Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Few Pics. Toms 280t

Bobby Kennedy

brought it in myself, dealed with ibc in japan for the car,

yea plenty of fun to be had out of it allright, shes a fairly quick bus.

i raced my old rs200 in it the other day. me mate was drivin it, we were doin about 50 i was in 6th gear put the foot down he dropped the rs200 into 3rd and i was just playin with him. very happy with it :shifty:

Very smart.........The right colour as well.

PS, history is one of my fav subject. 1968 was when the regiment I was in amalgamated.........I was the last 10th Hussar to dismount from a horse .............Now that is another story :whistling:

nice car if a genuine one ...not saying its fake.

but your missing the front lip

photo2.jpg

the Correct rear badging is as such..

photo9.jpg

normally there is a TOM'S badge on the front grill aswell in place of the Altezza badge.

however the rear skirt, side skirts and rear spoiler look correct

TOM'S also didnt put any decals on the engine saying Limited edition, as all TOM'S cars were built by TOM'S who are not Part of Toyota, other than the obvious engine modifications,(and the pipework looks like the TOM's stuff in there :winky: ) the only visable TOM'S marking under the bonnet was a plate fixed to the top of the ecu box

photo6.jpg

picture shows, ecu TOM'S plate and TOM'S grill decal

nice car though, take super care of it, the 280's are quite fragile.....

a good check is to look at the ecu, and remember they should only be run on 100 ron fuel as that is what the TOM'S ecu is mapped for (they cannot be remapped )

cheers for the replies men.

@monster-mat

yea i have he front splitter its just off getting repaired at the minute. somebody ripped the rear 280 badge off the bootlid when it was in shipping, i was a bit annoyed when i got it, but what can you do? same with the ecu cover. i mean like what use is a used badge to anybody else, why people do it i dont know. anyway enough ranting and raving. shes no.3 on the name plate by the rad. had a mate of mine who works in toyota check out the chassis no. he contacted the main place in dublin they told him that the car left the toyota factory in japan and went to the tom's workshop, also told him that there was no parts available for the car.

have been sent in your direction a couple of times by different people, have been told that you know a good bit on turbo altezza's etc. was wonderin do you have any technical spec on the tom's 280. is there anywhere in the uk that can remap the ecu, cos all ive got off people is that the ecu cannot be mapped outside of japan without the correct software. theres not very much info to be found on the internet at all. i was thinking about emailing the tom's site directly to see about getting the technical spec on it. prob get no reply do. oh so many more questions left yet.

anyway i'd appreciate any help youll be able to give me thanks

Bobby

100 cars were originally built, most, were raced, original ones in Japan now fetch big bucks

you wont be able to get any TOM'S specific stuff from Toyota as the engines were built at the TOM'S factory as you have said

TOM'S GB used to deal with TOM'S Europe's business issues but they don't seem to be around any longer, well certainly not since late 1999-2000, when they were involved with Formula 3000

the 280t however

Engine

1.6mm metal head gasket.

standard boost is 0.6 bar 280hp runing on TOM’S spec IHI high response turbine.

Compression: 10.5

the ECU cannot be remapped in the UK, at all!, it is locked by TOM'S and would have to go back to Japan

cheers for that monster-mat,

you wouldn't happen to know what ron there supposed to be run on would you? i'm keeping it on octane booster over here until i get it mapped, do it looks like i'll have to go for an apexi power fc now to get it mapped and set up right etc. i havnt come across any other type of ecu for it yet. i think were getting 99ron over here soon maybe it would run ok on that without any octane booster. does the engine have a knock sensor the same as the rs200?

Thanks

contact Prolex as they are TOMs uk distributers and have contacts with TOMs in Japan

will do Bazza, cheers for that

@monster-mat

may not need to get it mapped after all then if we get the 99ron. it would surely be ok then with a bit of the octane booster in with the 99ron.

i may find out if they are equipped with a knock sensor then to adjust to slight inadeqecies in the fuel mixture. thanks very much for all the help monster-mat.

contact Prolex as they are TOMs uk distributers and have contacts with TOMs in Japan

will do Bazza, cheers for that

@monster-mat

may not need to get it mapped after all then if we get the 99ron. it would surely be ok then with a bit of the octane booster in with the 99ron.

i may find out if they are equipped with a knock sensor then to adjust to slight inadeqecies in the fuel mixture. thanks very much for all the help monster-mat.

no problem, 99ron with booster will be fine...

100 cars were originally built, most, were raced, original ones in Japan now fetch big bucks

you wont be able to get any TOM'S specific stuff from Toyota as the engines were built at the TOM'S factory as you have said

TOM'S GB used to deal with TOM'S Europe's business issues but they don't seem to be around any longer, well certainly not since late 1999-2000, when they were involved with Formula 3000

the 280t however

Engine

1.6mm metal head gasket.

standard boost is 0.6 bar 280hp runing on TOM’S spec IHI high response turbine.

Compression: 10.5

the ECU cannot be remapped in the UK, at all!, it is locked by TOM'S and would have to go back to Japan

I have the TOM's TEC II software on its way over :whistling:

Will enable Prolex-UK to offer full mapping/remappping for the majority of Toyota/Lexus cars using original NOT piggy back ECu's

Just sorting out the fine details.

will be able to do SC430,Altezza,IS250, new GS series,MR2 ZZW30,LS430 blah de blah...........

As Barrie stated I am the UK distributor for TOM's so may be abkle to assist in asisting you

Dave

That car is mint, I have never seen one of these before and its gorgeous.

Nice Motor mate

lovely car lads saw it on in the flesh on Sunday at Japfest, never got a spin in it though Bobby! next time maybe. It was attracting a lot of attention from the crowds. Well wear Bobby

@ Dave (prolex-uk)

cheers that could be the solution allright. will you keep me posted on when you'll be getting the software.I will have to ogranise a weekend trip to wherever your based.

@el_gencer

yes that could be done allright but expensive by the time the ecu would be bought and programmed.

@rikos

dont know exactly havnt got it dyno'd yet

@Dan

I'll bring you for a spin it it whenever the next time we all meet up again is.

thanks for the comments lads been looking for one of these for a good while now :winky: