Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chugged Along To Look At A Merc. C220 Cdi Auto

Last 2 cars have been manual diesels, fancy an auto this time because I'm getting lazy. What I liked about them as opposed to the petrol eqivalents was the ability to chugg along in 3rd at low speed and then put yer foot down, something you can't do with a petrol car. If the IS had come with an auto diesel it would have been my original preference but after reading everyone's comments I would have been swiftly converted to the petrol version. With an auto, fuel type doesn't matter when you're a chugger.

Heard good reports on the C220 CDI Auto so spent an hour online digesting and configuring, then went along to local dealer. Looked at one in Elegance trim which comes either with Artico or as an option, leather upholstery. The salesman told me the one we were looking at was in Artico leather saying you can have proper leather or Artco leather. Asking what the difference was and getting fobbed off with "it's a different type of leather" I asked it had come off an animal or was it synthetic, he replied "it's probably synthetic leather". Didn't really get much further. I climbed all over it, sat front and back, layed in the boot, It's a nice car but nothing stirred, certainly not as attractive looking as an IS. Going to another Merc dealer tomorrow hoping I can find someone with a bit more knowledge.

Wife says it must be me and perhaps I need a makeover, they see me drive onto the forecourt and think "this guy looks a right dipstick" and send out the teaboy.

Nothing wrong with modern day auto boxes! I think if you actually drive the Merc you will find it quite bland. I know people say the Lexus are 'soulless cars' the Merc should definitely prove the point. A car that is blandblandbland and perhaps sets a new level of blandness. At least the Lexus causes a stir with its styling - if you really fancy something 'fun' go for a 330d and have an absolute hoot! :)

Interesting topic. I tested the C220CDi Elegance, and thought it actually drove very well indeed. It was roomier, bigger in the boot, and did have some road noise - in fact almost new IS style!!

The Auto box was spot on an the newer generation 2.2CDi was much smoother than those of old.

The Artico is plaggy stuff - no leather there at all, though it's pretty good I wonder how it will "age". It can't breath or flex as well as leather, so what looks great now could be wrinkly and old in a couple of years!!

Even the Twin felt all artificial - they tried to make it sound like part leather facings/trim but I didn't think it was. It felt aweful...

Anyway, whilst it is (like all german cars) bland and staid, it does drive well. Of all of the auto diesels out there in this class it has to be the best one. All in all I'd have one - MB claim it is the most tested and thoroughly built Merc ever. It does show - it feels solid!! Now the dealers need to improve - and oh yes - product knowledge is poor across all german cars' salesmen and women from my experience. You can speed read a brocure and you'll know more about the car than the salesmen...who will constantly read things out from the same brochure as if eithert trying to prove a point or patronise...

PS - the 330d is amazing - but personally I'd have the 335d... :yahoo:

Interesting topic. I tested the C220CDi Elegance, and thought it actually drove very well indeed. It was roomier, bigger in the boot, and did have some road noise - in fact almost new IS style!!

The Auto box was spot on an the newer generation 2.2CDi was much smoother than those of old.

The Artico is plaggy stuff - no leather there at all, though it's pretty good I wonder how it will "age". It can't breath or flex as well as leather, so what looks great now could be wrinkly and old in a couple of years!!

Even the Twin felt all artificial - they tried to make it sound like part leather facings/trim but I didn't think it was. It felt aweful...

Anyway, whilst it is (like all german cars) bland and staid, it does drive well. Of all of the auto diesels out there in this class it has to be the best one. All in all I'd have one - MB claim it is the most tested and thoroughly built Merc ever. It does show - it feels solid!! Now the dealers need to improve - and oh yes - product knowledge is poor across all german cars' salesmen and women from my experience. You can speed read a brocure and you'll know more about the car than the salesmen...who will constantly read things out from the same brochure as if eithert trying to prove a point or patronise...

PS - the 330d is amazing - but personally I'd have the 335d... :yahoo:

Jamboo, I've only been on the forum for a month but in that time have come to realise that you tell it how it is. A lot of people have blinkers on when it comes to praising any marque other than theirs, so thanks.

I called at another Merc dealership today, went up to the receptionist and asked if it was okay to look around, fine she said, if I needed to speak to a sales person to let her know, was there for 30 mins and nobody bothered me. Looked at a Sport model, ok but not my cup of tea. saw an Elegance, silver with burr walnut and black leather, looked the part. Pricewise it's not miles away from an IS250 SEL but equipmentwise it certainly is. Yes, they are a bit bland, saw an IS on the way home, the clean lines and front end styling makes the Merc look ugly, somehow too fussy, but I'm warming to them. I'll have a drive sometime. The slow process of decision making continues.

One area where Lexus are miles infront of either Merc. BMW or Audi is the quality of the sales staff they employ, seen three Lexus dealers now and their patter and product knowlege has been superb.

Is it something in the air with Mercedes dealers I experienced the exact same situation with the New Merc showroom in Edinburgh....

