollops of sealant glaze and pure wax...it'll stay clean and shiny for much longer...and done right it will be as good as (if not better than) a supgard treatment...

Well done buddy - just remember one other thing - The garage will have polished it thoroughly, and this is the ieal time to give it some good detail. If you can, give it dollops of sealant glaze and pure wax...it'll stay clean and shiny for much longer...and done right it will be as good as (if not better than) a supgard treatment...

Cheers for advice Jamboo - have you got any suggestions where I could get the glaze and wax?

Thanks

I've never had anything but good honest service from them, and I'm disappointed they haven't had a chance to defend themselves

they have had every chance.....Register, and reply, simple as that

Lexus Bristol read the post and were none too happy about it. As always there are two sides to every story but they thought it pointless in replying in the public forum. Probably agree with them there after looking at the various TDI/Prolex/Gord posts.... :whistling:

I use a UK Company - www.carsparkle.co.uk - the service is excellent and you will get some discount by stating LOC - give them a call for the discount code.

The stuff I have used is the carlack68 (AKA KLASSE in the 'states) - all you are likely to need is the Acrylic Long Life wax and the P21s carnauba wax.

See here: My Thread from eons ago

Just remember to use the Long Life sealant sparingly, and oooh yes - get them Microfibres...it makes buffing so easy!!

PS - I only ever applied the long life wax once (a few coats) and I regularly top the car off with P21s....it still beads water very well and looks absolutely deep and immaculate!!

I use a UK Company - www.carsparkle.co.uk - the service is excellent and you will get some discount by stating LOC - give them a call for the discount code.

The stuff I have used is the carlack68 (AKA KLASSE in the 'states) - all you are likely to need is the Acrylic Long Life wax and the P21s carnauba wax.

See here: My Thread from eons ago

Just remember to use the Long Life sealant sparingly, and oooh yes - get them Microfibres...it makes buffing so easy!!

PS - I only ever applied the long life wax once (a few coats) and I regularly top the car off with P21s....it still beads water very well and looks absolutely deep and immaculate!!

Yet again, cheers Jamboo, you sure are a top man!

Off surfing now

Cheers

Hi and welcome

Jamboo is correct on the products as i use the very same stuff and it is amazing the shine that you get. Put the wax on about a week after the second coat of carlack to give it time to bond to the paint. Also NEVER EVER use a sponge use a Lambswool mitt for washing and you should see a lot less swirl marks etc on your paintwork, as it tends to scratch very easily. Also use a conditioning shampoo for washing, i use the P21 stuff it works well, but there are others. PS try and stay away from high street products as they do not work anyware near as well as the products mentioned and can strip away all your hard work. Also if you have leather try searching the net for Gliptone leather care products they also are amazing. Oh yes and good luck...

Carlack/Klasse is totally non abrasive - even the AIO (All In One) - the cleaner/polish is chemical based, so it won't cut your paint. That is what I believe you want on a car less than 3 years old, depending on the oxidation of course...

As Neo says, just be careful of the high street stuff. I only ever used Turtle wax before, and it was OK, but it was chalky - that was the abrasive bit!

The Maguires stuff may be good as might the Autoglym stuff, but as long as you don't use anything abrasive, you'll be fine. You only need something abrasive to remove swirls and tarnish...else it'll take off any polish/wax from before...and make sure that if you use a Chamois, it's clean and new. They can hold a lot of cack which will swirl and scratch the paint work. Avoid the auto carwashes too...and any lambswool or oter mitt should be clean. They too can hold lots of cack...

For drying, get a silicon blade and use new/clean MF cloths to dry it...

Good luck!!

Ps - as you can see, you can get anoraky about this - but the advice is simple...it's costing you £000's so look after it!!

Carlack/Klasse is totally non abrasive - even the AIO (All In One) - the cleaner/polish is chemical based, so it won't cut your paint. That is what I believe you want on a car less than 3 years old, depending on the oxidation of course...

As Neo says, just be careful of the high street stuff. I only ever used Turtle wax before, and it was OK, but it was chalky - that was the abrasive bit!

The Maguires stuff may be good as might the Autoglym stuff, but as long as you don't use anything abrasive, you'll be fine. You only need something abrasive to remove swirls and tarnish...else it'll take off any polish/wax from before...and make sure that if you use a Chamois, it's clean and new. They can hold a lot of cack which will swirl and scratch the paint work. Avoid the auto carwashes too...and any lambswool or oter mitt should be clean. They too can hold lots of cack...

For drying, get a silicon blade and use new/clean MF cloths to dry it...

Good luck!!

Ps - as you can see, you can get anoraky about this - but the advice is simple...it's costing you £000's so look after it!!

Anoraky??? Definitely not, just sound and well received advice.

Already placed my order for the cleaning stuff

Many thanks again

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links