Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Cutting - Main Dealer Only?

I only have one key for my car. I assumed it would be a main dealer part, but just on a whim with a few minutes to spare I called into Timpsons in Solihull today and asked about getting one cut. Guy looks at it and says "Lexus, right?" They're a bright lot in Solihull... :-) Anyhow, he said it would be a special order part, £10 each or £15 for two.

I don't live in Solihull so a special order part is no good. Guy said no problem, any Timpsons will do it. I went to my local Timpsons on the way home and was told this was "utter crap, dealer part only".

Anyone happen to know who's telling the truth here?

Thanks in advance.

When I got my GS I only got one key and the valet key . I found a lock smith on Canvey Island who cut me a blank to go with the valet key and programmed another key from my original for £50. Now I have 3 sets of keys. A lot of lock smiths can now read the key programme and reprogramme a new key. I think Southend lexus wanted about £200 for the key and to programme it.

How can you tell if you have the master key? I have two keys, but no idea if either or both are master keys, I don't have the little tag with the number on if I lose them both. I wouldn't mind getting another 1 or 2 done so I have spares in Derby and Surrey.

How can you tell if you have the master key? I have two keys, but no idea if either or both are master keys, I don't have the little tag with the number on if I lose them both. I wouldn't mind getting another 1 or 2 done so I have spares in Derby and Surrey.

The sub key has no boot opening button on it .. a master key does

Both my keys unlock boot with button or key.This is even with internal remote unlock pushed in, so I assume I dont have a valet key.

I origionally ordered an alarm fob for the 96 mk1 , booked it in for it setting up and .....

ive no idea what ive got , ive just got a black key with lexus logo on it , no alarm on it at all,. according to dealers, he said its the valet key and it wont open the glove box, but it does . much to his suprise , in my case he said for me to get a new ley cut , id have to have the entire alarm system re done, new transponders in aswell ,as he cant match keys to the transponders in the car. i think he said it was going to cost about 700 quid for 2 keys doing, i just laughed and said nope :)

i wasnt happy

Both my keys unlock boot with button or key.This is even with internal remote unlock pushed in, so I assume I dont have a valet key.

hmmm, there must be different systems on different cars? I have two keys, both black, neither with any buttons on, just Lexus logos like Ryo mentions. Both keys unlock everything, doors, boot, glovebox and boot release lock button. I then have two remote fobs with two buttons on, button 1 does lock (press again straight after and it turns off the interior detector), button 2 unlocks. No unlocking boot with key buttons. Seems odd that they seem to have different systems on the go, or are they interchangeable? i.e. can I get keys with buttons on for mine?

• 2 months later...