Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I need a couple of new tyres for my '98 GS. Like Ol' Man River, it just keeps rolling along providing I put new tyres on occasionally.

Always used Michelin with no problems but local supplier Costco insist on putting the new ones on the rear which is not where I want them. I'm thinking of buying over the internet and getting them fitted locally.

Any views on Bridgestone, Yokahama, Firestone or Avon, any of which I would fancy?

I need a couple of new tyres for my '98 GS. Like Ol' Man River, it just keeps rolling along providing I put new tyres on occasionally.

Always used Michelin with no problems but local supplier Costco insist on putting the new ones on the rear which is not where I want them. I'm thinking of buying over the internet and getting them fitted locally.

Any views on Bridgestone, Yokahama, Firestone or Avon, any of which I would fancy?

Unless you have different size wheels front and rear, then let them put them where they want and move them over yourself. It'll only take 20 minutes... That said, generally new tyres would be best on the rear unless the rears are quite good and the fronts absolutely bald! Try and keep brands and type the same on each axle though.

Bridgestone RE030 are the OE tyres for the Mk II (at least on my car they were, i have the first service sheet which says so!), and I have a set currently on mine. They are OK, they grip well but the fronts seem to be wearing on the edges (they may have been run at low pressure, I think). They are susceptible to tramlining though. When new boots are required all round, I will go for Continental SportContact 2 as these have a good reputation and are allegedly quiet, unlike the Bridgestones!

I bought a pair of Michelin Piolot Sports from Costco a few months ago for my GS300. I didn't have them fitted there though. I didn't like the look of the people who fitted the tyres so I used a company called Protyre in Enfield. I would recomend to stick with the Michelin tyres as I found them alot quieter than the Bridgestone Potenza's that I have on the back. Take the tyres to a tyre fitter you trust then you can have them put on where you want.

On the rear is where you should always put new tyres, If a car is going to slide becuse you need to do a quick change of direction the rear will want to slide out, not the front. That is why you always want the rear to have the best possible traction. That is why cars are designed to understeer, becuse it is much easier to stop a car understeering than it is to catch the back end slidding.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone said, I think the bridgestone's were standard fit on the GS300 MkII, but were these the only type? The IS200 was either Dunlop Sport 9000 or Bridgestone.

Just wondered if GS300 was also 2 manufacturers? Also, the IS200 has special lexus versions of the 9000. Does this also apply to the GS300, or can they use the normal ones?

My dad needs 2 new ones for his GS, currently has bridgestone potenza RE030 but apparently they are not made any more! He pootles about and does low milage, so wants a tyre that will last and grips OK but doesn;t have to be a performance tyre. Doesn't want el cheapo makes though.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can still get the Bridgestones if you want them... Linky

I've used the company before, in fact I even have a positive remark posted up on their 'customer comments' section!

Not sure if any other tyres were fitted OEM to the MkII - it's possible, but I don't know what they were.

Cheers, I had then found a couple of places that still have some but they are not as cheap as alternatives which are generally about £90. But, if my dad wants the same, he can pay a little more for them.

Just wondered about the Dunlops too as I have them and like them. Dunlop Sport Maxx are supposed to be good too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just got a pair of NEUTON TYRES- 235 45 17 ZR 94W off eBay at £120 delivered. An extra £55 to have them fitted and balanced and 4 wheel laser tracking at formula one auto centres. I am extremely pleased with my tyres they are very smooth and quiet, another good feature is a built up area on the tyre that protects the alloys from kerb damage.

cheers

probsat

• 1 year later...
Hi Guys

Just got a pair of NEUTON TYRES- 235 45 17 ZR 94W off ebay at £120 delivered. An extra £55 to have them fitted and balanced and 4 wheel laser tracking at formula one auto centres. I am extremely pleased with my tyres they are very smooth and quiet, another good feature is a built up area on the tyre that protects the alloys from kerb damage.

cheers

probsat

Hi probsat,

How did the Neutons wear? I'm looking for some new tyres to fit some on my Aristo which eats even the expensive ones very quickly. Wondered if these were worth a punt. I've seen the extra load ones advertised.