Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Black Number Plates

Giblet

I see lots of cars lately with the black background number plates and silver lettering. I always thought that anything apart from the yellow back and whilte front was illegal. In fact any lettering including the name of the garage on the plate was strictly speaking illegal. However lately there seems to be so many cars on the road with the black plates that it got me wondering if there had been a change or are there just more cars flouting the laws these days?

I've seen a few Aston Martin's with them; do the come like that from the factory then or is it just the owners flouting the law again?

was it made before 1973 or 1990 if its from I.O.M? if not THEN IT IS NOT ALLOWED - but then again we all do things that are not allowed.... :whistling:

Wikipedia:

Colour and dimensions (United Kingdom)

Black number plates with white or silver characters are permitted on vehicles manufactured before 1973.Current plates have black characters on reflective white PVC (for the front plate) or on reflective yellow PVC (for the rear plate). These are the colours used in the common EU plate format (though not all other EU states use the two background colours in this same way).

Older plates had white, grey or silver characters on a black background. This style of plate was phased out in 1972, and is now legal to be carried only on vehicles built prior to 1 January 1973.

Front number plates are 520 mm x 111 mm (20.5" x 4 3/8") in size. Rear plates may be 520 mm x 111 mm (Standard), 285 mm x 203 mm (Square),[citation needed] 533 mm x 152 mm (large).

Motorcycles formerly had a double-sided number plate on top of the front mudguard, curved to follow the contour of the wheel and visible from the sides. The requirement for the front number plate was dropped in 1975 because of the severe danger these presented to pedestrians in the event of a collision.

So even if you have a cherished plate, "LEX 220D" from 1966 on a Lexus, in Silver on black - it could be deemed to be illegal as the car itself was made after 1973...that's how I read it!!