Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Rx400h Se-l Owner Questions...

Hi all, newbie here. :)

Last week my wife took delivery of a new RX400h SE-L in Persian Quartz/Oakham Beige combination.

To date, she's very happy with it. Delighted in fact.

However, I've got a few questions. Both my wife and I come from a line of BMW's in the past, and indeed I still own a 6-series Convertible, so we've become used to certain features. The RX400h SE-L is obviously brimming with features, many more than even my 6-series in most respects, but there are a few things we can't quite get to grips with.

Firstly, we're unable to find a Range indicator. That is, fuel range shown in miles. Is there one hidden in the menu's of the RX400h that we've been unable to find? We thought it'd show under the Energy/Consumption screen, but to our surprise we can't see it in there. Nice graphics, yes, but no range! Surely Lexus haven't left such a fundamental feature off the car?

Secondly, is there any way the Nav system software can be hacked to get rid of the inability to use it during driving? The problem I have with it isn't that it's overly protective (even though I think it is), but that it gives no consideration for the vehicle Nav being used by a passenger in transit. On Saturday, with myself driving, it would have been useful for my wife to change our route on Nav, on the move, but of course it won't let you because it presumes it's the driver trying to do so.

Sorry to swamp you all with questions, but I have a few more too...(!)

Does anyone know if there is a Nav update to allow a 'Perspective' view on screen? What I mean by that is a 3D view, angled away from the driver, of the route, rather than the flat view. This is available in my 6 series and any BMW with SatNav Pro following a software update. My wife doesn't mind the flat display, but I must admit I prefer the 3D view - anyone know if it's available or planned?

Also, how long would you expect the batteries in the Bluetooth DVD headsets to last? Our youngest daughter is watching an endless stream of DVD's and the feature has completely changed the frustration levels when driving (i.e. there aren't any now!). However, it does make me wonder how long the batteries in the headsets last. I suspect there will be a good few occasions on which the headsets are not switched off too - any ideas on Battery life?

These are just some initial puzzles more than anything, and we're both extremely happy with the choice of car - but any help on the above would be much appreciated. :winky:

Not sure I can really add much as a new owner myself

1. I have heard that is true. Haven't found one myself.

2. I have lost track of all the threads I've read on this. Unless you are comfortable doing wire surgery then no. There is also a solution called 'lockpick 3' (I assume you can search for it in Google)

3. don't know on the 3d view . think not...

4. my headphones are infra-red...have read on lots of forums that the batteries don't last long.

Hope that helps!

2. I have lost track of all the threads I've read on this. Unless you are comfortable doing wire surgery then no. There is also a solution called 'lockpick 3' (I assume you can search for it in Google)

4. my headphones are infra-red...have read on lots of forums that the batteries don't last long.

Hope that helps!

Well thanks for you reply. :winky:

I expected a lot more to be honest. Not to worry though (so much for an 'Owners Club' forum!).

Hi.

Hope you're enjoying the new car!

wrt your Qs:

1) see my other post here

But basically, no, there isn't one!

2) Yes - but would require modification of the wiring etc. Not a good idea for warranty purposes, and it will also temporarily throw the GPS positioning off, as it make the GPS think its stationary, when its not...

3) No 3D view. But in all honesty, I prefer the 2D overhead view (e.g. when I used a Tom Tom setup in the states - much easier to count/see the a turn off in 2D)

4) Pass on that one - (and as the other person has said, its actually infra-red). Just remember to switch them off!

hth.

D. :)

There is no DTE feature in the RX 400h as:

1.How can you calculate how much further you can go as a function of petrol remaining in the tank when the car can operate some distance fully or partially using electric motors?It is impossible to calculate.

2.It is imperative with the Lexus Hybrid that you do not run out of petrol-so they tell us.So even if they could provide a "guestimate" DTE figure,they probably would prefer not to include it so as to deter people from trying to drive on fumes.

PS.The Rx300/330/350 does have a DTE feature,I am told,which implies that the above reasons are probably not wide of the mark.

There is no DTE feature in the RX 400h as:

1.How can you calculate how much further you can go as a function of petrol remaining in the tank when the car can operate some distance fully or partially using electric motors?It is impossible to calculate.

2.It is imperative with the Lexus Hybrid that you do not run out of petrol-so they tell us.So even if they could provide a "guestimate" DTE figure,they probably would prefer not to include it so as to deter people from trying to drive on fumes.

PS.The Rx300/330/350 does have a DTE feature,I am told,which implies that the above reasons are probably not wide of the mark.

This all sounds very plausable until you know that the GS450H does have this feature and I can confirm that it works very well. When we bought my wifes RX400H I asked the salesman why this was not fitted and he gave the reason you have quoted above. When I subsequently acquired my GS450H the same salesman had to agree that Lexus had missed a trick.

Hope that helps!

Well thanks for you reply. :winky:

I expected a lot more to be honest. Not to worry though (so much for an 'Owners Club' forum!).

As not so many people have the 400H there isnt too much info around and in general people dont like to start taking things apart when the car is still under warranty. However if you dont like the answers from the "owners club" dont bother asking questions here - ask lexus instead.

• 7 months later...
Firstly, we're unable to find a Range indicator. That is, fuel range shown in miles. Is there one hidden in the menu's of the RX400h that we've been unable to find? We thought it'd show under the Energy/Consumption screen, but to our surprise we can't see it in there. Nice graphics, yes, but no range! Surely Lexus haven't left such a fundamental feature off the car?

No DTE (Distance To Empty) because of the electric motors, power regeneration and fuel usage make it impossible to give a value, even if you did, the numbers would fluctuate wildly

Secondly, is there any way the Nav system software can be hacked to get rid of the inability to use it during driving? The problem I have with it isn't that it's overly protective (even though I think it is), but that it gives no consideration for the vehicle Nav being used by a passenger in transit. On Saturday, with myself driving, it would have been useful for my wife to change our route on Nav, on the move, but of course it won't let you because it presumes it's the driver trying to do so.

Yes there is, hit Menu, Volume, in that screen touch the top left corner of the screen, then the lower left, then the top left and lastly the lower left. Then hold the Override for about 4 seconds or when you hear a beep. Then go Back and you have access. it resets every time you turn off the ignition, also, have your passenger play with it NOT yourself when driving, just baaad thing can happen.

Does anyone know if there is a Nav update to allow a 'Perspective' view on screen? What I mean by that is a 3D view, angled away from the driver, of the route, rather than the flat view. This is available in my 6 series and any BMW with SatNav Pro following a software update. My wife doesn't mind the flat display, but I must admit I prefer the 3D view - anyone know if it's available or planned?

No there is not, and I dont think its coming, the GPS is the only thing I hate in this car, i carry a Garmin with me most of the time, Upgrades are expensive and suck. Never liked proprietary software stuff, Lexus should go 3dr party on GPS, because they dont give much hoot to it, after all, its not the GPS that makes the car desirable. I love it besides that, just love it . . . . hate the GPS though

Also, how long would you expect the batteries in the bluetooth DVD headsets to last?

Good time, always carry spares, i think the headsets turn off automaticaly if no IR signal present for a specified time, and no I have not tested how long.

However if you dont like the answers from the "owners club" dont bother asking questions here - ask lexus instead.

Couldn't agree more Rob, well said IMHO. Afterall, this forum like many others, has a SEARCH feature that folks can use ...