Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Still Looking For A Decent Ls400

Hi guys, im getting dispondent, lol, i Joined the site a while ago amd have been looking to purchase an old ls4 mk1/2 . I have only found 3 cars locally to view in the last 6weeks, 1 was a dog the other 2 had lost service history from about 110k (why does this always happen). but i have to admit am still considering one of them, but it would need a cambelt, the seller(trader) said hed do it in the price but i dont believe hed actually do it. lol.Apart from that car seemed ok, but underside was rough and suspension repairs aint cheap. A full mot from a trader just means big bills next mot . I cant justify travelling 180 miles snd a 6hr trip to look a car described as perfect only to get there and see another dog!!!. Does anyone know of a genuine ls 4sale?, the age shouldnt be a problem my mk2 golf is 17 , mint condition and a show winner (and for sale), so a 17 yr old car can be in good condtion, im just havin trouble finding a lexus lol. Also last rant... the fact that most people on hear have probs wiv their cars worries me!!! arnt they supposed to be super reliable? then again i spose people only post when they got a prob, sorry for ther long one , and the rant but i just wana get on and own 1 !!!!!!!!

the other 2 had lost service history from about 110k (why does this always happen).

Because generally as the car gets old it is not economical to have the car dealer services. FSH is only worth anything to the seller if it means it keeps its price high, a 15+ year old car is worth buttons, so every £200 or £300 spent on dealer services is money down the drain that you will never recoup.

I know people arnt going to have dealer service history for the reasons you give but surely when they have work done (anywhere) they can hold onto paperwork?. If a car runs out of dealer history at 110k and im looking to buy it a bit later at say 145k , few years later, it would be reasonable to expect irts had at least a servive and some repair work done, so there must be paperwork. Or basically you either take a chance and buy a car you may have to scrap on its next mot. I guesss im just gonna have to wait to find a car thats been looked after and not abused.

my budgets £2000 top, all i can see for yhat is mk1/2, will keep looking though,biggest prob is where i live , lol, nothing happens south of bristol , all decent advertised cars are so far away. anyway rant over , back to the classifieds

wellsaid that man!

You are going to struggle to find mint car as the ones that have been garaged from new and only done 60k are snapped up and the rubber bits in the supension ect are as buggered as ones with 180k.

If a dealer recons it so solid underneath and suspension wise, ask him if he'll knock 50 quid of if you take it to another garage for them to MOT, if he doesn't go for it straight off then he's probably unsure about the condition of something (prob control arms) so walk away, but if he's confident his MOTer recons it's sound then you should be ok.

I took the same risk last year and mine just went through this years mot with nothing other than a slightly rusty brake line.

Unfortunately, mine will be for sale but not untill end of the year, I'm off to the US for a while so will be looking to buy me an LS in Ilinois in december.

hi. thanks for that, pity yours is not up now lol. I test drove a silver 1on wed that has frt brake judder and blowing exhaust, trader has assured me this will be fixed and car sold with 12mths mot, its just the lack of service hist that makes me unsure. the car is sweet inside with normal wear, the outside has a few war wounds but looks the part, it would do me, just need to be sure, i dont want perfect, my mk2 golf has perfect paint and i cant park it anywhere for fear of some old gitn door denting it, so i expect to get a lexus in used cond, just need a luxury motr for the w/end, may get a mechanic to look the silver one over again, cheers

for your budget you're gonna be looking at LS400s that are mostly poo. it's gonna take you some time to find a really mint one at the price and age. good luck!

dont compare the car to a golf please. one is a family hatchback, the other is a luxury saloon. the original LS costs 35k back in 1990. to keep them in mint condition costs a lot more per year than to keep a golf in mint, especially when the suspension starts getting worn out with age and mileage.

unless you're lucky, chances are you're going to get a car for 2k that needs a suspension overhaul.

hi, yep take on board what you say about keeping them nice , a lexus would take a lot more than a golf to keep good,, im really not looking for a mint one , i reallt want something to get me around and not worry if someone opens a door on it lol. I will prob end up streching my budget and allow for some extra expense when i do decide to buy one. They cant all be bad under 2k.

hell someone else is alive under Bristol

Hi floggit, you are right, very few Lexus down this way, and LS400 are like rocking horse poo in the desert inn Devon

I had to travel to Wales to get my GS and although I have had a few problems really they are really a lot less than on other second hand cars I have bought in the past

The best thing is that all the problems are mechanical and bolt on and bolt off things that we should really expect on cars of any marque of the age we want, suspension and brakes are the main things but after all they just unbolt and new ones bolt on

Buy a Ford and you don't get an optional body kit you get an optional body, at least with a Lexus you get a solid car, I just had mine MOT and the mechanic said all the running gear and underneath was better than a new car in condition

sweet, thats what i want to hear, i have considered the gs its a lovely car and the interiors practically the same but i jst prewfer the nose of the ls, personal choice i spose, im gona rethink the brixham car, if i can get it for good money and 12mths mot, thats a goos start, and like u say, most probs are bolt on /off. thanks buddy, two entusiasts below bristol lol!!!!!!!!11

You get what you pay for. If you want a mint car, Then get some mint money. I hear this so many times within the motor trade. people these days what something for nothing.

