Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parkers Valuations Hum Bug

Very sadly I thinking of changing my Lexus is220d SeL (06 Reg) with sunroof and MM for practicality reasons (just started Caravaning)need a bigger heavier car

So got a valuation from parkers (on the net) who said it was worth £23900 PX Value.

Best offer so far PX on a Freelander2 worth £24000 is £19500 :crybaby:

Salesman told me to ignore Parkers they over inflate the price and as a guesture of goodwill they would make it up the PX to £20000

So as it stands i've lost over 5k since buying the car at the end of January. So it looks like it 's towbar fitting time for my Lexxy

Disapointed :angry:

Very sadly I thinking of changing my Lexus is220d SeL (06 Reg) with sunroof and MM for practicality reasons (just started Caravaning)need a bigger heavier car

So got a valuation from parkers (on the net) who said it was worth £23900 PX Value.

Salesman told me to ignore Parkers they over inflate the price and as a guesture of goodwill they would make it up the PX to £20000

So as it stands i've lost over 5k since buying the car at the end of January. So it looks like it 's towbar fitting time for my Lexxy

You would have been Disapointed, if you had got the Freelander2 :P

Just out of interest - assuming you got offered £23900 for your car and the fact that the dealer then has to make a margin (including paying VAT on the difference between buy in and sell out price) - how much do you think the dealer could sell it for? Can you really see your car sitting on a forecourt with a sticker saying, say £25900? And as a prospective punter would you pay that for your car based what a new one costs (after discount)?

Fact is if you choose to sell any car so soon after purchase you are going to take a hit. Factor in the fact that the Freelander2 is an in demand model at the moment and any trade in is not going to be that good. The figure would change significantly if you tried PXing against an A4, for example, as they are trying to offload them before the new one comes out.

Agree with Gord, can't remember where but I recall over time hearing terrible reports about Freelanders reliability and build quality. You read something negative and it sticks in the back of your mind, I suppose it's a bit unfair to be critical when you can't quote specifics so I've looked at What Car J D Power Survey for 2007, 4x4's they compare 13, the Freelander comes equal 12th with the Vitara, bottom is the Mitsubishi Shogun.

Presumably you bought an IS because you liked it's individuality, you wanted a driver's car that was also great to look at, if not you would have bought an ordinary car.

What are the alternatives, something bigger? A 5 series and an A6 only weigh a few kilos more than your Is, how often will you be going off in the caravan? I wouldn't buy a car to fit a caravan, I'd do it the other way around. Get a van to fit the car, you can always get an awning to give you more room, if that's too much hassle look at a Fiamma Caravanstore canopy which slides into the awning rail and is erected in minutes.

...I reckon he's taking you for a ride. Shop around!

The Landrover dealer has also forgotten to tell you that he will only be passing the Lexus onto a Group Lexus dealer (if there is one) or the trade...and that if you had no Pex he'd give you 10% off the FL2 - check out DriveTheDeal.co.uk - I reckon that's what you'd get by way of discount!!

I've always used Whatcar? price valuations, and your car, if it's a manual with 15000 miles it's £20200. Add £1000 for MM and thats £21200...if it's an auto, add another £1000!!

So he's givving you £2k les for your motor, and then what about the discount on the freelander??? Does the £24k include the discount?

Wait till November, around the 18th when they have failed the months targets and try again!

PS - Landrovers - can't comment but the government is not in favour of off roaders - expect steep taxes in the future!! You're seriously better off with an A4/A6 Quattro 2.7 or 3.0l diesel!! They pull anything!!

I'm sorry. You are threatening to change your IS220d with the toys for a FREELANDER? Are you mad. The freelander will break your heart. Your IS220d will tow a caravan, all that torque would shift two of them. Think again before being stiffed by the dealer. You will have withdrawal symtoms!

Just how heavy is this caravan ? The IS220d has 400nm or 295foot pounds of torque @ 2000rpm which is the same as the freelander. It'll also have a better power to weight ratio (maybe) just be a bit pap in muddy grass, but nothing the wife or kids couldn't help with ;-)

personally i'd go the top gear route and get an evo to tow a caravan, loads of torque and its 4x4. you never see an r34 gtr towing a caravan either.

Hi guys thanks for all the advice.

You will be glad to here i'm keeping my Lexy it's having having the tow bar fitted next week £360 (if anyone's interested).

I will let you all know how it pulls the Caravan and will put pic's on the forum of the full set up. :D

Cheers Leddy

Hi guys thanks for all the advice.

You will be glad to here i'm keeping my Lexy it's having having the tow bar fitted next week £360 (if anyone's interested).

I will let you all know how it pulls the Caravan and will put pic's on the forum of the full set up. :D

Cheers Leddy

Phew, you had us all worried for a while Leddy. Sure everything will go okay now your brain's back in gear.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links