Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Obd2 Reader - Advice Sought

Kenboss53

I have posted this on the main forum without response; hopefully someone here will be able to help....please :)

Hi all. I've recently bought a high mileage (217K) 1998 Mk II GS 300 with a full service history, but which developed a fault on the way home;

The engine stopped after about 50 miles, so I pulled over. Re-started engine no problem and carried on. After a further 10 miles or so, engine stopped again. This time, when I re-started, the 'Vehicle Stability Control System Warning Lights' and 'Malfunction Indicator Light' were both lit and the car would only travel at about 55mph max with the pedal on the floor!

Next morning; I started the car and both lights were off again and the car was back to normal. Few days later, M.I.L. was on when I switched the ignition on. Turned ignition off, back on again and the light had disappeared. Engine started OK - phew!

I have also noted a couple of other 'niggly' problems; accelerator pedal sometimes goes 'soft'; car starts to slow until pedal is pressed further down and then re-accelerates. Also, steering column only raises/lowers occasionally (probably not related?)

Anyway; after reading through many postings on the site; I have decided to purchase an OBD2 reader to connect to Laptop Computer in an attempt to diagnose problem(s). However; I'm not quite sure which one to go for. There appear to be 3 protocols and I'm sure that buying a protocol-specific reader would be far cheaper than a 'universal' model. Can anyone advise on this please? Many thanks in advance.

I'm guessing that when you state 3 protocols you are referring to OBD, ODBII and CAN?

If so - OBD codes can usually be read using a paperclip (flash light method) so no special equipment needed there

I've just purchased a combined ODBII and CAN reader.....£64 inc next day delivery and loads of software included.

Havent seen any ODBII only readers for much less than this so in terms of a little future proofing and minimal extra cost you may be better looking or a combined ODBII/CAN reader....

Good look with the car...hope you get the prob resolved....given the erratic symptoms sounds like its an electrical issue vs a mechanical one.

I'm guessing that when you state 3 protocols you are referring to ODB, ODBII and CAN?

As far as I can figure; there are different protocols used by different manufacturers, but all using the OBDII interface. Protocols include; SAE J1850 PWM, SAE J1850 VPW, ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4 as well as the new CAN (ISO 15765-4).

I've just purchased a combined ODBII and CAN reader.....£64 inc next day delivery and loads of software included.

Havent seen any ODBII only readers for much less than this so in terms of a little future proofing and minimal extra cost you may be better looking or a combined ODBII/CAN reader....

I've decided to order an ELM 327 decoder and connect to a laptop with free software downloaded from the internet. Apparently; this will read all of the above protocols; I'll let you know how I get on. It's £38.99 plus £9.99 p&p - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELM327-OBD2-CAN-BUS-...oQQcmdZViewItem

• 4 months later...

My reader arrived quickly... but not as quick as I unwrapped it and plugged it in !

told me my car was EOBD (European OBDII)

I have downloaded quite a bit of software, most work fine, some don't.. but obviously I'm looking for the best one for my car..

Hopefully, one that will read the CBEST and be able to set them... probably need something Lexus specific.. if there is one.

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links