Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help

mathers

Hi guys.

I purchased Meccatune bulbs off of the Prolex website. Within 2 weeks one bulb (the drivers side) exploded. This in turn smoked the inside of the headlight unit and has left thousands of pieces of burnt blue glass inside which has melted into the reflective area. I called Prolex and they nicely sent me out replacement bulbs. I fitted these bulbs and after 4 hours the passenger side one exploded. This has caused the exact same thing to happen to my other light.

£10 bulbs has left my with damaged headlight units. Prolex is refusing to supply new headlight units. This annoys me.

Why should i be left a couple of hundred quid out of pocket for a very poor quality product??

Couple of questions....

Does anyone know where i stand on this?

How much will replacement units cost?

Regards

Chris

bulbs should not "blow" after a few hours, if you touched the bulb glass at any time (even a very small area) then that might explain some problems people encounter - but I have never seen a bulb exploding causing the glass to shatter.

lets have a look at the headlight/blown bulb

im not trying to bad mouth prolex im just wanting to find out if anyone knows where i stand. and how much replacements will cost. whether they're new or second hand.

I've had a few cars now and had to replace a fair few bulbs. i know you dont touch the glass section. just like the instructions say. I've got pics of both the bulbs and the headlight.

thanks

Chris

It will be difficult to prove blame so may be difficult in recouping any cost for headlights. Keep an eye out on eBay, also there may be a couple of people with headlights for sale on here as lots of people are trying to modify theres so have two sets.

I would have to question how the well the HID kit was fitted and as per instructions ?

This is not a snipe at your's or anyone's mechanical ability, but mistakes can happen,

& I have never heard of HID Bulbs exploding before. Best of luck getting it sorted.

They werent HID conversion kits. They were the £9.99 Meccatune Halogen bulbs. I understand were you're comin form but i know better than to touch the bulb. Made that mistake before. hehe

I (and I'm sure many others) have had the Meccatune kit for ages and never had these problems. Maybe a new batch has some kind of manufacturing defect? Do you know anyone else that has had the same issue? Does sound strange indeed...

I (and I'm sure many others) have had the Meccatune kit for ages and never had these problems. Maybe a new batch has some kind of manufacturing defect? Do you know anyone else that has had the same issue? Does sound strange indeed...

Yes actually. My friend Jay has. He told me where i could buy thre bulbs from. Then a few weeks after my bulb popped his did!

Perhaps its the climate in Aberdeen? Hehe

It definitely sounds like the bulbs were faulty, perhaps it was a bad batch and the glass wasn't as strong or perfectly formed as it should be.

Either way, it sounds like Meccatune should be responsible for this and I hope Prolex will help get this sorted. If a bulb just fails, that's fair enough, but if it explodes, there's got to be something wrong with it.

It definitely sounds like the bulbs were faulty, perhaps it was a bad batch and the glass wasn't as strong or perfectly formed as it should be.

Either way, it sounds like Meccatune should be responsible for this and I hope Prolex will help get this sorted. If a bulb just fails, that's fair enough, but if it explodes, there's got to be something wrong with it.

Thats how i felt about the situation and thats how my local citizens advice centre saw it too. I've asked for contact details for Meccatune. We'll see how it goes!