Not exactly the correct thing to do with a Lexus garage across the road.... but then had a similar issue with Lexus Edin a few weeks later so bought the car from Lexus Glasgow...

I called at another Merc dealership today, went up to the receptionist and asked if it was okay to look around, fine she said, if I needed to speak to a sales person to let her know, was there for 30 mins and nobody bothered me.

Well, you didn't like it, but I do like it this way... buying a car is not daily procedure, so I always try to get informations before I enter the shop and do the test drive. On the internet you get nowadays so many informations, that - sorry salespeople - usually I know about the car more than the sales person.

And I really don't need to be persuaded by someone in the showroom, I have my own criteria.

I called at another Merc dealership today, went up to the receptionist and asked if it was okay to look around, fine she said, if I needed to speak to a sales person to let her know, was there for 30 mins and nobody bothered me.

Well, you didn't like it, but I do like it this way... buying a car is not daily procedure, so I always try to get informations before I enter the shop and do the test drive. On the internet you get nowadays so many informations, that - sorry salespeople - usually I know about the car more than the sales person.

And I really don't need to be persuaded by someone in the showroom, I have my own criteria.

Matus - you're spot on. Lexus are better, much better at this. However, across the whole industry product knowledge within the sales staff is the biggest problem and I don't think I've yet bought a car where the salesmen actually knew something worth knowing... Sorry sales people....the minute they pick up a brochure and read something out to you, I feel like leaving!!

Normally sales people will not take one look at you unless you and the wife/partner go in together 'cos you're more likely to be able to do a deal if the combined "home minister and treasurer" is with you...they don't want to spend what little knowledge they have on you if they don't think you'll buy. Remember, it's the commission/target that motivates them...so unless that individual is well short of targets/commission, you'll fight to get anything serious out of them...that's my experience.

Try it - go in on your own...see how you're treated. They'll be quick to offer you a brochure...Take the wifey in and they'll be quick to offer you a test drive...

I like to go in loking my usual semi-strange (Tendency to 'Hawaiian' shirts etc) self. Then after getting cr** from sniffy salesperson, ask if paying cash would be O.K.!! Then leave....(oh, and I COULD pay cash!)

I try and treat people as people in MY business, but it's fun popping peoples 'fronts' sometimes!

Matus - you're spot on. Lexus are better, much better at this. However, across the whole industry product knowledge within the sales staff is the biggest problem and I don't think I've yet bought a car where the salesmen actually knew something worth knowing... Sorry sales people....the minute they pick up a brochure and read something out to you, I feel like leaving!!

Normally sales people will not take one look at you unless you and the wife/partner go in together 'cos you're more likely to be able to do a deal if the combined "home minister and treasurer" is with you...they don't want to spend what little knowledge they have on you if they don't think you'll buy. Remember, it's the commission/target that motivates them...so unless that individual is well short of targets/commission, you'll fight to get anything serious out of them...that's my experience.

Try it - go in on your own...see how you're treated. They'll be quick to offer you a brochure...Take the wifey in and they'll be quick to offer you a test drive...

Hi Jambo,

interesting thoughts on dealerships - must have a odd ball in Bath (BMW) went intothe showroom in workshop gear - had a chat with sales guy - talked through what I might want and spec - gave me a price and delivery - chucked me a set of keys and signed for a 320 D M sport and asked did i want it for a hour - all day or more .told me to make a journey that i do on a regular basis (unaccompanied test drive )and see how it feels !!! wow even lexus do not allow this unless you blag a test drive when your Lexus is in for service /repair .The compertition is catching Lexus up in the sales department - cant comment on after sales - will know next week when I get the beama .

cheers

swager

chucked me a set of keys and signed for a 320 D M sport and asked did i want it for a hour - all day or more .told me to make a journey that i do on a regular basis (unaccompanied test drive )and see how it feels !!! wow even lexus do not allow this unless you blag a test drive when your Lexus is in for

c'mon man, this is not a special care, this is a must...

Ofcourse, lexus will lend you a car as you wish. I borrowed 220d twice before I bought it, and the first test drive was set up by e-mails (same as with beemer) - they haven't seen me before.

PS: maybe it's my charm :D

its company policy at Lexus Bristol - and they know me very well - must be down to individual dealerships - maybe they have lost a few - will try my charm this weekend and if they have female sales it should be no problem then !!!!!!

cheers

swager

They must be desperate to sell them...remember - it's a beamer! Just look on Drive the deal and see what discounts are on offer - normallty means that the manufacturer wants and needs to sell more....

No more desperate then most manufactures /dealers- its my company car and on contract hire so Drive the Deal is not in question- asked lexus for a quote 3 weeks later - asked BMW for quote 2 days later with follow up call .IS 250 sel auto £560 per month - BMW 320 d sport auto - so if we are talking about service and customer care at this moment in time BMW are in front - agree that Merc are the pits ,you can walk into a showroom and you could be the man in the moon as far as their sales guys go - now porsche are in a diffrent league

cheers

swager

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links