Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400 - Residual Values

So, if you've got a newish VED band G car, it's 400 quid a year road tax from next year!!

I assume that all such gas cans will dive in value, as who wants to pay that money on running a second hand car? My old mans Range Rover (obviously over 225g/km of CO2) is still only 190 quid a year tax - it's a 2.5 diesel one, on an 'S' plate, not affected by the 'new way'.

Therefore does this add more strings to the bow of the 400h, nicely sitting in VED band F?

Some of the RX300 stories on here are getting frightening, is anyone ordering 350's at the moment, surely this model is dead?

Thoughts

JB

PS - I'm still on for keeping the 400h for 10 years +, nothing wrong with it!

I have posted my thoughts about the RX400h on this forum - allbeit from my real world experience.

I don't think there could have been any bigger fan of the RX Hybrid than myself, having had such a positive experience with my RX. It had been a car that we would purchase as the antural successor and upgrade to the petrol version. However I now find myself disillusioned and questioning it as a product.

Not wanting to hijack the thread (or re-post my thoughts) I think the Hybrid RX has very limited scope and actual utility.

The point you make about the Tax aspect is quite poignant and correct...and perhaps it makes a business sense to those liable for Company Car Tax liabilities (and the like). But from a Private Individual POV I don't think this Hybrid is at all what it is cracked up to be - especially with the boundries of technology being pushed by Lexus (and the other brands) that if they do crack the issue of longer lasting batteries (or atleast the current issue of the Battery drain on vehicles standing for sometime) then the case for a Hybrid becomes more pertinent but also makes these cars redundant overnight.

I think if people look at the actual functionality of these cars, then the real world case cannot be made. I think the petrol version is a far better vehicle than the Hybrid and a case in point is the handling: the RX400h is only FWD while the petrol equivalent is AWD all of the time. I don't think its a case of another string to the bow of the RX400h - but perhaps another nail in its coffin as the illusion of the Hybrid is shattered.

I can't comment on the other Hybrids - just the RX as thats one I have been able to put through its paces these last few weeks - but I don't think the technology is as good as they make out.

I don't think the RX400h is just a fad, it is a point of technological marvel that proves there are alternatives to just the petrol (and diesel) engine. I don't think that it is quite market ready as they make out and worth my money. When it comes to upgrade our RX300, it'll be the 350 or even a diesel SUV - like the X5.

Well, I think the 400h is what it is.

The point I'm making is that you get an enormous, very quick, potentially economical - if you drive it right - very comfortable motor that is 24% Benefit in kind tax for company cars (not 35% like all the others), and is still VED band F.

This has to be good news for second hand values??????

I know what you are saying about the residuals. That whereas any ordinary SUVs have a watershed date in terms of RFL after a particular date, the RX400h maintains this clear advantage over the competition because no matter what age of vehicle you still pay the lower RFL for it despite it being an SUV - it might also continue to enjoy Congestion Charge exemption in London.

I do not however see this vehicle being overly economical to drive in other than stop-start-heavily congested traffic (as in London) - but even then, after 10 minutes of nose-to-tail driving, with your A/C and radio and DVD on you will very quickly deplete the Hybrid system and then default to running the petrol engine. So where is the economy? Where is the range?

I fully accept that as a business user if you have tax liabilities to think about and you absolutely must have an SUV, then the RX400h makes a case for itself. But even then, if you look at the (poor) handling and absolute flaws with the Hybrid system, the car starts to loose its veneer. This is a heavy vehicle with stodgy handling (especially in comparison to its petrol only equivalent) because it this is a FWD vehicle only. Under hard acceleration there is far too much power going to the front only wheels (you have the engine and front electric motor powering those wheels) with lesser energy (when you can get it) going to the rear, thus resulting in noticeable uneven power delivery.

If you can afford one of these vehicle (circa £40k) then I'm sure £400 RFL isn't going to kill you - and thats why despite this car having these advantages over tis rivals, it isn't as good a prospect as the petrol (or diesel) only equivalents IMHO. The residuals o these vehicles will hit hard once the Public realise that this is a stop-gap and especially moreso when (and it is only a matter of time) before Lexus crack the hi-output Battery. These first generation Hybrids will be worthless.

The concept is nice, Lexus proves you can advance technology but the risk to gamble with £40k is far too much money better spent buying a diesel X5 which will always hold its value better (as example). I really, truly wanted to like this vehicle and aspired towards owning one. But my experience has really made me question the Hybrid RX...

It's been a while since I posted but I've kept track of the RX400h on this forum. You see I was all geared up, mind set in stone to purchase an RX400h. Great value for money, fast and economical, so did I buy one to sit next to my IS200 on the drive?

No.

I bought a new X5 3.0d SE. My X5 is a band G for RFL, but the 08MY will be band F, and get this - so will the twin turbo diesel X5!! A bit pi**ed off at this but from what I can gather I would be even more pi**ed off had I bought an RX400.

So who wins the "green" prize? BMW for a twin turbo diesel, 280BHP, 520NM torque SUV that returns 34mpg and band F tax or Lexus with a hybrid petrol/battery SUV that returns similar figures? I'm not going to try and answer that as I feel it's down to personal choice.

It is also interesting that BMW feels the need to enter into the Hybrid market - why? market pressure? I will be monitoring the progress of each manufacturers closely as I now have a foot in both camps.

BTW, I choose the BMW as it's a brand new model (hopefully better residuals) and has far superior road holding as opposed to the RX which is now 4 years old and IMO sadly lacks in the handling department. I also enjoy the option to be able to manually play with the auto box in the X5.

Rest assured though, Lexus still wins hands down for customer care - I just wish they knew how to make a decent sports vehicle.