£1,000 LS will need some work to get mint. If you can do it yourself then even better.

Around £1,500 will get you a good one with some histroy, But you again will need some little work on the common faults to put right.

£2,000 plus for a mk1 or mk2, Then I would expect Full Service histroy, Two master keys and the timing belt done.

I paied £1,200 for mine six months ago, which didn't have histroy with it, But did have some stickers around the car which indicated that it had some. It had all the common faults, But I wanted silver with black leather inside.

I done a full service which included the timing belt, plugs, leads, rotor arms, water pump, themostat, drive belt, distributors, leaking power steering pump, dash resistor, new master keys & chip, oil filter, air filter, PCV valve, transmission filter, LCD display, Rear pads, front pads and all fluids. This took me all of one weekend(19 hours) to do, But I know have a car that hasn't let me down and won't need any servicing for a while. Six months on and still going strong.

I done the above to cover the missing histroy and I think I changed more wear and tear parts then Lexus would change on a full service. Thinking of changing the oil again, but checked this week and still very clear oil and still like new.

I spent £1,000 on parts to get the car to a certain standard that give me piece of mind as I fitted all the parts and knew the condition of the car. Done the work myself so no labour to pay.

If you want a cheap runaround then look elsewhere if you're not willing to pay for the service or money for a later model. They have their common faults, but are all easy to fix once you get into them. They are very realiable and easy to drive and just love the motorway.

If you wnat a big saloon for cheap money then go for the BMW 530 with the M50 engine fitted in auto. they are easy to live with, Cheap parts now and cheap to buy. £800 should find you a good 93 K plater with histroy. Make sure it has the M50 engine only.

hi bazgtr, thanks for the comments , bmw 's not for me though, or merc, i really want something different. Havin read all the comments form people, im starting to think a car i looked at in brixham may be worth another look. Very similar to yours bazgtr, due to lack of recent history would need a service, cambelt and mayb power s pump looking at but car was lovely inside and out and was really only the history putting me off, car is silver with grey leather 1990, 1750000, and drove very well,dash was fine just ac panel to do.Bodywork was good for year and interior was excellent. im starting to convince myself to have another look this week lol. I dont want a mint car, some one always gets jealous, but hey thats the world we live in.

hi bazgtr, thanks for the comments , bmw 's not for me though, or merc, i really want something different. Havin read all the comments form people, im starting to think a car i looked at in brixham may be worth another look. Very similar to yours bazgtr, due to lack of recent history would need a service, cambelt and mayb power s pump looking at but car was lovely inside and out and was really only the history putting me off, car is silver with grey leather 1990, 1750000, and drove very well,dash was fine just ac panel to do.Bodywork was good for year and interior was excellent. im starting to convince myself to have another look this week lol. I dont want a mint car, some one always gets jealous, but hey thats the world we live in.

Hi Floggit

I have a P reg 1997 LS400 that may be for sale. In black, 147K with full Lexus history including 2 recorded cambelt changes. In great condition. Only had it a few months and took it to France for 3 weeks ...what a car! Only thinking of selling because I'm hooked and looking out for a MK3. I had a new boot seal fitted because there was a leak, the spare alloys is a bit sad because of the past leak but the others are fine. No rust in the boot btw...clean as a whistle. Also had a slight door graze repaired. Stereo back lighting usually not working but only something loose because every now and then it lights up! I Hpi'd it before purchase. Had a Lexus free safety check done when I got it.............nothing urgent but needed a bulb! I would need an offer well above your 2K to persuade me but pm me if you'd like some more info. If it's not for you I may stick it in the for sale and see if there's any interest.

VT

Floggit

believe me, when u compare a used Beemer or a Merc against a Lexus

There is no comparison

In terms of ride, quality, quietness, comfort you will not find better than a Lexus

The only thing I would say is that the beemer can be a bit faster if it has a big bmw engine, but the rest of the car won't be anything like as good, and the big beemers are more thirsty (just) than a big lexus

worth waiting for one that takes your fancy and worth travelling a few miles to get what you want

TO Vectistravellor, hi, thanks for the post, sorry my budget is 2000 at a push so i have to say sorry, goodluck tho.

To Iancornwall, dont worry, i am totally sold on the lexus thing, i love the look of the ls as opposed to the gs which is to euro for me. And im buying one for the luxury side of things not speed so no worries there, would rather arrive in style than quicky !! its about time i changed my driving style , plus if you drive sensibly you spend longer in the great car .result