Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New "see Thru" Tyres

treats

NEW "SEE THRU" TIRES

Radical new tire design by Michelin. The next generation of tires.

These tires are airless and are scheduled to be out on the market very soon.

The bad news for law enforcement is that spike strips will not work on these tires.

This is what great R&D will do, and just think of the impact on existing technology:

a. no more air valves

b. no more air compressors at gas stations

c. no more repair kits

PICS HERE

Wonder what the ride will be like on these bad boys?, I used to have a set of un-popable tyres on my mountain bike and you could feel every nuck an cranny in the road!

Something similar was on Tomorrows World years ago, the tyre consisted of trapezoidal segments bolted to the wheel (shortest side in contact with the wheel, longest with the road). Michelin seem to have taken this and made the whole tyre as one piece.

Bet they'd be a heck of a job to fit, unless the wheels are made of two bolted-together dishes, like tractor wheels.

I think it's the whole wheel... as in "tweel" Tyre + Wheel

they would have to make them in different fitments, as well as sizes..

Personally, I don't think it will take off, but never getting a puncture, eliminates having to carry a spare, but I think they will be too expensive..

They could be much lighter than a wheel/trye combo, and I think the best purpose will be on aircraft, as the benefits there are very good.

John

i cant imagine them taking off either, for the reasons mentioned

obviously they've done away with sidewalls since it would probably be damn near impossible to make a durable enough version with sidewalls but that might solve more issues about it being bought as a complete wheel if it were ever possible, as sidewalls would make it fit existing rims

Can't believe that - they look like remoulds off of lorry's which litter the hardshoulders which have been salvaged and re-used

I wouldn't want to go anywhere on those - the spokey bits, whilst they appear to run across the width, are only a centimeter or 2 wide...how could they seriously hold the tread on like that?

Must be some superglue

• 3 months later...
think the tyres would go nice with these...................

glass-wheel.jpg

saw them at the SEMA show, different :huh:

Jason :P

I was thinking the same thing.. they are the ultimate in OTT mods.

more info on them here - http://videos.streetfire.net/video/be0f44f...86e003197c3.htm

The key problem i can see with the 'pressureless' tyres is loadings, the key to regular tyres is the fact you can adjust the pressures to suit, no real way of doing that with those tyres.

im sure i've seen a video of the tyres, and they made A LOT of noise!

i wouldnt have them in london, who knows if someone took a knife to it? at least with current tyres you can see a flat