Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Frickin Bypass Cable!

So, I've bought myself a new headunit, got a new fascia and the amp bypass lead. Read everyone's comments on how to fit the bypass lead - taken off some of the trim under the glovebox, unbolted the amp, cut the loom cable ties, etc.

Now I can see which plug I need to remove, but the clip that holds it in place is facing away form me, towards the outside of the car. I'm pressing it in, pulling, twisting - nothing. I've just spent an hour trying to get the flippin thing to unplug from the amp, cut my hand up and now I've really steaming!

How the heck are you supposed to get the damn thing out of the amp? If I could get the amp out of the glovebox space, that would help, but of course it doesn't fit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Simon

Have you taken the bolt out from the bottom of the glove box by the door? this gives the surround a bit of flex.

This should give you some room to manouvre the amp.

Persuviance (sp) is the way i'm afraid. It will come out eventually.

Stav

Have you taken the bolt out from the bottom of the glove box by the door? this gives the surround a bit of flex.

This should give you some room to manouvre the amp.

Persuviance (sp) is the way i'm afraid. It will come out eventually.

Stav

Yeah taken that one out. I can move the amp forward, just can't get the stupid plug out. Like I said, I spent about an hour on it, then gave up in disgust! It looked like the plug was starting to come out, so I tried to lever it out with a screwdriver, but it was damaging the plug. As this has to plug into the bypass lead, I thought I'd better stop!

Simon

The plugs (I believe 2 cables run to the back of the amp if memory serves me correctly)

have small keyways that need pressing in before they will come free.

Yeah, I'm pressing the plug in, but still can't get the damn thing out. I guess because it's been plugged in for six years, it's gotten very comfortable and doesn't want to leave it's snug home! I'll try again at the weekend when I've got the whole day to waste!

Took me nearly 2 hours of cursing and scrapped hands, but eventually... :whistling:

I can imagine. If you lived a bit nearer, I'd try and bribe you with beer to show me how it's done! I'm sure I'll get there eventually. :crybaby:

I'm going to try a new plan of attack on Saturday. I have been pressing the clip in, but haven't been able to hold a torch and get a screwdriver held at the same time, in order to prise the plug out. Hopefully with more light, I'll have more joy.

I'm going to try a new plan of attack on Saturday. I have been pressing the clip in, but haven't been able to hold a torch and get a screwdriver held at the same time, in order to prise the plug out. Hopefully with more light, I'll have more joy.

If there are any Smurfs around your area, might be worth throwing them a few quid to try, if no smurfs available, maybe some local kids with smaller hands!

i managed to pop my dash forward a bit on the left side and this gave a bit more room. Badly cut my hand to when doing so, i think its like a "Right of passage" fore replacing your headunit!

I took all the casing/trim off in the footwell and along the bottom of the door sil and managed to get my hand up from the side when I did mine I also took all of the bolts off the amp so it moved about a bit can't remember how it unclipped but it only took me 45 mins or so to fit new head unit hope this helps.

I finally managed to do it! This time I gave a good yank on the glove box surround, which gave me enough room to get the amp out and flush to the pollen filter. I was then able to easily remove the cable and plug it into the bypass lead.

I've written a quick guide for anyone who needs it in the future!

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=45098

Simon

PS Did you get the HU yet mate?

No. I emailed him today asking where it was. He said he'd only been able to post it today, because he was waiting for a new CD. A bit odd, as he said he was selling it because he had changed his car and didn't need it, in the auction. I was planning to fit it this weekend, so if it doesn't turn up tomorrow, I'll be well annoyed!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links