Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Obd2 Interface

Mark W

Just bought an OBDII interface that connects to a laptop plus software for reading/resetting fault codes.....if anyone in Stafford/Cannock area needs them reading (for free) give me a shout....better than paying exhorbitant rates at the stealers...

I've been researching OBDII CANbus type readers, but still trying to find something that would be able to read/change the CBEST settings..

So far, it appears that the PC based systems may have a better chance doing this, as the software can be changed easier.

There is one on the market called a Launch X-431 that is supposed to be the bees knees.. but better see you bank manager if you want one..

John

And I've just ordered one of these in the hope that I'll be able to pull the fault codes from my RX...

http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/Shop/OBD2_Interfaces/mj028a.htm

Didn't go for the ELM327 version as beleive that my 2000 RX doesn't use the CAN protocol anyway, so am hoping this cheaper version should do the trick.

Will post back leter in the week to advise how I get on.

Cheers...

And I've just ordered one of these in the hope that I'll be able to pull the fault codes from my RX...

Didn't go for the ELM327 version as beleive that my 2000 RX doesn't use the CAN protocol anyway, so am hoping this cheaper version should do the trick.

Cheers...

Cheers...

Hi mate i been looking to get one too, your link does not have a Lexus Listed??? :question:

Cheers...

Hi mate i been looking to get one too, your link does not have a Lexus Listed??? :question:

You're right there. However, OBD2 with the ELM323 chipset seems to be pretty standard as far as I can make out, plus there's loads of Toyotas listed. And let's face it, my RX is just a posh Toyota!!

It's the Beamers and VWs/Audis that seem to be out there on their own and so need something special. Will post back once I've got the thing and got it working.

Cheers...

As promised, am posting back with results...

In short, it works and was dead easy to install and use. Coupla drivers need to be installed on the laptop first (these are supplied with instructions), and then the scantools.net software.

Plugged the interface into the car, started the engine, started scantools, waited a short while while comms were established and then clicked 'Read Codes'. Within a few seconds, the fault code (which happened to be P1135 - see here ) was returned. Just needed to look up the meaning on www.troublecodes.net (an example - there are others too) as the code is a manufacturer specific code. I believe that scantools will interpret generic codes for you instead.

Note that some of the other options in scantools didn't seem to be functional, so you may need to use another application if you want to use these - I think there are a quite a few available - indeed there are some others supplied.

Note that the software and drivers are supplied on 3" CDs which may not be suitable for slot loading CD drives.

So, should any other LOC members need codes read, and they can get to me in Billericay, Essex, I'd be happy to do the honours - could save you a few quid. Just let me know.

Going to try it out on Mrs sh's Smart next!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links