Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Got a letter through the post from my dealer this morning saying "deals for September"..........

Among many discounts across the range, the most surprising one was that they're throwing in the MM pack for free on any IS250 and IS220d (only on SE upwards though). However, I still thought that's a reasonable chunk off the price of a car that's selling pretty well.........and would price the IS very nicely indeed

So then had a quick look on the Lexus website and saw that an IS250SE auto with MM and metallic paint retails at £31k!

Have they put the prices up, and then offering artificial discounts meaning the price is the same as it was before? I remember only recently, that an absolute top spec IS came in at about £32k or £33k? (compared to the £36k it now costs for a fully loaded SE-L)

Parthiban - these letters may be addressed as if they come from the dealer, but they will have come from/on instruction from LGB, who are trying to get in their before the new A4 comes out! £3000 saved - but if you look at Drivethedeal.co.uk, you can save more than that!!

The cars at the dealers are ones where they bought them in at standard pre-offer prices, so they will take a hit, or have to discount them.

If you went to a dealer armed with that letter, they may appear not to want to listen, but I reckon they would do a deal on any car on their forecourt.

Deals like this do nothing more than make all 2nd hand cars crash in value...it's something that prestige marques do not normally do...unless the model is coming to production end. SO if this is a Lexus initiative, then it does not bode well for resale values - an area where Lexus have generally done well. Bad news...

Sounds desperate to me!

PS - just checked out Autotrader and there are loads of cars sub £20k now, even Auto's with MM, not necessarily at Dealers, but with that valid manufactureres warranty, it doesn't matter!! It's probably a good time to get one - but I would wait until November. Car showrooms can be like the grave yeard then...

PPS - £31k for an SE with MM/Auto is correct - and any BMW/Merc prospective buyer would look at the IS, and then consider what they would be happy to give up to still buy a german exec at that price...that's what my family do!! They always look at Lexus's, and even cars like the Honda Legend, but then buy a German car for similar money with fewer toys. They decide what they don't need and go for essential extra's only...They think that the IS is way over spec'd, and keep going on about how much it would be worth if it didn't have all the stuff in - and then laught at me by saying it's actually the same as an Avensis with frills!!

I fight back by saying it's still better than theirs...take my Ice Cream and go home...knowing that my car is rare and still beautiful!

They always look at Lexus's, and even cars like the Honda Legend,

NOOOOO !!!!!! :shutit:

NEVER! I REPEAT NEVER! BUY OR DRIVE THE NEW HONDA LEGEND :shutit: :shutit:

This car has a pop-up bonnet saftey system that will cost £3k to replace, and is triggered by impact with footballs, speed-humps, pot-holes, small animals, ducks etc

Parthiban - these letters may be addressed as if they come from the dealer, but they will have come from/on instruction from LGB, who are trying to get in their before the new A4 comes out! £3000 saved - but if you look at Drivethedeal.co.uk, you can save more than that!!

The cars at the dealers are ones where they bought them in at standard pre-offer prices, so they will take a hit, or have to discount them.

If you went to a dealer armed with that letter, they may appear not to want to listen, but I reckon they would do a deal on any car on their forecourt.

Deals like this do nothing more than make all 2nd hand cars crash in value...it's something that prestige marques do not normally do...unless the model is coming to production end. SO if this is a Lexus initiative, then it does not bode well for resale values - an area where Lexus have generally done well. Bad news...

Sounds desperate to me!

PS - just checked out Autotrader and there are loads of cars sub £20k now, even Auto's with MM, not necessarily at Dealers, but with that valid manufactureres warranty, it doesn't matter!! It's probably a good time to get one - but I would wait until November. Car showrooms can be like the grave yeard then...

PPS - £31k for an SE with MM/Auto is correct - and any BMW/Merc prospective buyer would look at the IS, and then consider what they would be happy to give up to still buy a german exec at that price...that's what my family do!! They always look at Lexus's, and even cars like the Honda Legend, but then buy a German car for similar money with fewer toys. They decide what they don't need and go for essential extra's only...They think that the IS is way over spec'd, and keep going on about how much it would be worth if it didn't have all the stuff in - and then laught at me by saying it's actually the same as an Avensis with frills!!

I fight back by saying it's still better than theirs...take my Ice Cream and go home...knowing that my car is rare and still beautiful!

I wouldn't worry Jamboo. A family up the street from me had a big party and I came out of my house to find over 28 Mercedes E and C class saloons (most of them silver) of various ages parked all around. As well as thinking what a stunning lack of car buying imagination the owners showed, my IS looked outstanding compared to the backdrop of Stuttgart Taxis.